WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Donations?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696
Default Donations?

This may be a weird question. Yes, I'm leaning towards doing this, so no changing my mind, really.

I have a collection of short stories (revolving around Goldens) that I will be offering up for free in July. Now, though free will always be an option (and, no, no changing my mind about that) I'd also like to give people the option to "buy" it directly from my site, where all proceeds generated through their purchase will be donated to my favorite Golden Retriever rescue foundation.

So my question is: How would I go about tying together the "donate" part and the "downloading" part, where people (if they choose) will have to make the donation first in order to download the collection. Yes, the other option is free, and yes, all proceeds will be collected and given to the rescue foundation. I need to know how to connect the donation part to the downloading part.

Wow, I just repeated myself.

No. No changing my mind. I'm leaning heavily towards doing this, unless there's a damned good reason I shouldn't. And no, earning profits for myself isn't a damned good enough reason.

Any ideas?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Redlorry

How about going through a site like Just Giving (I think that might be a UK site, but there must be a USA version)

You create a page or profile that says what you are doing and who you are raising money for. When people make donations it goes straight to the charity. You can see from your profile who has donated and how much they've donated then you can send them the book.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Huh! I'll have to see if there's an equivalent. Thanks, Red!

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Redlorry

Just checked. www.Justgiving.com is international, so you should be able to do it, not only that but you can get donations from people all around the world from what I can see. Good luck and let me know when you're up and running with it so i can make a donation.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Ah! I actually found something similar here in the US, but they charge the non-profit, which I don't want. Since what you've suggested is worldwide, I'll have to scrutinize it and see what's what.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

They charge too, unfortunately. Meh. I'm thinking about just adding in a "Donate" button to my page with a fixed amount, and once the donation is made, have it bring them to a page where they can download the file for their e-reader. I'm thinking I'll be able to collect the donations, and send them off, in bulk, to the organization. Does that sound feasible?

I always run the risk of people being skeptical that the money's actually going to the cause (which 100% of it will), but I'd rather that, than have a company charge the non-profit place I'm trying to raise donations for! Lol.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Aww, what a super cool idea. Have you contacted the retreiver foundation? They usually have something put in place for funsraisers and may be able to give some pointers.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Ooo. Another good idea. I might try that. Thanks.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Lin

If the donation is volutary, why not just put two buttons, one to download the book, and the other to donate thorugh PayPal?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

I think I'm going to do that, actually. *nods* I absolutely don't mind if people just want to download the collection for nothing. But I'll be thrilled if they want to donate and then download it. I want to keep things as simple as possible for people. Nothing like turning them off from future published works because of complication.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Lin

Exactly. This also keeps it way simpler for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Lin

BTW make cool buttons at http://cooltext.com
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Oh, yeah! You can make cool buttons there. I might try to implement a Golden head or side profile of a retriever, or something like that, as my button. Ah, the possibilities . . .

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Lin

You got a dogs dingbat?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Lol! That sounds funny. I don't know. I'll have to check. Probably do.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Yay! Got it. There was a cute running puppy in Open Clip Art that I wanted to use somewhere, and it's perfect to be the donation button. Gonna go through Paypal with this whole thing; keeps track of who donates and whatnot.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Lin

AND gets you their email for your list.

(Bua ha ha)
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Lol! Ah. I didn't even think of that. Hmm . . .

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Lin

Experience counts heavily when it comes to being evil.

Seriously, though, I'd think anybody who'd donate would want to be on a puppy hugger list. All you have to do to come over to the light side is offer them an opt-out.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM
MightieMousie (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 36

Will I get an actual puppy to hug? Or is this a warm fuzzy feeling without the warm fuzzy puppy to provide it?

Never had a Golden, but have met a few, such beautiful and sweet natured dogs.

Will the collection be about dogs? That would be kind of cool if it were.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Lin

Good news is, it's about dogs.

Bad news, it's a cook book.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Hahahahahaha! Oh, damn. You gave it away.

Yes, the collection is about Goldens. Just a handful of short tales (one short story, a prose-poem of sorts, a micro fiction, and a Golden-related essay). I really want to give it away, but I would be thrilled if people decided to donate. It'll be a fixed $1 amount, so nothing too much. I just run the risk of people being cynical. You know, the whole,"Oh, she's just doing that to rake in money for herself," when it'll all go to the rescue foundation (collectively).

Or maybe it's just my cynical mind thinking people will think that.

And yes, you can have a puppy hug if you want. I have a Golden. He'll be happy to give you a sloppy puppy hug.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Lin

I think if you use a "cart" out of paypal, people might bwe able to donate more by buying like 5 donations.
Whatever you set, be sure to explain it to people. Stupidity knows no limits.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Oh, yeah. I have it set at a dollar, and so it reads: "Click the puppy to donate a dollar," and in bright red at the top, I explain where the proceeds generated will go. I'm hoping if people see there's an option, and not that they have to donate in order to download, they'll be more trusting.

Now I just have to try it out by donating a buck to myself, make sure it does what I want it to, correctly.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
MightieMousie (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 36

Update us on your Golden Collection?
contempt prior to investigation." — Herbert Spencer
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

It'll be out in July. Along with my indie press site opening. I've made the donation button. Haven't tested it out yet. I'm thinking about asking my in-laws to test it.

Yes, I like my in-laws.

Anyway, it's coming. The collection, I mean. I'm just extremely particular on how I present stuff. And I like to build momentum. Just blogging to garner attention for my writings, currently.

Thanks for asking, though!

Edit: Do keep in mind, it's not a huge collection: one short story, a prose poem (maybe?), a flash piece, and an essay. Another reason it's free. There are only four tales.

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 02-05-2013 at 01:05 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing