WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Free Writing (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Politics (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=61886)

Cityboy 12-19-2017 02:25 PM

Politics

Politics

1. "Seek ye first the political kingdom and all things shall be added unto you." ...Kwame Nkrumah

2. "An honest politician is one who, when he is bought, will stay bought." ...Simon Cameron: quoted by Thomas B. Reed

3. "Politics is the conduct of public affairs for private advantage." ...Ambrose Bierce

4. "Politics is the science of who gets what, when, and why." ...Sydney Hillman

5. "You cannot adopt politics as a profession and remain honest." ...Louis McHenry Howe

6. "A good one (politician) is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar." ...H.L. Mencken

brianpatrick 12-19-2017 03:54 PM

So, if you were to give a good blow-job, how would you do it?

This is a good writing exercise because it forces you out of your comfort zone and makes you really think about a reality youíd probably not find yourself in.

Go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Myers 12-19-2017 04:40 PM

Thanks to google, any idiot can collect quotes to support a point of view -- in this case that politicians are self-serving. Oh, no shit!

brianpatrick 12-19-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myers (Post 739512)
Thanks to google, any idiot can collect quotes to support a point of view -- in this case that politicians are self-serving. Oh, no shit!

How about that blow-job exercise? I think you too could benefit. Anybody can post.

Myers 12-19-2017 04:46 PM

What's the point of the exercise?

I know exactly how I would do it and how to describe it. :)

brianpatrick 12-19-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myers (Post 739515)
What's the point of the exercise?

I know exactly how I would do it and how to describe it. :)

In your case then, maybe you could teach somebody something. Consider it charity... for the less fortunate.

brianpatrick 12-19-2017 04:54 PM

After all... itís the giving season.

Myers 12-19-2017 05:00 PM

Well, if someone writes a blowjob scene and I don't think it rings true, I'll definitely give them the benefit of my expertise.

But they'll have to guess the P.O.V.

brianpatrick 12-19-2017 05:13 PM

Maybe CB will start the ball rolling.

Prodigalson 12-20-2017 10:11 AM

Only two things are neccesary for a good blowjob: enthusiasm and completion.

If I can get over my natural shyness I'll write about it.

By the way, BP: Way to hijack a thread.

Myers 12-20-2017 12:32 PM

Yeah -- some are better than others -- but I don't think I've ever had a bad one.

brianpatrick 12-20-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigalson (Post 739533)
Only two things are neccesary for a good blowjob: enthusiasm and completion.

If I can get over my natural shyness I'll write about it.

By the way, BP: Way to hijack a thread.

Yeah, I forgot youíre the shy type. Remember itís just an exercise to bring a writer out of his comfort zone. Iíd write it myself, but it was my idea for the prompt, so I donít want to spoil the opportunity for the rest of yíall.

I jacks Ďem as I see Ďem.

Cityboy 12-21-2017 08:30 AM

Unlike western culture, leadership in most Native-Americans tribes was gained through two avenues: bravery or generosity. A stark contrast to the method used in western civilization, which usually awards leadership through deceit and corruption. It yet remains a mystery to me why the "sheepeople" in the west argue with one another to a point of near hatred over the candidates they have elected to office when nearly all of the elected officials have dirty hands.

fleamailman 12-21-2017 02:55 PM

("...they're nice quotes, thanks for sharing..." went the goblin, adding "...btw I received some PMs today, so we've lost yet another member because she feared that at this rate she'd turn into a troll, and that the negativity was turning her defensive, which is the reason why I balance myself between these trolls forums for the freedom of speech and here for its creativity, real pity because her posts were probably the most well written among us, but after seeing this thread as an example can you really blame her...", the night was cold now, and way past the goblin's bedtime too, and where he should have been happy at making 10000hits in two months, something that anyone here could do, instead he was looking at posters too defensive to post, and others leaving because of it)

brianpatrick 12-21-2017 05:46 PM

Politics

The forum as it exists is a small model of real life without the real-world consequences. None of us know each other personally. Itís basically a role play. Some are honest. Some are dishonest. And there are many in between.

The written word is powerful. It is. But itís not real life. And if it Becomes real life it is the ultimate art.

