View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Shawna - thanks for joining this topic. I'll do my best to weigh in on your thoughts.

Originally Posted by Shawna11235 View Post
I think things are a lot worse than people think.
If you are in the "shrinking middle" in the US you are feeling the squeeze. Will the future be a dystopic TEOWAKI scenario as painted by James Wesley Rawles? Or will the future be a continual down grade to where there is a top and bottom economic class without a middle class?

My point is that a lot of people "know" that we are not in the best shape. Or they realize that things are not as "flush" as they were even in the 2000s.

People realize that the Dow might have bounced back since fall of 2008, but in many places unemployment is staying constant.

I know of only ONE person in my generation of my friends that has their own home. Yet I only know of TWO that don't have children. Even I, and my kids, live with my in-laws because times are hard and it's easier to pool all resources together.
Should I ask you what your generation is?

You don't need to answer.

There is a school of thought that prior to the housing bubble bursting in 2008 that home ownership was built up to an unnatural high point. If one is accustomed to growing up in a house your parents owned where you had your own room, or only shared it with one or two siblings tops then renting an apartment or sharing a house with parents or in laws is a big shift.

The housing market overbuilt, and people also got into houses they could not afford, long term. The trend that I saw locally was that people who could get any kind of loan fled urban areas. Large tracts of farmland have been chewed up to make McMansions or to expand suburbs. It was a bad combination.

You talk about homelessness, but the shanty towns don't take into account those families who crowd together like sardines. I believe it will get worse...
I imagine that there is some overcrowding in the shanty towns or Hoovervilles.

I see a man of my generation who was asked to tie a knot with a rope to hold something. He stare blankly and said, "Huh? what kind of knot?" I know of people who think Shakespeare was a director. I think this kind of stupidity is contagious and will spread across the globe until our own demise will not be of an oversized asteroid or even a zombie apocalypse, but our own lack of intelligence.
That's actually not a bad response from that man on which knot.

If one is tying to ropes together of the same size and construction, a square knot will often due the trick. If you want a stronger knot, leave some extra at the ends and finish each side of the square knot with a half hitch.

If you are have to tie off an end of a Kernmantle rope for climbing or rappelling, then you would use a figure eight, because a shock load on a kernmantle rope with the traditional bowline can harm the kernmantle core. If you are using a standard braided rope, the bowline can still work like it always has.......What Knot? might have been and intelligent question.

Not knowing who Shakespeare was or what roles he played might not be a sign of stupidity - it might be an instance of schools not teaching about Shakespeare. Even back in the 1980s, we had very little of Shakespeare unless you took advanced literature or drama classes.

But I often reach the same conclusion as you and think the general population is getting "dumber".

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (01-11-2014)