WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Writing Help & Issues (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   How much LGBT do you include? (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=61282)

tremor 03-08-2017 01:18 PM

How much LGBT do you include?
 
When it comes to developing your characters, or even creating them- how much LGBT do you include?
I'm currently writing a police drama trilogy, where I've so far featured a lesbian police dispatcher, who is a primary character.
My plan was, in the 3rd installment to have another one of my previously established female characters question her sexuality.
I've since had a few friends read through, and shared some of these details with them. They all thought that I had written my LGBT character well, given her complex backstory, but they questioned the need to have another LGBT character.
I'm not set in developing my characters this way, but I personally feel that this is the way our world is, and that's how I should portray it as.
I also had someone point out that I'm male and have thus far only written lesbian characters; which is, I'll agree extremely one-sided.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S4 Using Tapatalk

Nick Pierce 03-08-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tremor (Post 731047)
When it comes to developing your characters, or even creating them- how much LGBT do you include?
I'm currently writing a police drama trilogy, where I've so far featured a lesbian police dispatcher, who is a primary character.
My plan was, in the 3rd installment to have another one of my previously established female characters question her sexuality.
I've since had a few friends read through, and shared some of these details with them. They all thought that I had written my LGBT character well, given her complex backstory, but they questioned the need to have another LGBT character.
I'm not set in developing my characters this way, but I personally feel that this is the way our world is, and that's how I should portray it as.
I also had someone point out that I'm male and have thus far only written lesbian characters; which is, I'll agree extremely one-sided.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S4 Using Tapatalk


The "previously established female character" is gonna ask the cop if she (the cop) is gay?

brianpatrick 03-08-2017 07:10 PM

I never think about that. I never think: hey, I should include an LGBT character.

I am writing a short story where the MC is a gay man, but that's just because he is. It works out funnier that way in this one.

tremor 03-08-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 731048)
The "previously established female character" is gonna ask the cop if she (the cop) is gay?

Doh. I should've worded that differently. I meant it like an internal struggle.
I'm just wondering if I'm crossing a line here, I'm not writing gay characters for the point of them being gay- they just happen to be characters that I've designed as gay, just sort of because I can.
Am I over-thinking this?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S4 Using Tapatalk

Nick Pierce 03-09-2017 02:26 AM

[QUOTE=tremor

Am I over-thinking this?

[/QUOTE]


Overthinking it?
Yeah.

Write on.

Mohican 04-20-2017 09:12 PM

How much LGBTQEIEIO would I include? It is nothing I would portray in a positive light, so it would be a question of how depraved, silly, or silly and depraved I wanted to portray a bad guy/gal as.

A conscious effort to include LBGTQEIEIO's stems from a desire to shift the culture. That leaves it up to the Author to decide how much of a shift he/she is trying to make.

brianpatrick 04-20-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohican (Post 731989)
How much LGBTQEIEIO would I include? It is nothing I would portray in a positive light, so it would be a question of how depraved, silly, or silly and depraved I wanted to portray a bad guy/gal as.

A conscious effort to include LBGTQEIEIO's stems from a desire to shift the culture. That leaves it up to the Author to decide how much of a shift he/she is trying to make.



The culture, like the world, IS shifting. Holding on to traditional values is futile and paints a person in a specific light, obvious and almost silly to the bulk of the moderate mIddle.

I love when you have a posting spree, Mo. I never know what you're going to say next. Oh wait... yes I do.

Myers 04-20-2017 09:36 PM

I once wrote a story about with LGBT characters in it. A few of the people who read it turned gay. I even felt a little tingly in my special area. Never again!

Mohican 04-20-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 731992)
The culture, like the world, IS shifting. Holding on to traditional values is futile and paints a person in a specific light, obvious and almost silly to the bulk of the moderate mIddle.

I love when you have a posting spree, Mo. I never know what you're going to say next. Oh wait... yes I do.

There is no stopping a man who knows he's right, and keeps on coming. Texas Rangers via Louis LaAmour

Aligning yourself with a moderate middle is embracing the suck.

