WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Writer's Beat Quarterly (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Usernames in WBQ? (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=31073)

Hilee Coco 05-01-2011 09:59 AM

Usernames in WBQ?

One of my favorite things about WB is becoming familiar with the various members: getting a sense of them both as writers and as people. But when I look through WBQ, I'm confronted with many unfamiliar names, with no faces (or avatars) to correspond to them. Could we identify people both by their real names and their usernames?

Firefly 05-01-2011 01:06 PM

Some people want to keep things separate. They are offered to be under username or pen name or real name. And as tied to the forum as the WBQ is, it still is viewed (at least by us) as a semi-separate entity. Most people can put the two together, though--the stories posted in the Quarterly are usually from contests--so you can put the two together and figure out who is who :)

Beckahrah 05-03-2011 09:26 AM

So when's the new one going up? :)

Firefly 05-03-2011 10:16 AM

We're actually running a couple days late with it for this issue. It should be up in the next few days! :)

KBR 03-19-2012 09:52 AM

I think you can probably know more about someone by what they write than you can by knowing their name and the particulars of their life. If everyone is trying to develop a 'Voice', then, surely the voice can only be their own. Even if you mimic another, that tendency says something about you. It might be interesting to paint impressions of the fellow writers that we feel we've come to know. It could well be a dangerous endeavor too. But if you only wrote about those who were high in your esteem, then, it would limit the output to good impressions only. This is just a follow on to your idea.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilee Coco (Post 414185)
One of my favorite things about WB is becoming familiar with the various members: getting a sense of them both as writers and as people. But when I look through WBQ, I'm confronted with many unfamiliar names, with no faces (or avatars) to correspond to them. Could we identify people both by their real names and their usernames?

shumila 01-15-2015 09:32 AM

Looking forward to hear you soon and just to give you an idea of my work, I am forwrding you the link of some of my uploaded work

Whiskers 01-17-2015 04:57 AM

Shumila, this thread is few good years' old. I recmmend not sending any links to members, as when the WBQ is usually up and running again, there will be a submissions guideline to follow. WBQ is not running at the moment. :)

robert eggleton 07-08-2015 10:21 AM

So Many Mags Have Gown Down

Perhaps, but not necessarily the most affected by technology, has been the long-standing science fiction / fantasy mags and zines, along with the hand-delivered local fiction/poetry/political zines (their owners couldn't afford postage). "This is the age of technology, a mechanical nightmare..." (The Kinks, 1970). Good luck to WBQ. It would be very cool to have another option for writers to request independent reviews of their published works so as to better compete with established outlets.

Miles Long 01-18-2016 05:07 PM

Hi HiLee Coco,
I'm new, not all that familiar with working inside forums, WB seems to be rather frustrating but I guess the fog will clear when I achieve 10 posts. Like writing, I'll keep on slogging away...
Cheers,
Miles Long

Miles Long 01-18-2016 05:10 PM

Hi Robert,
I'm new, not all that familiar with working inside forums, WB seems to be rather frustrating but I guess the fog will clear when I achieve 10 posts. Like writing, I'll keep on slogging away...
Only 8 posts to go.
Cheers,
Miles Long