I try to make this art. I donít know why, but I do. In my writing and in my posts.

I think... if a person cannot stand in front of the reality of the written word (no matter what it is) then theyíre missing something. Maybe they think itís more real than it is. Dunno.

If you let the word keep you from participating then itís on you.

Here is an opportunity to say what you really want to say but canít in the real world. Itís cathartic. And to the extent that real people get really hurt by it?

Meh. They donít understand the game.

Again, if you really want to know me you can call me. My name is Tim and my cell # is: (480) 582-8727. Until then, itís just words on a page.

Edit: Iím not interested in members, but honest conversation. Whatever that means.

fleamailman 12-22-2017 02:06 AM

("...naah, games are for children, you're older than that I hope, I mean what is the point of this forum if your sole reason for being here is newbie bashing by it, because no one comes here for the knocks yet most seem to leave because of them, how many more will leave before you grow up..." replied the goblin thinking at least cityboy puts in out there whereas brianpatrick couldn't put it out there so he had to reduce it to a game in his mind alone to excuse his inability to himself mostly, adding "...look, writing is objectively one's journey to self here, or else subjectively it's just one's journey to death as it always was, where the difference is in one's objectivity alone, and where that doesn't sound like a game to me..." in fact, the goblin never encouraged anyone to give out their personal details like Tim had done, explaining "...please don't give out your personal information, for once online you swim with the sharks, where perhaps no one is really anonymous I know, but that doesn't mean that you have to make it any easier for them to target you...")

Myers 12-22-2017 04:24 AM

BP puts plenty "out there" -- plus he's one of the most consistently helpful to people who post fiction -- which is actually the raison d'etre of the site.

fleamailman 12-22-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myers (Post 739571)
BP puts plenty "out there" -- plus he's one of the most consistently helpful to people who post fiction -- which is actually the raison d'etre of the site.

("...ok, if that was so, then why is this thread the way you see it here, ..." replied the goblin, adding "...no, as dim as you may seem Myers I hope you're trying to say that you two were somehow helping cityboy to write there, that blowjobs helps one to clear one's mind to write, though perhaps in the case of two nameless dickheads that might actually be true now, however, we're losing members by this trolling, time for a little rethink of our priorities perhaps...", in fact, the goblin was the exact opposite in outlook to what brianpatrick had related before, in that he knew he too could say anything, but he didn't though, because he also understood that those readers would rightly turn away for better pastures elsewhere, thus he had to compromise partly to those readers if he was ever going to get them to see things his way eventually, smiling "...a troll has no readership, why, because he can't compromise anything so he just loses everything by that lack of compromise therein, simply readers pay me with their time while I get to relate that which amuses me mostly..." where compromise was never a total surrender to their expectations now, no instead it was more like a compromise towards one's longterm goal here)

Myers 12-22-2017 06:08 AM

Well, if you want to look at a few threads in a vacuum, or how one deals with a particular member and apply it across the board, so be it...

fleamailman 12-22-2017 06:43 AM

("...no I'll leave be now, I'm spent..." replied the goblin, adding "...I know I'll miss her though, where unlike her, most posters here are clueless about the concept of readership, where at least you Myers started your own thread, I'll credit you there, Mohican too, I think that's the first step in building one's readership, and who doesn't want a readership I ask myself..." in fact, the goblin kind of knew that if one started a new thread each time then no one bar someone who hit the "new post" button would ever find it, whereas anyone who bumped their own thread with new content sent out a notification to those subscribed that something new had been written, smiling "...see, nothing I ever do is by chance...")

Myers 12-22-2017 06:50 AM

You have a very specific idea of what should go on here -- about this idea of "readership" that you've cooked up for yourself.

Other people are here for different reasons and different kinds of interactions. Not really sure why that's so hard for you to grasp.

Otherwise, there are dozens of threads going on at any time where folks are getting along just fine or at least keeping things relatively civil.

If someone ignores that and focuses on a few posts that could easily be avoided -- that doesn't seem particularly astute to me. And this notion that you can be turned into a troll against your will is pretty weird.

Otherwise, I think you have WAY to much invested in all this.

Maybe you should diversify and find another hobby or two -- like building bird houses or collecting snow globes...

fleamailman 12-22-2017 07:15 AM

("...not quite true, as I suspect that most folks want that rapport as you mention there, but that also they're here for getting themselves read, albeit book readership perhaps, whereas me I just don't differentiate between those two readerships, the reader of the book is the same person who sees the post, hence my goal is twofold, get known and get read..." replied the goblin who didn't write books because he didn't see anyone reading much beyond the odd glance through the newspaper in the bistro, whereas he couldn't count the number throughout his day of people looking at stuff online, then adding "...no, don't get me wrong, I like rapport too, I always have, but we've been through this before in that this forumland is like a forest where if you don't have a good sense of direction then those years simply can pass with nothing to show for your having been here, meaning me I'm methodical, I post in a circle of air/eidt/backup...", where the readership to the goblin was ever this here now, rather than elsewhere later)

brianpatrick 12-22-2017 08:52 AM

I think you are missing the point here Flea. Defending CityBoy is a waste of time. He wonít care. He will still be the same antagonist troll and shit starter heís always been. Heís here for the same reason heís always been here. He likes to start shit.

And... it IS a game. We both play it and so do Joe and Ed. All this butthurt talk is just part of it. Nobody involved is Home crying about it.

If someone left, they left.

fleamailman 12-22-2017 11:52 AM

("...and what if everyone left..." remarked the goblin suspecting that he'd just stay in his corner though, then adding "...yes it's a pity that this game has to be done on this forum, but then again I suppose we could bill it as "the three stooges do their very own goon show, please enjoy or ignore", who knows this might be what those readers want to read today...", yet either way the goblin's mind was more on events occurring in poland at this point, relating "...the break up of the EU is no relaxed matter, simply continental europe has never known peace for long, and I suppose there too I'd better retreat to my own little corner of switzerland before it starts in earnest, what a christmas this is turning out to be...")

brianpatrick 12-22-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleamailman (Post 739581)
("...and what if everyone left..." remarked the goblin suspecting that he'd just stay in his corner though, then adding "...yes it's a pity that this game has to be done on this forum, but then again I suppose we could bill it as "the three stooges do their very own goon show, please enjoy or ignore", who knows this might be what those readers want to read today...", yet either way the goblin's mind was more on events occurring in poland at this point, relating "...the break up of the EU is no relaxed matter, simply continental europe has never known peace for long, and I suppose there too I'd better retreat to my own little corner of switzerland before it starts in earnest, what a christmas this is turning out to be...")

Everyone did leave, and the handful that stayed are not enough to keep this place viable enough to warrant fixing its technical difficulties.

fleamailman 12-22-2017 12:53 PM

("...I never left, though I was hardly someone to go around correcting others when I write in my own way to hide myself in full view, then suddenly the forum went dead, and the moment it reopened I stored off my posts thinking it would go return dead shortly, and then when it didn't I relaxed where here I am still..." replied the goblin at bit before his early bedtime, then adding "...continue your game then, I'll keep to my thread mostly as my goal is not confrontational till it has to be...", nothing changed, the goblin was still focused on europe at this point, saying "...put iran on hold, this is a lot more troublesome precisely because the EU is losing its grip...")

Myers 12-22-2017 01:10 PM

Hilarious.

So calling out one member for being a troll and general starter of shit -- that's a big problem for you, but it's perfectly fine for you -- the guy who is so concerned about creating a friendly atmosphere -- to call other members, "dim" and "dickheads" and "stooges" etc.

Sorry -- if you want to play the good moderator or imagine that you're accomplishing something by being "confrontational," you can't have it both ways.

brianpatrick 12-22-2017 03:22 PM

Iíll cop to dickhead (occasionally), but dim and a stooge? Iím not buying it.

Letís be a little more creative with our adjectives, can we?

brianpatrick 12-22-2017 04:21 PM

I originally jacked this thread because it was obvious click-bait with no redeeming value intellectually.

So... if you can add value, fine.

If you canít... f*ck off.

Myers 12-22-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianpatrick (Post 739588)
Iíll cop to dickhead...

I'm sure I've been called worse -- even if it wasn't out loud. :)