Hard Shell Baptists and Trad Caths are gaining ground, and finding some common cause in the battle against Moloch. The pendulum is swinging to the light

Mohican 04-20-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myers (Post 731993)
I once wrote a story about with LGBT characters in it. A few of the people who read it turned gay. I even felt a little tingly in my special area. Never again!

It's good that you feel at least partially chastised, Meyers.

brianpatrick 04-20-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohican (Post 731996)
There is no stopping a man who knows he's right, and keeps on coming. Texas Rangers via Louis LaAmour




https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

zenj 06-11-2017 11:56 PM

A little lgbt

Prodigalson 06-14-2017 08:14 AM

I've always considered myself a lesbian, because I like pussy just as much as the next guy, but I've never understood the desire to have a "gay" character, just for their gayness.

I mean, there are gay people in the world, but I find the ones who let that define them to be somehow lacking. Would a "straight" person make a point of letting everyone know he fucks his wife in the ass while dressed in pirate gear? Probably not, because that's kind of a private matter, as is anything that goes on in the bedroom, including the sex of whom you scrog.

If the gayness (or lack thereof) of the characters plays into the story, then by all means write it in, but if you feel like you're over-thinking it, you probably are.

Myers 06-14-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigalson (Post 733445)
I mean, there are gay people in the world, but I find the ones who let that define them to be somehow lacking.

I really don't know any gay people who define themselves entirely by their sexual orientation.

I'd say that's more of a perception of straight people when they see gay people just living their lives and not making any effort to hide it or be unnecessarily discreet -- or if they're speaking out in any way about how they're being treated or considered. Because that's just flaunting it -- right?

Otherwise, we still live in a world where a lot of straight people define gay people by their sexuality and often in a negative way. I'd say it's a good bet that if anyone is defining themselves to some degree by their sexuality, it's a reaction to that.

And so what -- what difference does it make anyway?

Myers 06-14-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigalson (Post 733445)
Would a "straight" person make a point of letting everyone know he fucks his wife in the ass while dressed in pirate gear? Probably not, because that's kind of a private matter, as is anything that goes on in the bedroom, including the sex of whom you scrog.

So if you're out and you see a man and a woman who are obviously a couple and somehow "letting everyone know" it -- what do you think? Oh no -- they're going to go home and fuck!

And if you did -- how would that be their problem?

Myers 06-14-2017 12:31 PM

Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm thinking maybe you're of a certain age?

Or maybe you don't live around or work with any gay people or couples?

I do. And I don't see any gay people making a point to say who they are fucking or how.

Could it be you're cooking this up based on your own discomfort?

Maybe something to think about.

Prodigalson 06-16-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myers (Post 733446)
I really don't know any gay people who define themselves entirely by their sexual orientation.

I'd say that's more of a perception of straight people when they see gay people just living their lives and not making any effort to hide it or be unnecessarily discreet -- or if they're speaking out in any way about how they're being treated or considered. Because that's just flaunting it -- right?

Otherwise, we still live in a world where a lot of straight people define gay people by their sexuality and often in a negative way. I'd say it's a good bet that if anyone is defining themselves to some degree by their sexuality, it's a reaction to that.

And so what -- what difference does it make anyway?

You obviously know different people than I.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myers (Post 733447)
So if you're out and you see a man and a woman who are obviously a couple and somehow "letting everyone know" it -- what do you think? Oh no -- they're going to go home and fuck!

That's not what I said at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myers (Post 733451)
Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm thinking maybe you're of a certain age?

Or maybe you don't live around or work with any gay people or couples?

I do. And I don't see any gay people making a point to say who they are fucking or how.

Could it be you're cooking this up based on your own discomfort?

Maybe something to think about.

I'm not understanding what you think I might be "cooking up". I know a couple of gay men who emphasize their sexuality to the point that there is no other side of them. Everything comes back to their gayness, and it makes them seem as if they don't believe they have anything else of interest to help define them, i.e., leaves them lacking.

