WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Can Superpowers and Energy Attacks Work in a Novel?

Old 05-12-2016, 03:40 PM
trombone77 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3
Default Can Superpowers and Energy Attacks Work in a Novel?

So, I am planning on writing a western novel (possibly series) about three bounty hunters traveling around Colorado and its surrounding areas protecting others and fighting enemies using their abilities called "animal auras."

I am still hammering out the details of the aura, but I do know that the animal aura will be something internal that manifests externally to allow the individual either to launch an attack or to defend themselves. The attacks will take on a more animalistic appearance as the individual advances in their use of their powers. My main issue would be to figure out how I could get readers to imagine the attacks without making the fight scenes clunky.

I am looking for any criticism: praise, doubts, fears, but mostly questions. What questions do you guys have that you feel a reader would raise with this type of premise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 342

Give us an example to chew up
trombone77 (05-30-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 03:52 AM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

Try having a description or use of the auras well prior to them being used in a battle. Perhaps when the characters develop their powers or are training. This will allow you to focus on the actions and outcome of the people in the battle and not the appearance of the auras.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to K.S. Crooks For This Useful Post:
trombone77 (05-30-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 07:05 AM
trombone77 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3
Default Can Superpowers and Energy Attacks Work in a Novel?

Originally Posted by daes13 View Post
Give us an example to chew up

For anyone waiting for an example, sorry about the wait. I just got done with graduation and I'm starting to develop the story.

Also, @K. S. Crooks, thank you for the suggestion. In the example I'm going to compose, I'll try to keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2016, 09:41 AM
nomadreid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default relevance?

The first thing to consider is how the aura is relevant to your story besides just being an additional weapon. That is, why an aura and not some other defense? Does the aura serve any other purpose in the story? Also, in describing their use, don't get too engrossed in details of the battle: you don't want to detract attention from the story itself. Also, the more details, the better chance that someone can find fault with it. But you don't want to go to the other extreme and write, "they used the aura and their enemies died." The battle can be a vehicle for the development of other story lines; for example, character development. How your characters react emotionally to the battle or to the unexpected use of the aura.
The Following User Says Thank You to nomadreid For This Useful Post:
trombone77 (05-30-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:34 PM
collegedropout (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Do you happen to play an "old school" super-hero game before video was invented (Champions, GURPS, there used to be a truckload of others)? If so this is a double-edged sword...it gives you a framework to buld your characters' powers around....but then you have to write the story withOUT saying "three-die six killing attack".

As an observation....let's assume for a moment that you haven't played any of those games (even remembering them shows how old I'm getting-- let alone admitting having actually played them).....

Identify each power (or group of powers) with a particular animal. If you havent already, briefly write down notes on what each animal power can and cannot do. In phase two...go to YouTube and for each animal type, enter the name of the and add the word "fight". Take copious notes on how each animal attacks and defends itself....

That should give you a good start

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice