WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Lt. Felix Blythe

Old 03-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Ashton Lee (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Lt. Felix Blythe

Hello, I'm Felix Blythe, Royal Navy, and I LOVE to give problems to my author. I refuse to allow them in my mind, won't have big inner monologues like my lovely colleagues, and my diary turned out to be dry and IKEA-ish. I fear I lack a recognizable style.

I'm 24, and a good-hearted, optimisic type. People say I'm a bit naive. I know I'm no genius; discussing philosophical problems or understanding chess - hopeless. Strategy in battle - ok.

I'm deeply in love with my captain, and my feelings are reciprocated, yet I'm afraid. Not just because we're risking death if we're found out. In a previous battle when I saw him in danger, I felt an uncontrollable rage and slaughtered his attacker. I'm terrified by my wild side. I didn't know of it. And I know the beast would break out again, anytime someone wants to harm my beloved. (Knowing my author, someone WILL.)

Why am I so hard to write? The author says I'm boring! They prefer this angsty villain guy, and my equally angsty captain, not to mention all those angsty secondary characters! I'm pretty much the only healthy and positive person on board (unless someone presses my Berserk Button, which is rare).

I wish I wouldn't block my author and I could have hot sex scenes with my captain censored.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
LadyDomino (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 12

Hello Felix,

Lets see if we can help you explain things to your author, through a little chat.

I'll start with some basic questions, based a bit on what you have already said.

What year is it?

I see you are in the Royal Navy.
  1. What ship are you on?
  2. How long have you been in the Navy?
  3. Have you been in any Battles, if so which, and did you loose any good friends or were you injured?
  4. You've mentioned that your relationship with your captain is illegal, is that a navy rule or some other law?
About your dark side...
You mentioned that your dark side beast manifested itself by making you kill the man you was threatening the man you love.
  1. How did the situation arise?
  2. What was you captain doing at the time?
  3. How did the captain react to you killing his attacker?
  4. How did other members of the crew react to you after the attack?
The Captain & you
A little task that may help your author is if you could write a love letter to you Captain. Imagine you both were on leave, but due to circumstances you couldn't spend your leave together. You decide to write a love letter knowing that once he has read the letter he will give it to your author for a quick read before it is destoryed for both of your safety. And maybe you should explain to your author you want to show your passionate side.

I hope I have been a help and you can always tell your author to message me direct,

Lady Domino

Insanity is repeating the same action over and over, expecting the same result.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Ashton Lee (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

What year is it? 1803/1804

I see you are in the Royal Navy.
  1. What ship are you on? HMS Lucretia of 74 guns (3rd class ship of the line)
  2. How long have you been in the Navy? Since I was 12.
  3. Have you been in any Battles, if so which, and did you loose any good friends or were you injured? I've seen many battles since a young age, of the biggest ones I've seen the Battle of the Nile as a freshly-made Lieutenant (with my former ship). I've lost some good comrades during my time here. I've been injured several times but fortununately never been close to death.
  4. You've mentioned that your relationship with your captain is illegal, is that a navy rule or some other law? Both naval law and civil laws. Article 29 in the Articles of War says: "If any person in the fleet shall commit the unnatural and detestable sin of buggery and sodomy with man or beast, he shall be punished with death by the sentence of a court martial. " We didn't commit *actual* sodomy yet, but even rumors could ruin us.
About your dark side...
You mentioned that your dark side beast manifested itself by making you kill the man you was threatening the man you love.
  1. How did the situation arise? We've been in battle with a French ship. We boarded them but they fought desperately and didn't surrender even though they had no hope to win.
  2. What was you captain doing at the time? He fought with the French commander and killed him but lost his sword in the process. Before he could get it back the French bosun attacked him. Weaponless, he grabbed a rope's end and tried to defend himself. I arrived just in time to save him, and seeing him in danger I attacked his opponent in a blind rage. I didn't know what I was doing, only stopped when my captain talked to me. The Frenchman was dead but I've been stabbing and cutting him long after he died. I've never done such a thing before. Yes, I killed a lot of men, but I never lost my mind in battle.
  3. How did the captain react to you killing his attacker? He was shocked... but he said I saved his life. Later he asked why I did it... and I know he meant "why so wildly", but it was so hard to explain... that man wanted to harm him. We weren't together yet by that time... but it was after this I realized what I feel for him is not just admiration for the wise leader or a son's love for a father figure.
  4. How did other members of the crew react to you after the attack? They didn't see much of it. We were fighting in thick fog and gunsmoke, and only my captain was close enough to see me.
The Captain & you

Author: Sorry, but this situation never occurs. They spend most of the story on the ship till they escape together... and I don't think they'd dare to write love letters. Formal letters maybe, with subtext...
Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 AM
LadyDomino (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 12

HI Felix,

What made you join the navy?

Who were your family - parents, siblings, grand-parents, aunts, uncles, cousins?

Any childhood friends?

Can you think of any instances in your childhood when you got very angry? If so what happened?

Do you know of any other male couples on board?

How much older than you is the Captain?

DIdn't the rest of the crew hear about your slaughter of the Captain's attacker? Would have thought on a ship it would be hard to keep anything secret.

The Captain & you
Author: Sorry, but this situation never occurs. They spend most of the story on the ship till they escape together... and I don't think they'd dare to write love letters. Formal letters maybe, with subtext...
The idea is to imagine what would happen if they were separated, to help Felix verbalise his feelings for the Captain, thereby getting a deaper understanding of Felix.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Ashton Lee (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

What made you join the navy? I wanted to serve my country - and naturally, there was a good amount of a boy's wish for adventure.

Who were your family - parents, siblings, grand-parents, aunts, uncles, cousins? My father was an Royal Marine officer, he fell in battle in the East Indies when I was ten. My mother was a commoner, the daughter of a gunsmith. I grew up with her and her parents, and I learnt a lot from my grandfather. I have no siblings. I have one aunt but she lived in another city so I didn't see her and her family often.

Any childhood friends? Village boys. We had a gang and used to play Robin Hood in the woods. By now they're mostly married... sometimes we meet when I go home on shore leave.

Can you think of any instances in your childhood when you got very angry? If so what happened? I can't recall... I did have fights but never got berserk.

Do you know of any other male couples on board? No, but there might be some. Everyone has to keep it secret...

How much older than you is the Captain? He's 48.

DIdn't the rest of the crew hear about your slaughter of the Captain's attacker? Would have thought on a ship it would be hard to keep anything secret. No one told me. It happened in battle, the few survivors soon surrendered and we had to leave the French ship because it was severely damaged. We couldn't even keep it as a prize.

Ok, letter... let's just pretend they can.

My dear Captain,

I used to hate daylight and worship the night... but now it's all equal. I can't have you. There was a time when I enjoyed shore leaves but now I didn't even go home. I remained in Portsmouth, even knowing you're not here, but you'll come back for the Admiralty's ball and I can finally see you again. Masks will hide everything... I'll kidnap you that night, leave the boring company and spend all time together.
I want to hold you again, and never let you go. I miss your warm gaze, your scent, your soft hair. I miss your voice... when will I hear you sing again? That old ballad about the lighthouse guard? When you sing I can feel all the passion you keep secret and only share with me.
I wish we could live together, somewhere where no one knows us and no one cares. Far from these stupid laws. I want to love you freely... and protect you from any harm.

Yours,
F.

Last edited by Ashton Lee; 03-15-2011 at 07:20 AM..
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
LadyDomino (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 12

Hello Felix,

It is good to get that glimce of your romantic side; I am sure that will help your author understand you and your emotions.

It can be hard being in love with someone who is quite a bit older than you. When did you first start having strong emotional feelings about th Captain?

Have you and the Captain spoken about your felings for him?

You said that you feelings for the Captain are recipricated, how do you know this, what has the Captain said?

When you have time to relax, how do you like to spend your time?

Take care,

Lady Domino

Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Ashton Lee (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

It can be hard being in love with someone who is quite a bit older than you. When did you first start having strong emotional feelings about th Captain? It started out as respect. I saw he treated the crew like a good father, and how they all adored him. The only time on this voyage he ordered a flogging was when we caught a thief... and even then, he hated that he had to punish someone. He's a humanist, so rare among our kind. But from the beginning, I felt sadness below the stoic surface. I didn't understand it back then, I just knew I wanted to see him smile... I don't know when exactly did my feelings deepen beyond admiration. After I killed that Frenchman for him, I realized it was love, and perhaps it always had been, I just failed to recognize it before. But I never thought he might feel the same way.

Have you and the Captain spoken about your felings for him? Yes... after a time. Right after our first kiss we had a fire ship attack, then on the same night, treachery from another ship in our fleet... and the next day, a terrible snowstorm. When we finally had time to talk we were to hungry for more love... and we decided to be careful, but go on with it. Yes, he brought up he was twice my age, but I didn't care... I want him and only him.

You said that you feelings for the Captain are recipricated, how do you know this, what has the Captain said?
We spent a lot of evenings together, playing chess (I was hopeless but he tried his best to teach me) or just talking... one night I touched his hand - without any second thoughts - and I saw he became upset... when we played another game I checkmated him easily. He couldn't concentrate. And he sent me away soon... later he admitted that for him, it was that moment he realized his feelings, and he couldn't deny it anymore, not before himself. But it took weeks till we finally confessed. We were sitting in his cabin, worrying about the sailing master who had been seriously ill... he talked about a similar tragedy in the past he couldn't prevent... and then we kissed each other. There was no real need for words. He wanted me to leave, saying it was impossible... too dangerous... but he couldn't let me go. And I refused to worry about it. He suffered so much, he barely slept for weeks and he thought I'd despise him if I knew... but now it's over. I can protect him... from his jealous arch-enemy who pretends to be a friend and from his own demons. He said I have enough positive thoughts for two.
When you have time to relax, how do you like to spend your time? Well, definitely not with chess, unless it's with him! I do read sometimes - I have to admit, I love cheap adventure books and can't stand these whiney sentimentalist romances. But I'm usually active. Even in idle time, I always find something to do, and I love to spend my time with the crew. I'm no aristocrat, and they see me more as a friend than a superior, although they show proper respect. I like to swim but now being winter, I can't. And I have a good friend, James, our first lieutenant, we often have long talks. It was a great triumph that I could get past his walls... usually, he's distant, cold and buttoned-up, and the crew hates him. He loves discipline too much. But I know his soul... he's lonely and he lived in the darkness. He allowed me closer than others, although not without resistance.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
estyles (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to estyles Send a message via MSN to estyles Send a message via Yahoo to estyles

Hello, Felix.

