WritersBeat.com

WritersBeat.com (http://forums.writersbeat.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Advice (http://forums.writersbeat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Music and Writing (http://forums.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=58523)

CDawson 11-18-2015 12:15 PM

Music and Writing

What are your thoughts regarding music and writing? Does music serve as a stimulus or a distraction when writing? In movies, some characters have theme music. The music foreshadows an event in a scene. Do you listen to certain music when writing a scene with a particular character?

brianpatrick 11-18-2015 07:54 PM

I have an extreme ability to stay focused with single-pointed attention for long periods of time, on things I am interested in. Music neither helps, nor hurts. In fact, I don't usually know it's on until I look up from the page.

So... neutral, I'd say.

My daughters are into role playing online, and often talk about theme songs for characters. Maybe it's a generational thing.

Binx B 11-19-2015 05:05 AM

When I write, I listen to a continuous loop of "Don't Stop Believing," as performed by the cast of Glee.

wrc 11-19-2015 07:06 AM

Music helps me write.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDawson (Post 711087)
What are your thoughts regarding music and writing? Does music serve as a stimulus or a distraction when writing? In movies, some characters have theme music. The music foreshadows an event in a scene. Do you listen to certain music when writing a scene with a particular character?

Hi CDawson.

Music plays a big role when I sit and write. It gives me a place for my mind to relax when I feel I'm losing control in the context of writing. I keep it playing and am not aware of it when I'm inside the story, but when I feel overwhelmed, I pause and listen... It always helps.

What I find interesting is that different music seems to have a relationship to the content of the project. I wrote a long play listening to the Chopin's Nocturnes. I wrote another listening to classic blues. I wrote another listening to simple quitar (sp?) picking. I'm working on one now were I listen to Rock from the 50's and switch off wiith Gospel and slow Rock. (All with heavy back beats.)

I consider music one of my primary tools to get the work done and suggest it to any writer working on a big project with many writing sessions. .

Have a nice writing day.

Djafkri 11-23-2015 03:37 PM

As for me, the right music can set the stage for a scene or a character. It's very inspirational and I use it a lot in my writing.

MaryPeterson 05-02-2016 12:31 AM

Re

I do not listen to music while writing. I need calm and quite place to write. But there are people who feels comfortable with musics while writing. I had a friend who needs music in all her works including writing.

John Anthony 07-21-2016 03:57 AM

There is no connection between music and writing.

SardonicWriter 08-28-2016 11:36 AM

For a time, I would write with music in the background, playing through my earpods. The music I would listen to wouldn't be particularly emotional no inspiring, it was music that I found provocative enough to stir up thoughts within my head but not enough to make me listen intently. Now, I either listen to ambience, no lyrics, of rain falling and wind blowing or ocean waves lapping at a shore OR I don't listen to anything at all, except the clicking from my keyboard when I type.

Sometimes, an aspiring writer needs help in putting down words onto the screen or the page.

Brandon459 10-25-2016 07:39 AM

Music totally helps me. I like classical and light jazz.