Thread: Agnostics
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 17

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Then the word 'god' becomes oxymoronic. Whatever language we use, the name God, Theos, Eloah, Elohim, Yahweh etc all translate as expressions of 'the almighty' - or drawing on Anselm's Proslogion - "that which nothing greater can be conceived."

If we're talking about something which is a cog in the workings - or as much created as every other form of life, the name 'god' becomes null and void.
I don't see anything wrong with updating a word and expanding on the definition as we learn more and more about the universe; life is about moving forward. We know so little and yet we make claims to understand something that is greater than anything that can be conceived. We don't even know everything that is in existence so how can we know what is greatest?

As far as I am concerned the definition of god should just have a question mark beside it and a blurb that says: are you still figuring out gender and race issues? Have you come to a global understanding on your ability to affect climate? How about dark matter have you guys been able to figure that one out yet? Yeah, I don't think you're ready to define god.
PickleBottom (09-14-2017)