Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

Tip number nine:
Brougth to you by Gorn.

Conjunctions and Fragments.

Fragments are sometimes intentional, but often a writer could just forget to finish a sentence. If you want, you can use fragments, and framents are often useful in poetry, but in many things, especially essays, you could get your grade lowered drastically for using fragments.

Subjects and Verbs are your friends. If you're having difficulty deciding whether a phrase is a sentance or a fragment, then do one of two things.

1) check if it has a subject and verb. Then make sure that at least one of the verbs is not in a prepositional phrase. If so, it is most likely a sentence. But the verb must be done by the subject. remember that.

2) Put the phrase on a diagram. Most people learn how to diagram sentances in school, and it doesn't take too long. If it has the subject and verb, it's a sentance.

See? Simple. ((I think it's okay to put fragments here... but "See?" and "Simple" aren't actual sentances. I am not endorsing fragments... much...))

Remember, if you are writing a story, many people speak fragments. For instance, I wouldn't say "Do you understand this tip?" I would more likely say something like "Understand?" You would know my full meaning. It's fun to make characters speak different dialects and stuff, have them use improper grammar, and stuff like that, but... Do it on an essay, and you're dead... ish...