WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Advice for publishing a book with text + pictures

Old 06-02-2012, 08:52 AM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10
Default Advice for publishing a book with text + pictures

Last year I decided to combine my passions for photography and writing into a single childrens book. I formatted the book using Adobe InDesign and had a hard copy printed using Blurb. I then showed the book to my sons' teachers and the librarian. After initial feedback I revised the book to align with the 2nd and 3rd grade curricula and the comments on the revised book were very positive. In particular the librarian and teachers agreed that books are desperately needed in this space and that my book is unique in how it addresses its subject matter.

I decided to look into having the book published, but that is where I became confused. I purchased a book containing various publishers and what they are looking for but the general process in the publishing industry seems to be for publishers to choose an author for the prose and then hire an illustrator or photographer for the pictures. Therefore the submission guidelines did not fit my book very well - as I obviously need to send the manuscript and the pictures. The way the book is written, they must be presented together.

I have thought about self publishing this book but I am not too keen on that. I am aware how this industry works from self publishing three photography books for charity, and I simply do not have the time to self promote this book. All of my spare time currently goes towards my novel. I like this book, but it is a lower priority for me right now.

Would anyone have advice on how best to proceed here? I would like to at least send the book to a publisher and see what happens, but I am having difficulties figuring out how best to present my book. My current thinking is to just focus on my novel and when I have an agent mention the other book and ask for his/her advice on what to do with it, but each time someone that read the book asks when it will be published I begin to wonder whether there is a better way.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Ember (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 47

I was just trying to research something similar the other day and I couldn't find a satisfactory answer either! My husband is an artist, and I would love it if he could do some illustrations for my YA novel that I am writing. I am hoping to have more illustrations than the average book.

It seems like many children's books are written and illustrated by the same person. Stan and Jan Bernstein for example. So I know it can be done.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

It's there anything in the W & A Yearbook, the childrens edition one? If you submit a manuscript as normal, you can always add in to the query that you already have fully prepared artwork. They can request to see it that way.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Lin

If your book is illustrated, submit it as such.

Better yet, publish it. Send the published book to an agent.
If you decide that's worth the effort.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 AM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
If your book is illustrated, submit it as such.

Better yet, publish it. Send the published book to an agent.
If you decide that's worth the effort.
I did print the book out as a Blurb POD book for my Beta reviewers. This is not self publishing, but from a reviewer standpoint the end product is similar. Are you saying that I should just put the book in a padded envelope and send it along with a query letter to an agent?

I have thought about self publishing, but for photography books the numbers do not work out too well. If I publish it POD, the price will be too high for the market. The only way to get the book to a market sustainable price is to use offset printing. I know several offset printers who have provided quotes, but I would need to order at least 2,000 books for the profit margins to work out.

That in turn provides the question of how to sell 2,000 books. I could warehouse them with Amazon and have them ship it, but even with Amazon.com 2,000 books will not magically fly off their shelves. I tried another idea of working with a charity, but we could not figure out a plan where I would at least be reimbursed for my costs for the books that sell. My wife has been very strict (understandably) that she will not approve of 2,000 books sitting in our garage until I have a very strong plan to sell them, but as I mentioned before the truth of the matter is I do not have that kind of time.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Lin

In your position, I would publlsh on POD and sell them at a break-even price point, hoping to build numbers that would tip to offset.
I'd consider doing some smaller versions of the book, as well. I'd try publishing partial versions to eBooks, iPad, etc. Or sell them as pdf's.

PLEASE don't order a print run!!! :-)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 PM
kindleheart (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default Time

Originally Posted by kirispupis View Post
I have thought about self publishing this book but I am not too keen on that. I am aware how this industry works from self publishing three photography books for charity, and I simply do not have the time to self promote this book. All of my spare time currently goes towards my novel. I like this book, but it is a lower priority for me right now.
You have a point. Time is required in the promotion of your self published ebook. It is just as important as writing your product and creating an effective sales page, because after all if you do not do the "promote ebook" stage then your sales page and book are going to be hidden in some dark corner of the internet until promotion is done.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Lin

One option for photo books would be a pdf.
You can design the page colors, etc, have hyperlink navigation, use full color shots, set pages to horizontal format... like computer screens, etc.
The pdf can be read on Kindles and some other readers, but not in color.

A pdf file can be read on any computer, any operating system.
It's an accepted form of ebook, though not selling as much as Kindle' etc. But for photos...it's great. It can look like a book page or like a web page.

Best bet for this, take my word for it, is to create the document in Open Office free software, then export it as pdf. That way the links will work. Unless you have expensive adobe software.

They are really easy to do. If you can put tables, bookmarks, links and images in a word file, you can do this.

Sell them yourself off your site with PayPal, or put them in a download site like ClickBank.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM
jasongrover (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I would like to suggest that you need to send the book to the publisher first and for that ,you need to prepare with power point presentation.Once your presentation is done with, you will be totally aware about what you have to do next.
.................................................. .....................
Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Lin

NOBODY submits or publishes with power point.
Jesus...
Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 AM
awriter920 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 16

Excellent idea .

If I were you this is what I would do.

Because you don't have the pictures what you can do is put the text on one page and on the page where the pictures would be you could put a little text box that says were the pictures would be, what pictures and such.

I'm thinking about this with my project. I think Harry potter is a very famous book. Perhaps in part because of the pictures at the front of every chapter.

Pictures are powerful. And while most people expect to be reading a book for the text and not to see pictures, I would repeat the famous adage a picture is worth 1000 words. And if word count is impressive, you don't have to write one sentence. Just a picture will do and u are already up to 1000 words !

You take a look at piano books.

Most people go with alfred's beginner..

But what do these books have that all the other three blind mice meetoo titles dont of have?

Clever pictures that accompany the pieces.

Images are powerful. Even simple ones.

Anyway that's what I'll tell you as a film major who has graduated college

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by awriter920; 02-17-2013 at 05:50 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 PM
don_harold (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

I think this is a good combination and a good inspiration. You can create stories on the some photos you have taken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing