Thread: Monroe Bergdorf
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 01:29 PM
Myers (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
Thanks 393

Well, I called out Trump based on his rhetoric during the campaign that absolutely appealed to racists -- or at the very least to people who have an irrational fear of Mexicans and Muslims. It's pretty much that simple.

Trump talked about a Muslim ban, which of course he had to walk back -- and the closest he could get to it and still appease his supporters is the now 6 country ban -- which is pointless given who actually carried out those terrorists acts here and where they were from.

That doesn't have a thing to do with ignoring the ideology behind the attacks -- it's just dumb policy.

He claimed it was about improving the vetting process -- which to my knowledge he hasn't done. That's a pretty good demonstration that the ban was all about pandering.

So at the very least, calling for the ban during the campaign appealed to people who don't think very hard about things. Maybe not racists by definition, but people who are easily bamboozled by simplistic rhetoric designed to appeal to their worst instincts. And I use the word "designed" loosely.

All the candidates called for increased border security. Even Clinton said we need to add more fencing. But that's only going to get you a golf clap.

No, you need to pump up the rhetoric and exaggerate to appeal to people's fears and prejudices.

Of course, it remains to be seen if there's going to be a wall. Trump recently said in typical Trump fashion:

"The WALL, which is already under construction in the form of new renovation of old and existing fences and walls, will continue to be built."

Ha ha ha.

Last edited by Myers; 09-24-2017 at 04:25 PM..