Thread: Tip of the Day
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20

Let's see if I can help anyone. My stepdad gave these to me. These are older, but important and can help writers.

---
April 21, 2006

ERROR-PROOFING OUR WRITING

Error-PROOFING OUR writing

Occasionally, we may be able to bluff our way through discussions on a number of topics, but we can't fake it when we're writing. People who know the language will expect us to consistently use it correctly. Coworkers, supervisors and others we respect read what is written. They expect our work to be error free. A bad impression can prevent people from respecting us, taking us seriously, and yes even promoting us! Remember, with today’s technology, if it’s in writing, it can be viewed by innumerous individuals, and it can last several lifetimes!

This week we will review some previously discussed topics because some errors continue to occur in writing and in conversation. To paraphrase Dr. Stephen Covey in The 8th Habit - From Effectiveness to Greatness, “If you don’t practice or teach what has been taught to you, you will soon lose that information.”

Comma Splices

Careful writers cringe when they see a comma between two sentences. This error, called a "comma splice," is one of the most serious errors a writer can make.

A comma splice can easily be corrected using one of these four methods:

1) Add an end punctuation mark (period, question mark, or exclamation point). Capitalize the first letter of the first word following the end punctuation mark.

2) Remove the “,” and insert a semicolon.

3) Add a semicolon, a conjunctive adverb, and a comma.

4) Leave the comma, and add a conjunction.

Example:

Comma Splice: Thanks for working today, I really appreciate your dedication.

You have four options available to correct the comma splice.

1) Thanks for working today. I really appreciate your dedication.
2) Thanks for working today; I really appreciate your dedication.
3) Thanks for working today; indeed, I really appreciate your dedication.
4) Thanks for working today, and I really appreciate your dedication.

Conjunctive Adverbs

Conjunctive adverbs are not true conjunctions, but these adverbs often function as conjunctions in joining two independent clauses.

They serve as transitional devices between one main thought and another.

Common Conjunctive Adverbs: accordingly, afterwards, also, consequently, however, indeed, likewise, moreover, nevertheless, nonetheless, so, otherwise, similarly, still, therefore....

Rewrite the below comma splice using the four above-identified methods.

COMMA SPLICE: The boss arrived late, she blamed her tardiness on car trouble

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Oasis Writer; 04-21-2006 at 12:57 PM..