WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Storyline Creator

Old 01-18-2015, 02:28 AM
TenshiS (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3
Icon3 Storyline Creator

Hello everyone,

After weeks of searching for tools to support the creative process of writing and a great pile of nothing as result, I began visualizing my stories by hand, drawing simple charts and diagrams as you might have at some point. Then, one day, one of the visualizations just stuck. It enabled me to do exactly what I wanted, so I decided to share it with you.

I created "Storyline Creator", which allows you to quickly and easily draw a storyline based on your characters and events. This allows for quick drafting and it can help with writing, especially when you need an overview of everything that is happening to get some creative ideas. Hope it helps!

Check it out at storylinecreator.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TenshiS For This Useful Post:
Cwylldren (03-05-2015), daveolden (01-27-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 06:41 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

A bit pointless really. If anyone actually needs to use that rather than their imagination, they probably should just retire from writing.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:47 AM
TenshiS (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3

Well that's a bit harsh...
Old 01-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Not really. It's just the truth.

If you can't use the storyline creator installed between your ears, a hoky bit of software isn't going to suddenly give you an imagination.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 AM
TenshiS (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3
Icon13 It's not that you couldn't do without it, it's that it could help you do better.

It's a tool to create a diagram and follow your characters through the story's events, kind of like the XKCD Movie Narrative Charts.

It's not a tool to replace your head, but I think that's quite obvious to anyone with a head.

It enables you to do a thing which can be useful or not, depending on your circumstances.

Sure, you could dismiss any post-its, and storyboards, and brain-storming sessions, and any other kind of process and tool which adds to the creative process, or you could even dismiss a computer or a typewriter as something you could do without and still write great stories. And you'd be right. It's not that you couldn't do without it, it's that it could help you do better.

Where's your creativity when it comes to using tools, for God's sake.
The Following User Says Thank You to TenshiS For This Useful Post:
daveolden (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 08:05 AM
daveolden (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default If I could chime in here....?

Let's say, I'm taking a new road trip.

I take out my trusty map book, look at the pictures, plan my route. Then I set the maps aside, and fasten my seat belt.

The map doesn't start the engine, nor disengage the parking brake, nor press the accelerator. Maps can't even turn steering wheels.

Maps really help though, but in no way does referencing them make me less of a driver!

- Dave

Last edited by daveolden; 01-27-2015 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: adjusting final sentence
Old 02-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Krisjuljen (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5

I use this random generator with my writing students. They recently changed the site. Click on menu for a list of helpful generators. I especially like the lottery generator. It randomly selects lottery numbers in case you don't successfully make it as a writer. Lol

http://writingexercises.co.uk/index.php
Old 03-05-2015, 12:31 AM
Cwylldren (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 9

Some people keep a lovely filing system with filing cabinets, a card catalogue, cross-referencing, and a lovely old-fashioned punch card key-word search system (anyone remember those?) between their heads. Others have the "any available surface" method of mental filing and are glad of any help in organizing it.
Some use index cards, others sticky notes, others excel sheets, and some are thankful for a neat little program where they only have to enter their data and it gets put into order for them.
I find that in writing down and organizing plot points, I often get new ideas. I also see the weaknesses and problems better that way.
So: Thanks for sharing this!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:46 AM
funkypen (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I've never really used one of these before...

Technically if the world around you and every day situations inspire ideas for stories, what is wrong with using a generator for ideas?

It's a tool.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by TenshiS View Post
Where's your creativity when it comes to using tools, for God's sake.
Oh, the joyful idiocy.

I don't use tools as a substitute for creativity. I'm not alone. Did you know Hemingway never even had internet access? Dickens never downloaded an app in his whole life and Shakespeare eschewed email.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 PM
pkro (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I like it. It might not be of much use for a simple storyline but it could be an excellent aide for very complex stories. I think you could really expand on a visual aide like that. Also creativity means little if you can't keep track of your information. Tools like that can be helpful.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe