WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Good Riddance to the Holiday Season!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Unknown_Hero (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate

Thanks 5
Send a message via MSN to Unknown_Hero Send a message via Skype™ to Unknown_Hero
Default Good Riddance to the Holiday Season!

It can be found here:

http://wp.me/pUoI2-1w

As of right now the Holiday season for the year of 2010 is over. Now we go into a new year of 2011. Personally it hasnít been a good Holiday season for me. I didnít get the PlayStation 3, though I have a feeling that my Pastor is going planning on getting me one but thatís just me. I didnít go out for New Years for a good reason since I had to run an errand with my mom who almost got lost out in the country. I joked to her if she went out farther west she would end up in Kansas City. And a friend of who grew up in St. Louis was stuck in Chicago because his car was still in the shop.

Now that Iím older and little wiser Iíve come to a conclusion about the Holiday season. I thought of this when I was talking to my friend on the phone that the holiday season is overrated.

With this time behind us everyone goes back to being mean from nice and the family goes back home from visiting folks. The soft rock station that plays Christmas jingles 24/7 after thanksgiving goes back to its unlistenable playlist on the 26th of December. The decorations are pit away, the Christmas trees are off to the dump and who those how many New Yearís Resolutions are broken after one day.

Iím speaking from someone whoís had a crummy holiday. Finally it is a new year all the seasonal expectations behind us now can go about our day and do what we want with any occasion that isnít an end of the year holiday. You can buy whatever you want; do whatever you want because you want to do it. Have fun for the sake of having fun!

- William W. Gibbs (1948 - 2008)
Old 01-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Lin

Amen. I just HATE this whole "holidays" thing. Christmas is a plastic stress-fest and NY a drunken blitz.
It's a depressing, hypoctirical, obnoxious time of year with TOTALLY fucked-up music.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

That's the holiday spirit guys!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Ethan Blake (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 347
Send a message via AIM to Ethan Blake Send a message via Skype™ to Ethan Blake

'Bah Humbug!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'THERE MAY BE TROUBLE AHEAD!'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

A Christmas Story

Though most children loved Christmas Day, I hated it because, for me, it was the lonliest day of the year. When I was a child, I wasn't big on toys, but I loved playing with friends in the street--in fact, the more friends to play with, the happier I was. But on Christmas Day the streets in my neighborhood were deserted, and there was a soul with whom I could play. Awful!

I remember one particular Christmas when I was about eight-years-old, and I was with my friend Michael, in his apartment (we lived in the same building) writing letters to the North Pole, asking Santa to deliver us some toys. I recall that we had some crayons and made some really colorful drawings, which we included with our notes.

Michael requested a gas station (it was a popular toy back then), and I asked for toy soldiers. We sent Santa the letters about two weeks before the holiday, and on that Christmas morning, I woke up, looked beneath the tree, and didn't find any soldiers.

Then, I dressed, went into the kitchen, and told my mom I was going for a walk. As I entered the street, I remembered that my other friend Tommy had been bragging for the past two weeks that he was getting a puppy for a present, so I raced around the corner hoping to catch him walking the pup outside his building.

When I had gotten by Tommy's building, my heart just sank. There lying on the top of one of the metal trash cans lined outside his building was a brown and white puppy--dead! It was such a despicable sight to see that little puppy discarded as though it were an empty milk carton or an empty can of beans. Tommy's parents didn't even have the decency to put the poor thing in a cardboard box. What a family of knuckleheads.

Then, I continued my journey through the chilly streets that morning determined to spot someone to play with. Unfortunately, after searching for about two hours, I didn't meet one friend; and by now my hands and feet were beginning to get numb, so I decided to go back home to get warm. After racing up the three flights to reach our apartment, I burst through the front door to find my mom seated alone in the kitchen.

She turned towarded me and said, "A lady was here a little while ago."

"A lady?" I asked.

"Yes, she said that you wrote a letter to Santa Claus asking for toys."

"She brought me the soldiers?" I eagerly inquired.

"Well, she left some presents for you beneath the tree, and she asked me to tell you she was sorry she missed you."

I raced into the room to find two bags filled with green plastic soldiers. There were also some jeeps and tanks in another bag.

After opening the bags to handle the toys for a while, I left the room, ran out of our apartment, and started banging on my friend Michael's door, which was directly across the hallway. When Michael answered, I asked him whether he had received the gas station he requstion, but he said that nobody had visited his apartment with any toys. He wasn't so lucky as I was.

Many Christmases have past, and I have always wondered about that lovely stranger who went out of her way to make the holiday enjoyable for a boy she didn't even know. Over the years, I have never forgotten about her wonderful deed, and I always reserved a place in my heart for her because she taught me a valuable lesson, a lesson that in this world, there are those who stay on the sidelines (often complaining about anything) and there are those who get involved (trying to make things brighter for others).

Now this woman (whom, unfortunately, I never met) is the shining star the weary world seeks at this time of the year. Bless you, lady, wherever you may be.

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-02-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Redlorry

Very nice Shelly.

I must admit Chritmas this year in our house was very flat. My mother in law passed away in last year and she was always the one who made the day for everyone. She played with children and was fun to talk with. Having lost my own mother some five years ago I really missed her presence. We all did.

All of us, me hubby, his aunt and his father, as well as our two children were under the weather, no appetites for the huge meal I cooked and falling asleep now and then.

My poor son is a car maniac, but everyone bought him other stuff this year because they always get him cars. He mainly got books, colouring pads and craft stuff. My heart broke as he looked wistfully at his sisters pile of parcels, mostly Littlest Pets, which were boxier than his flat parcels and evidently must have seemed more exciting to a four year old in all the splangly wrappings. Thankfully he did get some cars, and spent the rest of the afternoon playing with them. He was totally ingrossed, as only a child can be, in creating a traffic jam on the sofa.

The days wasn't a failure, but it was certainly subdued.

As for New Years, well we didn't have plans, we didn't feel well enough. I was in bed at 11.15pm, shattered and influeced by a strong Merlot. Hubby saw New Year in all by himself.

I have high hopes for 2011, so on New Years day I thoroughly enjoyed taking down the tree. So long 2010.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Lin

Bah, etc ....
Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Redlorry

Lin, my little boy would love that! Humbug! Perfect
Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Nadja

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
TOTALLY fucked-up music.
isn't it just! Utterly crap music.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Lin

It's TOTALLY weird wandering around in stores in Mexico listening to people singing in English... about snow.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Lin

Actually, there is one Christmas song that doesn't make me sick: Silver Bells
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
It's TOTALLY weird wandering around in stores in Mexico listening to people singing in English... about snow.
Actually this years was the first in about a quarter of a century that we actually had a white Christmas. For once my street resembled the Christmas cards

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing