WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Can't stop editing!!!!!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Fat Tire (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Can't stop editing!!!!!

Hi, noob to forum, non-noob to struggling with fiction -

Whenever I sit down to write, I can wind up editing, editing, editing.

Anyone ever use an editor to help keep things tight and moving?

Good, bad, or useless?

Really interested to hear your ideas and experiences.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Speaking as a writer, editing while writing is useless; you'll end up changing things time and time again.

Speaking as an editor, editing while editing is very useful; we end up fixing things time and again. Well, not time and again, hopefully. Lol!

I've used editors/proofreaders for my own work, but not as things progressed.

As an editor, I suggest you get the story down first. Get beta readers to read it for overall feedback. Then hire an editor for some substantive work (content), or, if you feel your story is tight as it is (plotwise, character development, etc.; not usually the case for newbie writers), then a line editor. Never forget to have it proofread at the very, very end, though. Little things missed here and there all add up to readers who scrunch their noses up in mild distaste.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
Bagit (04-19-2016), Fat Tire (04-19-2016), Gaines (04-19-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 06:17 PM
ladybug2535 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Beta readers

deleted--accidentally posted twice

Last edited by ladybug2535; 05-02-2016 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: trying to delete
Old 05-02-2016, 06:28 PM
ladybug2535 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Beta readers

How do you "sign up" to work as a Beta reader, and how do you find them? (Other than forums such as this--although I'm new to this one, in my experience forums are too limited. You can't post most of a book among other things...) I've been frustrated with friends or acquaintances as readers; they are usually "too" supportive, or they aren't able to analyze what is wrong with something that needs work. It's very difficult to take a non-biased eye to my own writings, but I am very good at critiquing and analyzing someone else's. I think it would be fun to help other writers in their process.

As far as editing: While I agree endless editing can be fruitless (and I'm guilty!) readers disliking poor editing in published works--from reviews I've read, many readers actually take it very seriously and will viciously vilify any work that demonstrates a lack of proofreading or poor spelling (anything beyond just a few common typos or spellcheck errors). Many of them won't finish the work even if the story itself appeals to them but will blast the author and leave very poor ratings (and/or damning comments). It isn't just a minor annoyance to many readers, and the impact of their ire is pretty immediate. On the other hand, some of the "books" (and I use the term very loosely here) out there in these days of self-publishing are atrocious--it's obvious that the author made no attempt to spellcheck or proofread, or even check for continuity....not the most basic tasks fundamental to any publishing attempt. That shows a real lack of respect for their readers, or their story for that matter. Some of these authors admit that they are "publishing" their essentially unfinished and unedited stories as a way to get feedback from their audience and use that as a way to help them pull the story together. That is so unprofessional! And as I said, unfair to their readers. If you are asking them to be "beta readers" you should inform them before they begin to read--and you definitely shouldn't be selling that as a finished work (as some are--even if it IS only .99). Amazon is a really good source for examples of these unprofessional actions, given their self-publishing venture.

The other thing readers rabidly dislike--and this is a problem based on how Amazon compensates their self-published writers, is when a writer takes a complete story but breaks it up into a trilogy or multi-"book" option, when it doesn't make any sense to do so. They deliberately publish say, the first chapter (!) and yes I've seen this--as a book in itself, trying to get readers to buy the next installment--without informing their readers that it's a serial and not an actual self-contained "book" ( or story). Frankly, these unprofessional self-published authors have put off many readers from downloading--let alone buying anything from unknown authors. What a shame! You'll see in some of the synopses assurances by the authors that their offering is a completely self-contained story--and even that it has been proofread, etc. to try and reassure their potential readers. What a shame that they even have to consider doing this.

Last edited by ladybug2535; 05-02-2016 at 06:42 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ladybug2535 For This Useful Post:
Fat Tire (05-04-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 06:40 PM
ladybug2535 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

to WebMasters: Accidentally posted this a second time after a quick edit. If deleting duplicate, please save this post and delete the first. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2016, 07:31 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by ladybug2535 View Post
How do you "sign up" to work as a Beta reader, and how do you find them?
Online is easiest, but as you rightly say it's hard to use a forum to critique a full-length novel. Most genres have at least one online critique circle where prospective authors can swap in-depth critical reviews of each other's work. Personally I write speculative fiction and the critique circle I recommend for full-length novels in these genres is critters, at http://www.critters.org.

For short stories, song lyrics, TV episode scripts and other short-format works, forums are ideal and this is one of the best.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Unpredictabloo (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

I have this problem a lot, and two things help me:

1.) Write in pen. If you don't mind writing by hand, this is a good way to keep yourself from editing as you go because you can't "delete" as you work. At first it seems like a lot of pressure but it gets easier the more you do it!

2.) I use this app called "Writer's Block" that works wonders. You can put in a word-amount goal and it will not let you do anything else on your computer until you reach the goal. Since it forces you to write a certain amount of words, it makes it easier to spit out sentences and leave them there. I don't know if it's available on all systems? I have a mac.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:04 AM
EmyJ (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Unpredictabloo View Post
I have this problem a lot, and two things help me:

1.) Write in pen. If you don't mind writing by hand, this is a good way to keep yourself from editing as you go because you can't "delete" as you work. At first it seems like a lot of pressure but it gets easier the more you do it!

2.) I use this app called "Writer's Block" that works wonders. You can put in a word-amount goal and it will not let you do anything else on your computer until you reach the goal. Since it forces you to write a certain amount of words, it makes it easier to spit out sentences and leave them there. I don't know if it's available on all systems? I have a mac.
Hi!
Wow! Thanks.
I have the same issue.
But...writing in pen is slowly and doesn't prevent editing on the top of the wrong words.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:41 AM
thisangel (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 150

I also have the same issue. I just keep seeing ways to make it all better! My book's written at least, but I've literally been in edd/re-write mode for a YEAR! :0

I've so far sheared off 30,000 words...but as a first time novellist I know I'll need to shave off another 20,00-30,000 (the whole book stands at 150, 00 wors at the moment). :/

I found something that is helping me immensely, however. I'm currently going chapter by chapter and reading everything aloud. I'm finding WAY more SPAG and overwritten bits than ever before!

Hope that helps!

Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 AM
AlyssJJJ1 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I think the best variant is the first variant! Without any editing.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:23 AM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

To help yourself stop editing while you write try writing using pen and paper. When you finish a chapter type it into your computer and give it a once over to make sure the plot and tone are the way you want.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 PM
taeily23 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

This was a HUGE problem for me when writing my first book. Once I got to the 2nd book I started to make rules for myself once I sat down.

Now I only allow myself 5 minutes with the last page of my writing. I do not start reading from the beginning anymore. It's enough time for me to get into the story again and continue writing but it prevents me from trying to edit everything all over.

I found this really helped keep me on my daily word counts.

Hope this helped you too!

-----

Read about my adventures on: askwonderlust.com.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 AM
Rob56 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I use the help of editor from college-paper.ca it's a necessity for me. And it is also important to find a reliable editor, who will have a similar way of thinking as you.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM
hymanwallace (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Somebody said you have to have written ten bad things before you can write anything worth writing so it's a good idea to get those ten things those ten awful dreadful embarrassing things written and out of the way.

I don't know who said it. Somebody nobody's ever heard of maybe. But it sounds good to me.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues