WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

What makes a good title?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:04 AM
ShortStoryZ (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Icon5 What makes a good title?

Working on titles for a few short stories, and I'm not happy with what I have. Looking for some inspiration. Any ideas for what makes a good title?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,692

Something catchy that encompasses the gist of the story. Anything cool/unusual/interesting stated in the stories that might lend themselves naturally to title material?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
Mohican (04-20-2017)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 AM
dade30 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 3

Try to make some revisions with it. Maybe by the time you have made some modifications it would look good. Another thing is that, some title or maybe most do attract the readers, its eye catchy- interesting and unique form the others. You could also make some weird titles that the readers would be able to think and be curious with your story. Originality matters.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Jack (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 29

"Make it exciting" or "something that grabs you" are easy things to say, but how do you do that? I don't believe anyone can give you specific step by step rules to follow.

I, for one, couldn't begin to tell you how to create a good title, but I know one when I see it. I make a list of possible titles. I list any title that comes to mind regardless of how silly. Then I go back and pick the most attractive.

Best title ever "Tears of the Sun". Worst movie ever "Tears of the Sun". Still, every time I hear the title, I want to watch the movie again.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

instinct just follow your noise as they say!!
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Owen (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 149

I like to use titles which mean nothing on their own, but make the reader want to know why that title was used. Also, titles which seem odd or strange are far better than cliched titles. Titles which give nothing away are always more enticing for me.

For example if you had a story about a day at the zoo, you could call it "A Day At The Zoo". But it would be better if you called it something like, "Claws", or "Lion Shit".

Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Owen (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 149

Originally Posted by Jack View Post
"
Best title ever "Tears of the Sun". Worst movie ever "Tears of the Sun". Still, every time I hear the title, I want to watch the movie again.
That title sucks!

Best title ever - the nominations are:

"IT" (Stephen King)
"The Bad Place" (Dean Koontz)
"From The Corner Of His Eye" (Dean Koontz)
"Slaughterhouse Five" (Kurt Vonnegut)
"A Scanner Darkly" (no idea, but I love the title)

But the winner is...
"Star Wars" (think about it - has a great ring to it and conjures great imagery with just those 2 words!)

Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Dan Hauer (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Short stories often have pretty simple titles that come from an object, character, setting, or specific moment of the story. Some examples:

The Lottery Ticket
After the Ball
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
Harrison Bergeron
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Library of Babel

It doesn't have to be anything too wild. Just identify the center of your story, in five words or fewer (maybe a couple more if you really, really need them). There's your title.

My blog:
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
that_guy (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12

I think short titles make good titles. I am working on a story now that it simply titled "Beautiful Monster". Titles have to catch the eye. so you want to see action words, or words that attract attention.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 AM
pixiesvsnight (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

I like the titles that are a bit of a story in themselves. "The lion, witch and the wardrobe" comes to mind.
My own ones are a reflection of content but more of a metaphor.
"Pixies vs The Night"
"Bring on The Night"
"Death to The Pixies"
"One Last Night"
Old 12-14-2016, 11:53 PM
rogerafrance (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

A title has two main purposes grab the attention of potential readers and serve as a point of reference. A good title is catchy, has an air or mystery and is in line with the book's content.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:25 PM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

One method is a combination of words that makes a person wonder why they are together- The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe; The Hunger Games; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; The Da Vinci Code; Seven Deadly Wonders.

Another option is using a single word- Divergent; Legend; Changeling; Frankenstein; Dracula.

Or having a series main title and using sub-titles for each book. This can be used with either of the first two methods- Chronicles of Narnia; Harry Potter;

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues