View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by YvonJan View Post
In other words, how do I teen girl? I want my my normies to feel more 3D, so what are they really like? Or what is something I can read that would help?
There's a sort of zen to this, I've found. It involves not pigeonholing people.

I couldn't possibly write convincingly about an American teen girl. I'm male, I'm in my mid-forties and I've never set foot in the US, so I have no idea how such characters think.

But if I develop a character who I find likeable and interesting and intelligent and imaginative, who also coincidentally happens to be an American teen girl, then I'll be able to write that character with conviction.

In other words, rather than try to write about an "average" or stereotypical female teen, write about a unique person. If you the writer don't like her, then your reader definitely won't ---- readers are immensely sensitive to the writer's feelings in this ---- so if this is a viewpoint character or a protagonist then make sure you like her.

If you'd like to capture the feeling of being a teenager (of either sex) then your character should experience peer pressure, insecurity about her appearance, fear of rejection, hazing or teasing about height, weight, clothing and hairstyle choices, and the struggle to establish a place in the social pecking order that isn't right at the bottom; but these should not be the main themes of your story unless you want your story to be quite a boring one.

Also note that a very large proportion of your prospective audience is made up of bookish women, who by and large will not have been the hair-and-makeup, gossip-and-boyfriends, soap-watching crowd. They will be predisposed to like reading stories where the loner, tomboyish teen girl, who is or was near the bottom of the school pecking order, struggles against adversity, succeeds, and becomes important and popular.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.