WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

_Zorah, supergirl

Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 AM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50
Default _Zorah, supergirl

(yes, this is very much like an alternate version of Superman. that was kinda the point.

Um... hi. Zorah here. Darn this world is creepy. It's very much like my own, yet so different in so many ways. The people here are usually nice enough, but ask too much of me sometimes. Maybe I should take it from the start.

My parents were scientists back home and worked on top secret stuff. Completely hush-hush. Lips are sealed, cross my heart and all that. It turned out they were studying a bug that gave of chemicals that would cure all sickness. Seriously, a perfect sickness-b-gone. Or so they thought. The big bosses knew they could make a lot of money on it, so they started selling it to the highest bidder without asking my parent's advice first. They made millions on it practically over night. We were five hundred million people living in a big city, and they offered a thousand vaccines to the highest bidders. Naturally the price went skyhigh.

Then the trouble begang. People started killing each other for the vaccine. It became an obession to them, especially as they learned the vaccine would carry on to their offspring. In short, get the vaccine, and your entire bloodline would never get sick again. No one heard the warnings of my parents, and yet they should have... It turned out the vaccine was not foolproof. It was the opposite. Yes, it cured you, but that was so the bug could feed on you and not risk getting sick. But the vaccine was only half the cure. The bug was the other. When the bug fed off you, it injected the rest of the cure into you with it's slavia. Without it, the vaccine turned into poison. It killed you in days, and there was nothing you could do. They tried all sorts of medicine, but the vaccine had made you immune to it.

Naturally, it got airborne. People started getting the vaccine whether they wanted it or not, so prety soon they were dropping like flies. My parents knew all that, but no one listened until it was too late. We, as in my parents and me, decided to run off while we still could and made our way into a military base. I may be only 25, but I am a flight cadet trained for short flights into space. This was my first trip as flight leader, though. Anywya, my keycard let us in. Of course it would be discovered soon enough, but we would be long gone by then. We found a small spaceship and decided to set out away from the planet, but then my father started itching... you know what that means. We all cried more than we had in our lifetime, and it wasn't happy tears. My mother got it the worst. She could not leave the man she loved to die, and she couldn't force me to stay. But she couldn't come with me, either. I can only imagine the horror she went through that night. No one should ever have to go through that. In the end, I insisted she stayed behind, hugged them both and set off into space alone. I left everything behind that night. My family. My friends. My planet.

The journey took me here to Earth. And that was just the start of my problems. I don't know anyone here. I don't know what place this is. I don't know the language. I don't have a way to get back home, and even if I did, it is all gone by now. And if that wasn't enough, I have discovered the planet has a strange effect on me. I am stronger than I used to be, can run faster and longer and can even fly short distances. I'm a freak. *sigh* Sometimes I just want to lay down and cry.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Nightmare_Muse (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hello, Zorah. If you don't mind me asking...

When you first came to Earth, what were the reactions of those around you? Did they accept that someone just happened to arrive from another planet? Or do they not know? Or have you hidden this fact from everyone on Earth around you?

If it's not too bothersome to ask, what was the strangest thing you've seen on Earth so far?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 AM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

Greetings. When I came to Earth, I was careful to land in a somewhat deserted area to attract as little attention to myself as possible. Some noticed it, but I was long gone before they arrived. The problem is if you are the new girl in a small town, people will look funny at you. If you have some sort of superpowers, don't speak their language, dress funny and arrive the same night a falling star landed close by, you are in trouble. Hehe.

At first I didn't know I had anything to hide. I look a lot like you guys, so that wasn't a problem. My eyes are reptile instead of human, but I hide that with dark shades. The problem was I got run over by a speeding car, but got up again with only smaller wounds. A few bruises, a broken arm, that stuff. A human wouldn't be able to survive. It doesn't help that I used the good arm to lift the car away. It hurt like hell, so I tried to ask for help. The problem is they saw me as the freak I am and tried to chase me out of town. Not that they had to try hard, though. I know when I'm not welcome, so I left on my own.

The strangest thing I have seen? Gosh, that's so many things. This planet is so primitive! Um... no offense. But you haven't even started with space flight yet and can barely get normal flight. Seriously, what's with those huge planes? Why are they so big? And the cars? Do you seriously have one car for each person?

It's cold here, too. I might have developed what you call superpowers, but that doesn't prevent me from freezing my behind off. I like how you manage to take advantage of it, though. I didn't think it would be possible, but I stayed a few nights in a hotel made from snow and ice. Really.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Nightmare_Muse (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

It's an interesting, if loaded answer you've provided.

I can certainly see that you've only been on Earth for a short period of time, and that would lead to a few assumptions about us. If anything, I would figure this would be a big weakness to the continuity of your ability to keep your identity a secret.

