Thread: Ten Dollars
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Oh, mathmission, this is absolutely wonderful! Everything is woven together so perfectly, backstory and all.

To be honest, it was the sentimental message that got me. Being both a parent and a spouse, I can imagine the heartbreak the MC was feeling over the deaths of his three children and the loss of his wife, who didn't seem to be able to take it anymore.

For the MC to receive something that really was, in a way, a type of gift (winning something feels that way), and to hold on to it for as long as he did, never deciding on what would be an appropriate way to spend it until the very end . . . it made him very, very human. Even in his time of heartbreak and reminiscence, he found the courage to give to another, give to someone who had everything he once had without even feeling remotely envious or angry. This made him a very strong character, in my eyes.

This piece is a beautiful reflection of the giving nature and good intentions of the average person, something one doesn't see too often nowadays. (Yes, I know I sound gushing, and that probably doesn't help you much--there were some SPAG things--but sometimes people need to hear praise, too! )

Thank you for an enjoyable read.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.