View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 11:39 AM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

This might be a sidebar but do you think religion is doomed? Maybe in Europe, but Southern Europe still loves a bit of Catholicism. And the whole rise of the ‘alt right’ is attempting to bring it back. Putin is all over it in Russia. Africa, the Middle East, and South America forget about it. And while East Asia is a bit sketchy you can at least say that most people are superstitious and believe in some form of mysticism. So far as I can tell the strictly materialist mindset is a tiny minority. Now true the separation of church and state has made significant headway but if we’re to say that governance take its cues from the zeitgeist then religions must play a significant role still.*

As its expressed itself over the millennia? Aye I do at least for Christianity as it was expressed in Western Europe and America. To me the spirit has been dead for well over a century now. In fact the anniversary of its mortal wounding is coming up this July 1st. Its the Battle of the Somme. There is a passage from Ernst Junger's memoir Storm of Steel that I think best disembowels the religion:

The defile proved to be little more than a series of enormous craters full of pieces of uniform, weapons and dead bodies; the country around, so far as the eye could see, had been completely ploughed by heavy shells. Not a single blade of grass showed itself. The churned-up field was gruesome. In among the living defenders lay the dead. When we dug foxholes, we realized that they were stacked in layers. Ope company after another, pressed together in the drumfire, had been mown down, then the bodies had been buried under showers of earth sent up by shells, and then the relief company had taken their predecessors' place. And now it was our turn.

Or if I had to draw from music then this line from the Dead Flag Blues seems apt:

We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine. And the machine is bleeding to death.

But if the Somme taught us that soldiers could be slaughtered industrially then Dachau taught us we could all suffer the same fate.

What chimeric abomination of religion staggered out of those wars I dont think has any inner resemblance to what preceded it. I think a lack of proximity has allowed most people to resume a facile religion but these sects seem more parasites upon modernity.

Consider Christian rock how it is merely a subgenre of rock, and even a really pathetic subgenre because nothing good has been put out by these people, I know Ive given them a listen here and there. Its more devotional country with electric riffs thrown in. Consider the disparity between the gothic cathedrals of the sixteenth century and the megachurches of today. There is true awe in those weathered relics but a megachurch resembles far more a corporate lodge than a house of worship.
The smaller chapels that I see depend for their life on ignorance and homogenuity. They flat out cannot survive in any but the most carefully maintained environments because their beliefs were already being ripped and torn apart three centuries ago.

If I could voice another criticism of Jordan he seems very much to model himself after the prophet Ezekiel.

The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which*was*full of bones,*And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold,*there were*very many in the open valley; and, lo,*they were*very dry.*And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest.*Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD.*Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:*And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I*am*the LORD.

Perhaps he sees himself breathing upon the bones. But what failed before will fail again. Can you make strong what in brittleness was broken?

Part of Christianity's problem is it claimed its figurehead was absolutely good and there have been no end to the theodicies seeking to prove just that. None of them succeed of course and none it seems ever will and that ultimately leaves an emptiness on the throne. Because if the god worshipped has no reality then what are you worshiping? To put it simply wherever Christanity goes Gnosticism will be its faithful shadow.

Im going to go out on a limb on Orthodoxy and say that from what I can tell they circumvent this problem by worshiping suffering. Which ultimately makes it an evil religion. I need to do more research on that but that would be my thesis. The fact that Orthodoxy is an organ of the state (in this case the Russian state) supports that theory I believe.

As for the alt-right. I dont think theyre trying to reestablish religion at all rather I see a movement that is reactionary and revanchivist.

and yet more to come later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.