So! I have another few questions for you:
In your time on Earth so far, have you made any human friends yet? That would be a very important step to surviving here.

Have you found a permanent home on Earth? Or at least somewhere to crash?

You mentioned that you have gained powers. What do you think caused you to gain your powers? What exactly is the extent of your powers so far?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 AM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

Loaded? Yeah, I guess you are right. If you mean loaded as in a lot, not loaded as in full of sh... um, you know.

Why would I keep my identity a secret? I know who I am, and I don't care if anyone else finds out about it. I'm just Zorah. I am not a heroine. I don't fight crime. I just... live, I guess. If people need help and I'm nearby, I can help them just like anyone else would. If people know who I am and recognize me, let them.

Yes, I have made a few friends. Not many, but I am not really a people person. The few friends I have seem to be nice enough, and who knows. Some day I might even start to trust them. But that said, there's a long way to go for that. Funny how being all alone in an alien world where you don't even know yourself can damage your trust in people.

A permanent home? Depends what you mean. I sleep in a friend's house most of the time, or in a motel or something like that. The problem was money, but I found a way to take care of that. Basically I help you, you help me.

What made me gain powers? I have no idea. The atmosphere, the climate, the planet itself... who knows? But I don't really care. My parents were scientists, but that doesn't mean I am.

My powers are a bit weird. I can take a beating, but I'm not invulnerable. I can break an arm, and it takes only a week to heal back to normal. As I said, I can run faster and longer than usual, and even fly short distances. That's very handy if the elevator is broken. Hehe.

Other than that... I guess I'm mostly normal. Sometimes I hear things I'm not entirely sure are only in my head, or if it's my hearing getting much better. The same goes with smell, of all things. I once stayed in my apartment and could smell someone making hamburgers. It turned out to be some guy two floors above me. Not only that, but I could tell exactly what he had on the burgers, too. Not bad for a nose, huh. The strange thing is that only works on and off at random. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't. It's the same with all my powers. It's very annoying to fly up to the second floor, only to fall down all of a sudden because the fly power stopped working. If only I knew what triggered it...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Nightmare_Muse (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Well! Even if you don't fight crime, being an alien has some rather ... nasty ramifications if you're on a planet full of people who took hundreds if not thousands of years to get over their own species' subtle genetic differences (and even then still have some problems with that). Imagine if they met someone who is...well, entirely different from them--that is, a different species of intelligent being altogether. Not just someone with different skin color, religion, or temperament, mind you, but with different genetics to the point where it makes them a different species.

My point is that it won't be easy integrating here, and to help with that you've got to disguise yourself so that you don't find government agents one day knocking on your door asking why you have the power to fly up floors of apartment buildings, or what happened on the night of your arrival. It's not fun when an international (if not interstellar) incident is caused through a lack of guile. This is not so much a threat as it is precautionary words. To wit: blend in as best as you can. Make up a name and fake persona for yourself if you have to.

But on a much lighter subject...
What do you think of the culture of this planet so far?
Also, what's the best food you've eaten here so far?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 PM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

Yeah, sadly I know all about people being scared of what they don't know. I have rescued people only to find them running away in fear because of my powers. What is the world coming to if a girl can't even walk into a burning building and out again without a scratch without people calling her names, running in fear or blaming her for the fire? So I tend to move around a lot all over this continent. Europe, I think you call it. It's a nice place, but strange. Just when I starting to understand a language, I end up in a place with a completely different one. Why can't you have a common language for everyone and spare yourselves a lot of trouble?

The culture here is weird, to say the least. I have seen people becoming best friends or sworn enemies with strangers simply because of their clothes or music. And what's with the drink 'til you drop in public? Why not have the decency of doing it at home? Err... I mean... drinking is bad. Don't do that. Bad.

Anyway, we have... had... crime back home too, of course, but it wasn't anything like this. At least we had style. I think you call it white crimes, or something. You know, playing with accounting numbers, faking money and all that. Crime here is so violent. It's not enough to hit a guy so he falls down, like home. Here the fight starts when one guy goes down, apparently. I hate it. And just because a woman is walking outside late at night by herself, it doesn't mean it's allowed to have sex with her against her will. Why can't people understand that? The world should be safe. But that's what the cops are for, I guess. I get around and help those in need, while trying to stay out of trouble as best I can.

The best food I've eaten? Don't laugh, but... um... a hot dog. I got it from a street vendor, and it was delicious. Not just the hot dog itself, but the atmosphere, the guy who sold it and all that. I mean he was a really nice guy and did the best he could with minimal means. It was so simple, yet so wonderful. You should try it one day. Not just the hot dog, but talk to the person who sell it and enjoy the smell of the wagon, the conversation, everything.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics