WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Issues

Issues Current and past issues of the publication

Writer's Beat Quarterly | Issue 25 - February 2010

Old 01-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690
Default Writer's Beat Quarterly | Issue 25 - February 2010

Download Here
Right-click to save the pdf to your computer, which will make the in-document links work.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please post them in this thread or PM HoiLei (editor-in-chief), or send an email to WBQzine@gmail.com .

Thank you and enjoy reading!

The WBQ Editorial Team

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HoiLei; 01-31-2010 at 03:54 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
Tau (02-01-2010)
Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Tree (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 4
Send a message via AIM to Tree

Thank you guys for doing this.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Lin

Damn, seems like only three months since your last quarterly.

Another great job by the WBQ gang. * LOVED the "Limelight' guy, could replace the Sunkist Raisins in America's affections".

And yes, this site is lucky to have such dedication, very few sites have their own journal like this and I can't think of any that has a better one.

BIG, HUMONGOUS kudos to HoiLei and Devon and any other unindicted conspirators.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
HoiLei (02-02-2010)
Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690

Thanks, Lin.

As art director, I'd like to send out a special thank you to Jackie D'Silva (and to HoiLei for pointing us in her direction), who made our fabulous cover this time around. It's absolutely fantastic.

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by HoiLei; 02-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: name
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Essence (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
As art director, I'd like to send out a special thank you to Jackie D'Silva (and to HoiLei for pointing us in her direction), who made our fabulous cover this time around. It's absolutely fantastic.
Wow, that is amazing.

The last WBQ was a bed-time read for me so this one shall be a morning read! I'm so exicted!

EDIT: Well, that was fun...while it lasted - and now, I am bored! A job well done everyone!

Last edited by HoiLei; 02-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: name in quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Essence For This Useful Post:
HoiLei (02-02-2010)
Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Owen (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 149

First time I've seen this, and I'm impressed. WBQ is lovely piece of graphic design and the content is plentiful. I wish I had a nice colour printer and a stack of glossy paper.

The Following User Says Thank You to Owen For This Useful Post:
HoiLei (02-02-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Originally Posted by Tree View Post
Thank you guys for doing this.
No problem, your welcome, hope it was a good read.
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Damn, seems like only three months since your last quarterly.
Well, surprisingly, because a quarter of a year is three months, handy that.
Indeed, a for Jackie
Originally Posted by Essence View Post
Wow, that is amazing.

The last WBQ was a bed-time read for me so this one shall be a morning read! I'm so exicted!

EDIT: Well, that was fun...while it lasted - and now, I am bored! A job well done everyone!
Read it again.

Originally Posted by Owen View Post
First time I've seen this, and I'm impressed. WBQ is lovely piece of graphic design and the content is plentiful. I wish I had a nice colour printer and a stack of glossy paper.
Thank you, the Staff put a lot of work in these.

If you are interested you can download older issues from their threads.

Last edited by HoiLei; 02-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: name in quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:51 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Quite a new take rather than previous issues: I must say that the WBQ publication has evolved into something that is, very honestly, a considerably respectable magazine that has truly incorportated technology to make it, ultimately, outstanding in its field.

And I'm not even joking.

The incorporation of linking in the small "WBQ" logo, and the 'link' contents is really something that I haven't seen before; though it may not be the first, it really is successfully done and works like a dream.

This gets me thinking, actually: Owen, printing is not allowed without permission. WB obviously cannot print and distribute the magazines in hardcopy, with or without a cost or not. At least, it would be difficult... I'm thinking: a note alongside or in the magazine, stating something along the lines of, "...should you wish to obtain a hard-copy of WBQ, please contact a member of staff (or whoever) and/or email whatever@whatever.whatever for permission to print a hard-copy for personal use and non-commercial purposes only", yada yada yada. If you'd like to let people get a hard-copy, that is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SW; 02-01-2010 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: I think it's rather obvious... :D
The Following User Says Thank You to SW For This Useful Post:
HoiLei (02-02-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Owen (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 149

Originally Posted by SW View Post
This gets me thinking, actually: Owen, printing is not allowed without permission. WB obviously cannot print and distribute the magazines in hardcopy, with or without a cost or not. At least, it would be difficult... I'm thinking: a note alongside or in the magazine, stating something along the lines of, "...should you wish to obtain a hard-copy of WBQ, please contact a member of staff (or whoever) and/or email whatever@whatever.whatever for permission to print a hard-copy for personal use and non-commercial purposes only", yada yada yada. If you'd like to let people get a hard-copy, that is.
Umm, perhaps I'm missing something as I'm new to it, but I don't see the harm in a person printing out whatever they wish, after all it's their computer, their browser etc. The 'print' button is right there and you can do nothing about it. You cannot tell people they "aren't allowed to" print something off their browser screen, no matter what it is. (Well, you can tell them, but you can't possibly enforce it). This surely goes with the territory of e-publishing? A large portion of readers will want to print off the content and read it off paper. Anyway, why would WBQ care 'how' people read it, as long as they read it? I for one am never going to sit and read all that lovely content direct from my screen. My eyes won't be able to take it!

