WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mental illness

Old 01-10-2017, 01:00 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141
Default Mental illness

Seems to be on the rise.
Theresa May made a speech yesterday about removing the stigma of mental illness. This is after her party has cut mental health services to the bone, so you'd have to be mad to believe her.
In biblical times, madness was equated with demonic possession. Nowadays we rely on prescription drugs.
The Victorians locked the insane away in vast institutions, today we save money by letting them sleep rough.
But are we any closer to understanding mental illness? What is sane/insane?

Old 01-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

Sane is having compassion for a fellow member of the human race; insane is having no concern for anyone other than yourself.

Demonic possession & mental illness are separate issues.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Sane is having compassion for a fellow member of the human race; insane is having no concern for anyone other than yourself.

"... other than oneself."
Old 01-10-2017, 01:20 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

I don't think compassion and sanity are the same. A lack of empathy can indicate insanity, but plenty of 'sane' people couldn't care less about others.

Yes indeed demonic possession and mental illness are separate issues. In fact modern medical science would scarcely acknowledge demonic possession at all. And yet exorcism still happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Mohican (01-13-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

You missed my point about the link between compassion & sanity. And yes, medical science would never acknowledge demonic possession--might lose a few customers or might lose their license. Viewpoint is everything.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:44 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 617

I think the science/medical/psychology world has made great strides in the understanding of mental illness, but the political will to fund treatment and care will probably not happen anytime soon.

I also don't think mental illness is more prevalent than 2000 yrs. ago, just more reported and understood as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

You missed my point about the link between compassion & sanity.
I didn't miss your point, I disagreed with it.

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I also don't think mental illness is more prevalent than 2000 yrs. ago, just more reported and understood as such.
Based on what?
It's an interesting point and goes back to what we define as insanity. Perhaps past generations were more accepting of eccentricity.
Whether or not you're right, the profession of psychiatry has blossomed in the last hundred years. Is that why there are new 'syndromes' being discovered all the time? I once witnessed an extraordinary oneupmanship contest on another board between such sufferers, each trying to trump the other as if it were a badge of honour.
"I have ADHD"
"That's nothing, I have ADHD, dyslexia and PTSD, so there!"
Old 01-11-2017, 04:25 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

Like anything else, there are levels of insanity. Torturing than killing others is probably at the highest level. But, there are other levels, many others.

I wouldn't consider insanity in the same class as mental illness or treatable mental illness. A person talking to himself or hearing voices is not at the same level of a person taking a gun to another. A person may have a nervous breakdown, thus leading up to mental issues.

Then, on the other foot are the so-called sane with wicked intentions who rise to the top of countries. Everyone beneath them fears them because all want to live. The tyrant is insane (or mad) but is actually accepted as being "sane" due to his powerful position--life and death are in his hands.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:33 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

The mentally challenged were always treated unjustly. If you want some insight into the world of mental institutions in the 1950s in New York City, read Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. She worked with them and reported her observations. Most were shunned. Elisabeth began treating them as human beings, talking to them to get them to open up. Surprisingly, under her care, many patients returned to a normal outside life.

Medication keeps the volcano from erupting. It has its good points, but it is not a cure.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:11 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

One of the Writersbeat members has had a career with working with mentally challenged individuals. You can get some insight by reading Tor's writings in the free writing section or non-fiction. As he will tell you, the approach to them is never the same. Some, unfortunately, are more dangerous than others.

Treating mentally ill patients has become a lucrative business though. It is my belief that anyone in the medical field (scientist or psychiatrist) who ignores "the possibility of possession" shouldn't be allowed to work with these people because they might be harming them terribly by medicating them, especially when the drugs have no value. Any scientist should have an open enough mind to explore all possibilities and failure to do so suggests (to me) that the person is in the field just for the money not to treat the patient.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Like anything else, there are levels of insanity. Torturing than killing others is probably at the highest level. But, there are other levels, many others.

I wouldn't consider insanity in the same class as mental illness or treatable mental illness. A person talking to himself or hearing voices is not at the same level of a person taking a gun to another. A person may have a nervous breakdown, thus leading up to mental issues.

Then, on the other foot are the so-called sane with wicked intentions who rise to the top of countries. Everyone beneath them fears them because all want to live. The tyrant is insane (or mad) but is actually accepted as being "sane" due to his powerful position--life and death are in his hands.
You seem to be conflating mental illness with violent behaviour. The two are not the same. A sane man can be violent, and an insane man can be nonviolent. Most mentally ill people are a danger to themselves more than others. It's an inability to cope with normal everyday functions that seems to define mental illness. But of course there are degrees, and within an illness there are good periods and bad periods.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:55 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

And you seem to be conflating it with "possession," which has nothing to do with any illness.

Any "sane" man who commits a violent act is insane. Hitler is a good example. He brought a nation to its knees, pretending to be normal, but he was insane all along. Doesn't violent behavior lead to an insane act? Someone who brings a handgun to school to kill innocents has to be "mad." Violence and insanity must be cousins.

The mentally ill, left untreated, are probably more dangerous to others than they are to themselves. In their own minds, there isn't anything wrong with them and therefore may be unaware of the damage they are doing to others, even if they murder someone. I'm not saying all mentally ill individuals are violent, but without proper medication, many have a tendency to become a threat to others. But, of course, through no fault of their own because they cannot help themselves.

And if you think about it, what you call "normal everyday functions" aren't really that normal at all. To many individuals, modern living has become extremely stressful. The unnecessary pressure to cope in today's fast-paced society is a leading cause to mental illness. It's funny when you think about it--modern living poisons the fragile and then sends them to detox centers (psychiatrists, psychologists, etc.) to get well. That's INSANE.

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-11-2017 at 07:19 AM..
Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Possession? What are you on about?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

Not marijuana.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 617

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post

Based on what?

It's an interesting point and goes back to what we define as insanity. Perhaps past generations were more accepting of eccentricity.

Whether or not you're right, the profession of psychiatry has blossomed in the last hundred years. Is that why there are new 'syndromes' being discovered all the time? I once witnessed an extraordinary oneupmanship contest on another board between such sufferers, each trying to trump the other as if it were a badge of honour.

"I have ADHD"

"That's nothing, I have ADHD, dyslexia and PTSD, so there!"

It's just my opinion based on anecdotal and observational evidence. I could be wrong, but it just seems like it is more sensationalized than in past days.

There are quite a few of my friends and family who suffer from treatable mental illness. In researching family histories it's clear that much of it is/was hereditary (at least the predisposition).

Diagnosis and treatment seems to have been rare in the old days except for the most severe cases, and like you said, now people fight over who has a worse set of co-morbid conditions.

@cityboy there is a difference between a psychopath and an insane person. The vast majority of psychopaths are not insane; they aren't confused; they don't hear voices; they aren't out of control of themselves, and they know right from wrong. So, Hitler was not insane, just a psychopath. See: Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test. It's pretty entertaining.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (01-11-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:25 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

psychopath/evil. What does it matter what you call one?

You don't need to read a book to understand. (I've explained already what you fancied up--Then, on the other foot are the so-called sane with wicked intentions who rise to the top of countries, using fear through torture and killing as their springboard.)

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-12-2017 at 05:36 AM..
Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 617

psychopath/evil. What does it matter what you call one?

You don't need to read a book to understand.

Words and their understanding matter a great deal. The whole objective to analyzing history, in an attempt to not repeat our mistakes, relies on being very clear about what happened and why.

The bad part is, there's a chance in the future we may be able to stop a Jared Lee Loughner (schizophrenic mass shooter), or an Esteban Santiago (thinks the CIA put a chip in his head), but it is very unlikely we'd be able to stop a determined psychopath. Most psychopaths are not insane. They are cunning, and patient, manipulative, and often charming. They just have no conscience, and very little if any feelings for other people.

The two killers I named above had multiple run-ins with the law and the system, which should have been giant red flags, if we funded and understood and cared about mental health care in the US, like we should. Instead, we focus on punishment and detainment, after the crime has been committed.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

Past history (and probably the future) is written in blood of human beings. Words cannot change that fact--only actions will.

When you are troubled by a dis-ease, try to avoid saying "I have this" or "I have that" because the more you make the dis-ease yours, the harder it is to get rid of it. Years ago, I had my share of experiences with self-healing techniques. I had a problem with a body part and when I went to a hospital to have x-rays taken, the doctor, after reviewing the x-rays, joked I needed a new body part.

Disappointed when I left the hospital, I went straight to a Barnes & Noble bookstore to purchase a book on healing. Surprisingly, after a month of following the author's meditation instructions, I was conjuring up energy from the base of my spine and mentally sending it to the afflicted part of my body. An incredible pulsating (similar to that of a heartbeat) would occur whenever I directed the energy to the body part which needed healing. It brought great relief and eventually doing the meditation daily, I was completely healed. Unfortunately, I discontinued the practice (I wish I hadn't). These days trying to open my chakras aren't as easy as back then.

The energy inside the human body has the capacity to easily heal any dis-ease. Firsthand, I experienced this. Health is all about allowing the energy to flow freely inside the body and also keeping the cells healthy, for the same cells that bring us dis-ease also give us health. Stretching exercises are wonderful. They make space for the energy to freely move within the body. Thus, no blockages to cause congested energy to deliver discomfort or dis-ease.

There will always be a battle between good and evil, both in flesh and in spirit. That's just the design of things. But mental illness is a different story, and yes medical science has made great strides to contain or to eliminate it.

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-12-2017 at 06:37 AM..
Old 01-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

You're one for two here, Shelly.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

Viewpoint--Lots of so-called sane people whose inactions were responsible for lots of suffering and deaths. In my book, they are insane (don't mean mentally ill either--more like living dead).
Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 126

Even the greedy, I consider insane.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:26 AM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,186

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

Most psychopaths are not insane. They are cunning, and patient, manipulative, and often charming. They just have no conscience, and very little if any feelings for other people.

[/QUOTE]

Theodore Robert Bundy?
Old 01-14-2017, 05:27 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 617

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Theodore Robert Bundy?

He was a psychopath. Not insane.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post: