View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 380

Reading is an investment of (money), time and concentration, if I feel I will not get anything out of a book I do not invest the money, time or concentration.

Think about it, buying a book does not automatically or passively transfer the knowledge - further investment by the reader is required.

One thing I have learnt with books is, if the author is only writing to make money (for example, a well known author writes their next book just in time for Christmas, a retired sports star "writes" their biography just before Father's Day, a book appears shortly after and on the latest technological/nvestmrnt/business fad) the book is crap. With the added punishment, of not only spending hard-won cash, but also having the soul-destroying experience of reading the book, it is a lesson learnt very quickly.

Thus, when a person asks, why aren't people buying my books? Alarm bells ring, as opposed to, why aren't people reading my books?
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw