View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 AM
Tyrael (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

Erosion:

During the night I dreamed of a phone ringing.

The alarm clock screeched and screeched and screeched.

I got up in an empty bed again. This time the confusion lasted hardly a moment. I was getting used to waking up alone again.

A table. A chair. A wardrobe. A bed. All silhouetted by morning light. My window lacked curtains, so the sun hit my bed every morning. I winced away from the glare and heaved myself to my feet. It was time to face a new day.

In the car the radio DJ asked the viewers for recommendations. Annoyed by the incessant cheery tone of his voice, I turned the radio off.

At work I cycled through my routine mindlessly; procrastination, boredom, shared a moan with co-workers. At one point I got some work done, but no one noticed.

The alarm clock screeched and screeched.

I got up in an empty bed again. No confusion at all. Maybe I had come to terms with it.

A chair. A wardrobe. A bed. All silhouetted by morning light. Once again the bright light accosted me. I winced away from the glare told myself that I had to get some curtains. How much do they cost? Probably expensive.

In the car the radio DJ asked the viewers for recommendations. I could not summon the energy to care enough, so I let him chatter inanely between songs that all sounded the same.

At work I cycled through my routine mindlessly; procrastination, boredom. I spent the whole day forcing myself to work hard, to do something productive, but by the end of the day I had made little more progress than usual.

The alarm clock screeched.

I got up.

A wardrobe. A bed. Both silhouetted by morning light.

I sat in the car in silence, not having even turned the radio on.

At work I procrastinated all day.

I got up late the next day; didn’t bother setting the alarm. The sun still woke me up, but I tried to ignore it and fall back into asleep. I relented before it did.

At work they told me I was suspended.

I went outside and sat in my car. I turned the radio on accidently, leaning on the button, and then the sound of the DJ’s voice filled the car. ‘If you want to make a request then phone this number...’

After a moment I took out my phone and began to thumb numbers into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.