View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 12:45 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by bluewpc View Post
@Mohican ok so I could refer you to the above posts as an answer to your question but I think maybe I can answer it in a different way and you can tell me if I answered your question and if not then I can maybe reformulate my response.

Alright here is the fundamental question at the heart of your question: If we admire evil men does that reflect upon ourselves? Well I say yes it does. And let me say right now I'm the first to admit that evil has its attractions and every person has their affinity towards evil and capacity for it that's just human nature but it serves no purpose. Its purely destructive.

So take a look at putin. He desires power. He has power. He desires wealth. He has wealth. All he can do is seek more of the same. Its unbridled consumption at the expense of people. This is actually very simplistic he has real geopolitical goals mostly the restoration of the soviet union which in my opinion is a monster that never died.

I'm looking for a copy of the speech but unfortunately and not surprisingly the English version has been taken down from the official site:

http://kremlin.ru/events/president/n...12_87086.shtml

Also something interesting I ran into in searching for the speech in English. Do these policy adoptions sound familiar:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4480745.stm

Here is the speech itself. I'll see about getting a translation done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Xlwd91IlY

Now to get back to your question. Well since this is a writing forum let's turn to literature. Let's look at Milton's Satan from Paradise Lost. Well here's an admirable rebel. He's courageous in the face of mortal danger, he's eloquent, he's indomitable, he believes in his cause. But here's his final resolution:

So farwel Hope, and with Hope farwel Fear,
Farwel Remorse: all Good to me is lost;
Evil be thou my good; by thee at least
Divided Empire with Heav'ns King I hold
By thee, and more then half perhaps will reigne;
As Man ere long, and this new World shall know.

He takes his anger out on a people who have nothing to do with his fight. He destroys them knowing full well they're innocent and that it will accomplish nothing. Well the moment he starts acting in such a way that has no outcome well then all his reasons become him as Iago as Coleridge described him: The motive hunting of a motiveless malignity.

And that's the moment he loses or should lose our admiration. Because what he does is resign himself to evil because that's gratifying and liberating and the easy thing to do. Its why so many people surrender to their impulses because the alternative is so much harder. And so to continue admiring that is to admire vapid destruction and extreme self indulgence to the exclusion of all other considerations and to feed that instinct in onself and thus to perpetuate it.

And so we come to the traits, the admirable traits. Well what are those? Intelligence well if you know what you're doing is evil and you do it anyways well that's not intelligent. It's not courageous to give in to your basest instincts it's not brave, there's no compassion, or humanity, or empathy. It's not honorable to bludgeon an infant with a tyre iron. It's not decent to put someone in a twenty foot hole and shit and piss on them while they starve to death. There's nothing redeeming about pouring boiling oil into a woman's vagina or sodomizing someone's grandfather or cutting an unborn babe out of a woman and force feeding it to her.

I mean those are real examples but let's move it to the domestic sphere transplant Putin to your workplace. Would you admire the man that cheats and deceives you and makes your workplace a labyrinthine hell of lies? You know evil is only beautiful from afar when it can't touch you and you don't have to look . Well there isn't a soul alive who admired evil from afar that when it reared its hideousness at them that they didn't quake in fear and wish it gone.

I remember from Pulp Fiction Jule's speech at the end:

See, now I'm thinking, maybe it means you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. 9 Millimeter here? He's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. Now I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is…you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.

So I wrote this fairly quickly but I hope it answers your question.

What if your God has assured you that righteous violence against his enemies, the true evil ones, is not only acceptable but justified, and will still allow you into union with he and the light of heaven(or whatever your term for the eternal afterlife)?