Just an observation. No need to get bristly.

And this is Humboldt County. Everyone lives around or works with some gay people or couples, even if they don't know it.

Nick Pierce 06-16-2017 01:46 PM

How did the terms gay and straight get attached to the two lifestyles they represent?

No need for the island of Lesbos explanation.

Nick Pierce 06-16-2017 01:51 PM

And isn't there a title for people who have not voiced a proclivity?

CandraH 06-16-2017 03:06 PM

Haha this poster is such a weirdo. Always posting about some story they're writing about police officers and asking questions about what this character or that would do in whichever situation. They pop up under different usernames and use slightly different story scenarios each time but its the same person. I remember one about a kid getting kidnapped one time, on this forum and a different one. I think the poster got banned because a lot of us started getting weird pms asking all kinds of personal questions. Cant remember the usernames but the mo is the same. Fucking internuts lol. Takes all sorts I suppose.

CandraH 06-16-2017 03:07 PM

P.s. the op by the way, in case anyone thinks I'm talking about Myers or Prodigalson.

Or Nick since he's in the fray too.

This is what happens when I post without looking through all the replies first oops.

brianpatrick 06-16-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandraH (Post 733536)
P.s. the op by the way, in case anyone thinks I'm talking about Myers or Prodigalson.

Or Nick since he's in the fray too.

This is what happens when I post without looking through all the replies first oops.



Nick and Myers and Proddy are weirdos too.

Myers 06-16-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigalson (Post 733517)
I know a couple of gay men who emphasize their sexuality to the point that there is no other side of them. Everything comes back to their gayness, and it makes them seem as if they don't believe they have anything else of interest to help define them, i.e., leaves them lacking.

OK. So maybe next time indicate that you have some broader understating.

Because you didn't do yourself any favors with the whole cliche "I must be a lesbian" gag.

It suggests a blinkered outlook -- along with the your keep it private and don't flaunt it comments.

Maybe my view is skewed, because out of all the gay people I know, my family, friends, colleagues etc. I've never met anyone who defines himself by being gay.

And if I did know "a couple of gay men" who fit that description, I probably wouldn't bother to mention it as anything that is significant or noteworthy.

But maybe that's just me.

Prodigalson 06-17-2017 03:31 AM

It's just something for the OP to consider in their quest to include the "proper" amount of gayness in their character. Their are many nuances to be considered when writing (not that this particular OP would be capable of picking up on them), and this is merely one of them.

And I don't regard it as significant or noteworthy, either -- unless it happens to have some relevance to a question asked on an internet writer's forum.

Nick Pierce 06-17-2017 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 733526)
And isn't there a title for people who have not voiced a proclivity?

So, Mr. Pierce, do you think the op is gay, straight, bi, trans, lez (or is that les?) or ... well what else is there?

Nick, is this a device used to address your original query?

Myers 06-17-2017 04:50 AM

Prodigalson, you seem like a pretty evenhanded and reasonable guy.

The thing is, usually when you hear something akin to the phrase, "what people do in the bedroom is their business," what it really means is, don't do anything in front of me or say anything remotely connected to sex that any normal heterosexual couple could do or say without notice.

And I do think the guys you described -- that is a generational thing for the most part -- and I think in most cases it is -- or was -- an overreaction to general attitudes.

Yep -- many nuances -- both in writing and real in life.

madisheridan 08-05-2017 07:05 AM

I feel like you shouldn't force yourself to include LGBT characters just because you feel like you have to. It may not seem organic in the plot in this case

GrandInquisitor 02-12-2018 05:07 PM

Since I'm an ace lesbian: a lot.

My dwarf king is gay. His niece is a lesbian. Her phoenix girlfriend is pan. The human mentor type is ace.

brianpatrick 02-12-2018 05:13 PM

What’s an “ace” lesbian? I know I could google, but I suspect it will be much more fun having you tell it.😀


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:06 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.