WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Issues (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Writer's Beat Quarterly | Issue 23 - August 2009 (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=19080)

Devon 07-29-2009 06:28 PM

Writer's Beat Quarterly | Issue 23 - August 2009

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2174/23cover2.jpg

Download Here

NOTE: File is large. To get it quicker, save it to your computer by right clicking the link and choosing "Save Target As" (or "Save Content/Link As"). Thanks!

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please post them in this thread or PM HoiLei (editor-in-chief), or send an email to staff@writersbeat.com

Thank you and enjoy reading!

The WBQ Editorial Team

Q Wands 08-01-2009 02:15 AM

Great cover image and wonderful email! I'm expecting the content to be splendiferous (my newest coinage) as well. :D

squire848 08-01-2009 12:35 PM

The email was indeed fabulous, very humorous =D

Firefly 08-01-2009 01:52 PM

Yeah, Winterbite! I was oh so confuzzled by that first one . . . what was with that??? :D :D :D

Ilseum 08-01-2009 02:15 PM

I didn't get the first one, so I was kind of wondering what all the fuss was about :D But I did enjoy the email! And the issue, of course! :)

Winterbite 08-01-2009 04:51 PM

There are more comments on my email than the mag! Get your priorities in order, people!

You probably didn't get it, Ilseum, because it sends the emails out in batches based on user ID number, so I managed to stop it before it got out to some of the less old members.

Devon 08-01-2009 06:41 PM

Meh. I didn't get either mass email. :(

Q Wands 08-02-2009 08:25 AM

I must be one of the 'less old' members, in tenure anyway, and I didn't see the blank email either. Now I feel neglected. Boo hiss.

As for the issue, I'll comment after I've had a chance to read it. Been busy battling the tomatoes in the greenhouse, which obviously have a triffid mania. I swear they were posing a full assault on myself, the auberigines, and all the chilli peppers! :eek:

Icarus 08-04-2009 04:33 AM

Am I the only person who got two emails, neither of which was blank?

HoiLei 08-04-2009 05:34 AM

Maybe! :D

Mridula 08-04-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus (Post 215111)
Am I the only person who got two emails, neither of which was blank?

Nope, we're both ancient. April 2006, if I remember right.

Nice cover, this issue. I'm waiting for it to load, but I'm sure the content will be just as good.

Icarus 08-04-2009 10:11 AM

My dear Mridula, we are even more ancient than you say.

HoiLei 08-04-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mridula (Post 215420)
Nice cover, this issue. I'm waiting for it to load, but I'm sure the content will be just as good.

Thanks! It's a large file (a glitch I'll iron out for next time); you might be better off saving it straight to your computer.

Mridula 08-04-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus
My dear Mridula, we are even more ancient than you say.

Ah, yes. My apologies. :D (I've missed this silly green face!)

WBQ has loaded. It wasn't a problem; I had several other things running at the same time.

Congratulations for making such a professional issue! I remember how they were hellish to make back when we didn't know the software, so I definitely understand how much effort must have gone into this. It speaks for itself. Good work, you guys!

Winterbite 08-06-2009 10:48 AM

This whole e-mailing thing is weird, to say the least! Icarus got two, Devon got none. Something's messed up!

Daedalus 08-06-2009 11:06 PM

I got one. I joined at the same time as Queen, so I can't understand her not getting one.

Q Wands 08-07-2009 12:28 PM

I received one email with the message, but no blank email. No big deal since I know where to look for the zine anyway. :)

SW 08-08-2009 12:16 AM

I must pass my congratulations on to the staff for producing yet another issue. A very interesting read, in the least. ;)

Devon 08-08-2009 01:02 AM

Hey, SW!

Quote:

A very interesting read, in the least.
So what is it at the most? :D

Janx 08-08-2009 04:15 AM

This is the first WBQ I've had the joy of reading through. Well done! Absolutely love it and it's of such a professional quality. Mad props for taking the time to put it together. Be proud. :D

I'd just like to say that the piece, 'Woes of Writing' was absolutely hilarious. Loved it.

SW 08-19-2009 01:21 AM

Quote:

So what is it at the most? :biggrin:
A very professional-looking -- no, a professional -- magazine that has improved incredibly and happens to make me eagerly await the next issue?

That's second least.

Not telling most. :D

HoiLei 08-19-2009 05:55 AM

Oh, you coy thing!

DasTränegras 08-19-2009 11:09 AM

I'm on dial-up. Is there any way for me to get the issue without having to wait for 53 minutes(the download time.)?

Firefly 08-19-2009 11:13 AM

I think that you can right-click the link and save it directly to your computer.

Winterbite 08-22-2009 04:38 PM

Well, one way is to use a computer with a faster connection :D

I'm afraid we don't have a text-only issue out, but that is an idea.

SW 08-22-2009 11:36 PM

Yes, I was about to suggest that, actually... I mean, it'd be a lot simpler.

To be honest, and don't take it the wrong way, but a few of the images can be dropped. Not that it matters, if it's possible to compress a PDF or something similar?

Daedalus 08-23-2009 02:46 AM

Sorry, SW, I don't agree with you. I think the images embellish the writing. I must admit that I didn't give much input in regards to the image department when I worked on the 'zine, but Devon and Queen always worked hard to get the right pictures for each article and story, and it's a credit to them how well the 'zine is doing and how much it has evolved since issue one.

Pictures don't necessarily make the magazine, but they provide a resplendent backdrop which gives it an air of authenticity. And while a text-only 'zine may be an option for those who cannot download large files, I think taking away the images completely would be a huge mistake.

Just my $0.02.

HoiLei 08-23-2009 05:49 AM

I like the images, too. I'm always interested in how different media play off each other. However, you'll all be glad to know that we're trying our darnedest to make the next issue a smaller file to download. :) The size of this one is a side effect of my being new to zine layout and the programs involved.

Paco 08-23-2009 04:32 PM

You can likely lessen the density of the images without spoiling the artistic impact. Most internet photography is much too elaborate for the subject matter.

SW 08-24-2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Sorry, SW, I don't agree with you. I think the images embellish the writing.
Oh please, don't get me wrong... indeed, it's hard to get hold of free stock images... (though recently Time paid $30 to a photographer for a front cover. $30... for a leading US magazine! Outrageous!) and yes, free stock images, as of course the WBQ is a volunteer magazine...

I'm just saying that there are a few images that could be unnecessary or be replaced with something a little more adaptable and suited.