Lady Domino's had some good questions for you so far, but I still have a few for you.

You're pretty young, at least for where we are. Do you have any kind of long-term goals or plans for your future?

You say you're optimistic and good-hearted, but don't you have to be pretty tough to get by in the Royal Navy? How do you reconcile the two?

Also, how do you get on with your fellow officers? What do they think of you being so friendly with the enlisted men on your ship?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Ashton Lee (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

You're pretty young, at least for where we are. Do you have any kind of long-term goals or plans for your future?

Well, I hope I'll have my own ship one day and win battles for my country. I long for glory and I admire Nelson - scandalous private life or not, he's the best and he saved England's arse quite a few times.

You say you're optimistic and good-hearted, but don't you have to be pretty tough to get by in the Royal Navy? How do you reconcile the two?

Tough, yes, but for me it doesn't mean I'd have to be cruel. I try to do what my captain does, earn the men's love and loyalty, not their fear.

Also, how do you get on with your fellow officers? What do they think of you being so friendly with the enlisted men on your ship?

As I mentioned, I get on well with the first lieutenant, James, actually being in friendly terms. I think he disagrees with my methods - he often bitterly criticized the captain for "being too kind with this scum", but he never criticized me. Odd if I think - he likes to mock people. And he never has a word against me, although we think differently. He's often cruel with the crew and hates humanity in general, as well as himself... don't know why I am an exception.

The second lieutenant, Edgar, is... well... a good man and mediocrity personified, with all due respect. He agrees with everyone. Must be because his harpy wife terrorozes him.

And the sailing master... well, he's even softer than the captain. He never even uses his rattan. He idolizes James and he's always so melancholic... something's definitely wrong with him lately. He's very good in his profession but seems to have some private life problems, and he had been seriously ill not long ago. He's a bit more cheerful since he's back to health, and hangs around James. Actually, I asked James to be nice with him... poor man seems to trust my friend more than others.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM
estyles (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to estyles Send a message via MSN to estyles Send a message via Yahoo to estyles

Well, I hope I'll have my own ship one day and win battles for my country. I long for glory and I admire Nelson - scandalous private life or not, he's the best and he saved England's arse quite a few times.

Have you thought about anything outside a career in the Navy, though? Getting married and settling down, what you're going to do after you make Admiral and retire? Or do you see this as a lifetime career?

And I was meaning to ask you earlier and forgot, what do you do on shore leave?

Last edited by estyles; 03-16-2011 at 07:26 PM..
Old 03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Ashton Lee (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Have you thought about anything outside a career in the Navy, though? Getting married and settling down, what you're going to do after you make Admiral and retire? Or do you see this as a lifetime career? Earlier I thought about marrying one day, but that's right out by now. The one I love I cannot marry but my heart belongs to him. I wish to remain in the navy till retirement, but if circumstances would make me to choose between career and love, I'd give up all the glory. There are other jobs.

And I was meaning to ask you earlier and forgot, what do you do on shore leave?

If it's long enough I visit by hometown. My mother died two years ago in an epidemic, but my grandfather still lives and he likes to see me. He's a very tough old man. Served in the War of Austrian Succession when he was young, he still had his old rifle on the wall. He himself made it, it was his work for the master exam, and soon put into good use.
On shorter leaves I used to visit lasses... I've had quite a few mistresses. But next time all I want is to spend my time with the Captain.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 AM
LadyDomino (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 12

Originally Posted by Ashton Lee View Post

On shorter leaves I used to visit lasses... I've had quite a few mistresses. But next time all I want is to spend my time with the Captain.
Would you be able to spend you leave with your Captain?

Whats the Captain's name?

Do you still find yoself attracted to women?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 AM
LadyDomino (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 12

Originally Posted by Ashton Lee View Post

Would you be able to spend you leave with your Captain?

Whats the Captain's name?

Do you still find yourself attracted to women?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Ashton Lee (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Would you be able to spend you leave with your Captain? Perhaps. He's a bachelor and a rich aristocrat - no one to disturb him at home.

Whats the Captain's name? Philip. Author named (and modeled) him after a wonderful English tenor.

Do you still find yourself attracted to women? Hm, couldn't tell. Haven't seen women since we're together, and this journey might last months. I've liked them for lovemaking, but none of them touched my soul.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics