View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 05:49 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Doubt it will ever reach critical mass.

Even if you go to the one or two writing sites that are busy now -- the areas for writers who have a snowball's chance in hell of reaching some wider audience aren't much busier than this -- or it's just a bunch of people patting themselves on the back.

Sad to say -- but I think the days of the fairly serious writing site are over...

I came across this site quite by chance. I didn't have any interest in 'writing tips and advice' or the like. What made The Beat attractive (and still does) is the level of intelligent and respectful communication. Other sites with more active boards have crude or vulgar themes to tantalise their predominantly illiterate members. I don't want to trawl through sixty replies comprising solely of emoji faces accompanied by lol or roflmao - I'd rather read one, quality response. Anything longer than a sentence these days seems to qualify as heavy duty literatrure. I don't feel compelled to give thoughtful consideration to thread titles such as "Should I Do Her Or Not?"

Occasional forages on XERQ to catch up with Flea and Jats remind me why I like this site. I prefer posters who just use the occasional four letter word as a refreshing break from the longer ones.