WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Question about Guns

Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Merlin (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Question about Guns

Okay, I'm writing a story set in a parrallel world, which involves the use of guns and weapons like that, but it also contains mythical creatures like Phoenixes, Werewolves, Banshees, Dragons, Vampires, Ghosts, Poltergiests, Mummies and Reapers. I also have a number of other Mythical Creatures that I have in mind, but most of these will only be for reference.

So my question is, is this okay to have Guns with this number of fantasy creatures? It's just that my government is basically trying to eliminate them, and has delevoped technology like cloning and guns, comparable to the technology in our world.

These creatures, I'm planning on classifying them as "Shadow", and a threat to the Government, so any ideas on a creative name for them would be appricated. Thanks in advance.

~Merlin

Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 AM
evilclonier (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 69

That sounds like a good idea for a story Merlin, so good luck with that. As for the subject of guns I think you need to be careful. Due to the fact that you are going to be featuring a lot of different creatures, it might be useful if you were to limit the amount of guns that are introduced at any one time. This means that the reader will not have to try to remember lots of types of guns and lots of different creatures all at the same time. So what I would suggest is that you introduce the guns and the creatures a little at a time, rather than too many at once. This means that it will be easier for the reader to remember the different types. So after that long winded train of thought, my answer is yes, guns would be ok, but be careful how you introduce things.
As for the name, I'm not sure, I may have to get back to you on that.
Anyway, it sounds like a good idea you have here, well done.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 AM
SophiVengeance (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 50

I would suggest these guns be different from typical guns (like pistols/machine guns)

like these guns could be developed by some company to destroy your "Shadow" creatures...

Unless you want these Shadow creatures to be "good"
Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 AM
That_Writer_Boy (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 26

Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
So my question is, is this okay to have Guns with this number of fantasy creatures?
Of course it is. It's your story! evilclonier is right though - you don't want too many because your reader might not remember them. You could introduce three guns or something, and then later on in the novel introduce another three. I know what you mean - would guns seem weird with fantasy creatures? No. A lot of fantasy stories don't feature a whole new world, they feature our current world and then the threat of monsters or whatever coming in or being discovered within our world. This sounds interesting, so good luck with it..
Old 06-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Mister URL

Default Comment

Make sure your guns are not too powerful - our human-developed projectile weapons now are capable of killing any Earth animal in relative safety from long range. If you have your guns so they just whack your monsters, it will be boring. Maybe the monsters can develop some defenses, or the weapons can be limited by a slow rate-of-fire or some other way.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Lin

Oh, I don't think Ghosts and Reapers and such have to worry about guns much.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Paco (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 150

Old saying: Write what you know.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Mister URL

Default Comment

I don't know - might be a Mossberg Ectoplasm Sucker 10ga.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Lin

The Terminator: Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.
Pawn Shop Clerk: Hey, just what you see pal.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:27 PM
That_Writer_Boy (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 26

Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Old saying: Write what you know.
One of the worst sayings i've ever heard. If it were followed widely, then there would be no fantasy writers.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Secret (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

With that mean creatures running amuck, a gun sounds wonderful. But yeah, make it some kind of special kind that can capture/defeat the creatures.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

Guns are fine. I've read fantasy with guns, and it works great--I'm planning on incorporating them into a future story of mine, actually.

If you've decided that you're at this certain technology level, that's completely your decision. There is no right or wrong choice. It sounds like you've already thought your world through--you didn't really need to get our input. Just go out there and write it!

Happy trails,
Winterbite
Old 06-25-2010, 02:10 AM
BebopMagnum (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

My only advice is to keep them different from guns as we know them. Make them look and work different, give them an alternate propulsion system (instead of gunpowder and primers, use electromagnetism or something, maybe something fantasy-themed).

Only think of it as an object used by man that fires something to hurt these creatures, don't think "A gun that shoots metal bullets". It could shoot anything, it could be made of anything. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 AM
A.Zerro (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 45

I'd suggest, unless you have a clear idea of what your gun(s) are to look like, you should perhaps draw/brainstorm ideas for it, be specific in what they do, but make sure they don't do too much so the reader, as said up before, you don't want to present so much information they get a brain overload. Too much is too much.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Merlin (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 3

Thanks guys for your feedback. I'm thinking of having the setting in a mordern day world, which is basically a parrallel version of our own but with different landscape, different cites and countries and continents, and different nations, empires, even.

Another, probably a stupid question here. I am planning to have the setting similar to the twenty-first century, just with the ability to clone humans and make them more enhanced, kinda like Space Marines if anyone's a fan of 40K, just without the armour and generally more evil. Is that okay with you guys?

~Merlin
Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM
BebopMagnum (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Why would it have to be okay with us guys? You can write whatever you want to write.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 PM
evilclonier (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 69

Exactly. If you want to write something, then do so. What counts is what you think.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 AM
tchoppy (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

I agree with the others on this, guns are okay if they are unique. And you might make them 3 in one. Say a gun has ultra-violent silver bullets, so one gun could take down a vampire, werewolf, and maybe a reaper or something. That way you wouldn't have to introduce too many guns. Or make it one gun with different types of bullets for these creatures.

Shadow creatures are good, but so is underworld, or the undead creatures etc.

Anyway sounds like you have an intriguing mix going on with your story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues