WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Non-Fiction (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Happy Birthday (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=62511)

Nick Pierce 07-19-2018 06:59 AM

Happy Birthday

Midday Sunday drivin' my '92 Ford Pickup when the motor stops makin' on noise. Listenin' to the radio as I neutral coast to a shady spot.

AAA comes, we go to a car repair shop where I part time weekend help. Owner is doin' paperwork and checks out truck. Says I need to take it to another repair shop he recommends Monday morning.

7:am I'm at his shop callin' AAA.
Same driver shows up, I toss my bicycle into pickup bed and we go to new place.

Leave it and I bicycle home.
1st shop owner calls me and asks what's up.
I tell him I'm just waitin' for a diagnosis call.

He offers the use of his car for the day. I bicycle to his shop (again) and drive his car the 12 miles to my job.
Monday is always the most work day. The guy I work with ain't there and, an hour late, my boss is glad to see me.

Tues. & Wed. the boss pays
Uber fare to ferry me
workwise.

That's enough and I figure to ride my '75 Sporty to Thursday work and Friday if the truck ain't fixed (timing belt broke).

Putt to store Wed. eve for groceries.

Now I'm in the parking lot waitin' for AAA to show up.

Why?

The scoot won't fire off.

I think it is the solenoid but know enough to not try fixin' stuff in the field when I can do it at home.

And after this I still have one more tow from AAA then I must pay (until I re-up in October).

Oh, the title?

This body is 66 years today.

Party on, y'all.

Prodigalson 07-19-2018 08:31 PM

I go through the same shit with a '70 Ford F-350 dually dump and a 21 year old Ranger, but I'm not smart enough yet to get Triple-A.

Maybe in nine years I will.

Happy Birthday, Nick.

Grace Gabriel 07-20-2018 02:32 PM

Maturing like a good malt whiskey.

Happy birthday Nick x

brianpatrick 07-20-2018 04:01 PM

Was the 19th really your birthday? Terrible time to have a birthday in Arizona... Florida too, I suspect.

Nick Pierce 07-21-2018 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigalson (Post 746461)
I go through the same shit with a '70 Ford F-350 dually dump and a 21 year old Ranger, but I'm not smart enough yet to get Triple-A.

Maybe in nine years I will.

Happy Birthday, Nick.

Workin' out the bus to work thing. Not gonna get blocked by the same type of problem twice.

A man's gotta get to his job, eh?

Nick Pierce 07-21-2018 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel (Post 746480)
Maturing like a good malt whiskey.

Happy birthday Nick x

When you say that all my troubles just float away.

Nick Pierce 07-21-2018 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 746482)
Was the 19th really your birthday? Terrible time to have a birthday in Arizona... Florida too, I suspect.

I scribbled the piece on a (ha) piece of paper waitin' for the lift (driver turned out to be a rider).

Didn't get to the keyboard until the following day.

Yeah, it is hot ("terrible time"?) in Florida. Thinkin' I should get the truck's AC fixed this year.

Prodigalson 07-21-2018 10:35 AM

Heh. Whenever it gets over 65 here, I think about the Ranger's air conditioning, but then it tops out at about 72, and I forget about it again.

Inland it's hotter, and I spent some time in West Texas and Southern California, working in triple digits (127 in the shade was the hottest). I don't miss it at all.

daes13 08-09-2018 04:19 PM

A few determiners would help clean the flow a bit in my opinion, and it shouldnt hurt the tempo.

Nick Pierce 08-10-2018 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daes13 (Post 747579)
A few determiners would help clean the flow a bit in my opinion, and it shouldnt hurt the tempo.

How about quoting it with italiced determiners in place to show what you are telling me?

daes13 08-10-2018 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 747583)
How about quoting it with italiced determiners in place to show what you are telling me?

On a phone, so that definitely wont happen. Its really hard to do that stuff on this miniscreen.

I'm sure you will see a few places that could use "the, a, an" next read through. Not all but a few just make my mind stumble, could just be me though.

Nick Pierce 08-10-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daes13 (Post 747584)
On a phone, so that definitely wont happen. Its really hard to do that stuff on this miniscreen.

I'm sure you will see a few places that could use "the, a, an" next read through. Not all but a few just make my mind stumble, could just be me though.

Oh, now I get what you're lookin' for.

I purposely leave out a lot of little words like those.
I want the work to move along at a brisk pace.

Thanks for your considerations about the form.

daes13 08-10-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce (Post 747589)
Oh, now I get what you're lookin' for.

I purposely leave out a lot of little words like those.
I want the work to move along at a brisk pace.

Thanks for your considerations about the form.

Yeah most of them flowed well for me, just a couple made me stumble. After work ill read back through and point them out for your consideration sir