Thread: Intellectual?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 379

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Ah, the days! You see, flyingtart, the IT has a long and storied history of challenging the intellect of many an unwary visitor, sometimes in ways which were not obvious in the beginning.

We used to (or I should say, my late friend Ed, who died from a broken heart after being banned for life used to. We were pretty close, and he told me enough about what happened, it was almost like I'd been there). But we were, at one time, incandescent in our efforts to achieve the lofty title of Intellectual, even going so far as to have a word we coined entered in the Urban Dictionary (see "Pollock", definition #4, in The Urban Dictionary.)

The IT was closed for a while, and since it's reopening, has not regained its former glory, so I can see how someone who missed all that might question the name. But the desire of any true intellectual should be to take those who are inferior and, through the patient application of wisdom, wit, and careful guidance, show them an enlightened view of the world, in the hopes that they may become smart fellers, too.

So, stick around and keep your eyes and ears open. You might learn something.
Yep, and back in the old days there used to be folk called "Bumhead", I miss that chap, he used to call me "Gherkin-butt"
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw