larkin (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
This is my ideal way of constructing a story

for story A
a) I figure it all out in my head
b) I get a paper and a pencil and lay out character/plots/pictures or visuals /beginning/middles/various endings
c) Now with a pen and paper I jot down short prompts
an opening
a middles
possible endings
characters speicifications
Dear Nacia,
I think your approach is excellent and it probably is favored by Stephen King or J K Rowling. It is systematic, structured and it allows for revision during the writing process.
What I would like to do is to describe another method. This would also sever for those who don't think that they have a story to tell or perhaps they feel one inside but have no idea how to get at it.

The character driven story:

When I sit down to write, I have no idea of what the story is, or what it is going to be about.

I start by designing or inventing a character. This is easier than it sounds.
Pick someone you like or pick the "self" you would like to be. It might be a boyfriend or girlfriend. (Because we are human, you can always do a furry conversion later.)

Describe the character physically, their appearance, the kind of clothes they like. Give them qualities you like but don't make them too perfect. Leave out a few physical things so the reader can fill in some blanks. Describe things that you really like about this character. Endearing qualities like a chipped front tooth or a mischievous nature.

You can start your story right here.

Shuffle all of the information you've gathered and then, get your character into trouble. It can start out with everything fine but something must happen to change things.

The most important element in a story besides the character you care about is adversity or trouble.
The most exciting thing about writing is that you get to invent it as it goes along and that world belongs exclusively to you. Anything that you dream about can happen,..so start dreaming.

Now, I still don't have a story. 9 out of 10 of my attempts do not result in a story but I am improving my writing skills in the process.
The Muse:
noun [C/U] (IMAGINARY FORCE) /mjuz/
› an imaginary force that gives you ideas and helps you to write, paint, or make music, or a physical representation of this force
Imagine that you are the character and travel with them in a world of your own invention just to see where it goes. It may lead nowhere or it will reveal a genuine tale way beyond your original intentions.