View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM
scottcolby (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Online Publishing

Anyone have any experience with brands that publish exclusively online? I ask because I work for one myself (check the profile for a link) and I'm curious to hear if anyone has any tales of what works and what doesn't.

For what it's worth, we're trying to build a coherent catalogue of interconnected content. We're moving everything along with a "main" property, a web comic published every week that serves as the prime mover of our brand. We're releasing a short story every other week that has something to do with events from the web comic; for example, if we introduce a new character in the comic, we publish a little short story that tells more about said character. We also release encyclopedia entries that work the same way. We've got a novel that serves as a prequel, which we just released for the Kindle.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone has ever seen or heard or worked with anything similar. Hopefully this didn't come off as an advertisement, since it wasn't meant to (although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping to get a few people checking out the link in my profile). I'm genuinely interested in what people think of such a scheme, and whether sticking to the web is itself a viable business model or whether it should just be used as a stepping stone of sorts to attract traditional publishers.