Owen

Last edited by Owen; 02-01-2010 at 02:11 AM..
Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

I for one am never going to sit and read all that lovely content direct from my screen. My eyes won't be able to take it!
True. The reason why I suggested what I did; that doesn't make printing it necessarily legal.

I quote:
Copyright of all material remains with the authors/artists. All
material herein--i.e. articles, stories, poems, photographs,
images, and illustrations--is either the property of Writer's Beat
Quarterly or is used with the permission of the copyright holder.
No part of this publication may be copied, printed, reproduced,
or otherwise circulated without permission from the publisher.
Technically, since this is an electronic magazine, it's a form of reproduction.

You can go and print it out, but... I did say that printing is not allowed without permission. It's up to you to follow that or not.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690

'Wholy' has only one 'l'. :wink:
Actually it has two. But a hearty "thank you" to you for viewing our WBQ as an ever-evolving, ever-improving, respectable magazine. We do appreciate it.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Actually it has two
See, this is why I shouldn't be kept up late. Goodness' knows why I'm making so many of these very silly mistakes nowadays.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

See, this is why I shouldn't be kept up late. Goodness' knows why I'm making so many of these very silly mistakes nowadays.
It is called old age, welcome to the club.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:23 AM
OnceUponATime (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Location: State of Insanity - I must be in order to start my own paper...
Thanks 12

Terrific issue - loved the review on "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" LOL! Terrific stuff...

JKC

-Jillian
The Following User Says Thank You to OnceUponATime For This Useful Post:
HoiLei (02-02-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 AM
El902 (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 43
Send a message via AIM to El902 Send a message via MSN to El902

Only had time to skim through, but another lovely issue I am sure. Can't wait until I have time to sit down and read through all the stories and articles.

The aesthetic appeal, at a glance, was somehow more than it has been before. Are the pages shorter? It seems like they are . . . I like the change. Easier to scroll on my slow computer, and easier means more enjoyable.

And I loved the cover. Kudos to the artist.
HoiLei (02-02-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

LOVED the "Limelight' guy, could replace the Sunkist Raisins in America's affections".
I'll tell the Wolfling. I'm sure she'll be pleased someone appreciates her wee doodle.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 AM
moonmanmad (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

I've been gone from this site for quite a while and forgot about your quarterly. My heartfelt apologies. I'm the editor of a magazine myself, so I know what hard work you guys do to get your mag out on time and with a high standard of quality. I'm looking forward to reading this.
HoiLei (02-02-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 12:19 PM
J.Hanson (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Lovely!

This is the first I've seen and it's very well done.

Current obsession: Alan Rickman
The Following User Says Thank You to J.Hanson For This Useful Post:
HoiLei (02-22-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 01:27 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

BIG, HUMONGOUS kudos to HoiLei and Devon and any other unindicted conspirators.
They're indicted on the back cover, but it's mainly all the staff here and a few ex-staffers. And their parents/children/friends, who provide pictures, emergency internet access, and patience when the deadline comes! Speaking of friends, I have given my friend Jackie the link to this thread, so she's getting everyone's compliments on the cover. It's a gorgeous drawing, isn't it?

Quite a new take rather than previous issues: I must say that the WBQ publication has evolved into something that is, very honestly, a considerably respectable magazine that has truly incorportated technology to make it, ultimately, outstanding in its field.

And I'm not even joking.

The incorporation of linking in the small "WBQ" logo, and the 'link' contents is really something that I haven't seen before; though it may not be the first, it really is successfully done and works like a dream.
Thanks, SW! It's really encouraging to get feedback like that!

SW and Owen: regarding the copyright and printing thing, I didn't write the copyright section of things (it was in place before I came on staff) so I'll check on that for you. But my impression is that "printing" was intended to mean printing in bulk, maybe for sale. I think individuals should be allowed to print their own copies for personal use, provided they're not profiting. Just in case that's not how it works, though, you can consider this permission to print for personal use. Go for the glossy paper; I'm sure it'll look nice!

FYI: if "wholly" had been spelled wrong, we would have kept it that way, since it was in the Overheard on the Beat section. The stuff there is directly quoted from posts, so typos, smileys, etc. are kept for their forum flavor. However, I did just notice another typo that actually needs fixing... Can't catch 'em all, it seems!

Originally Posted by El902 View Post
The aesthetic appeal, at a glance, was somehow more than it has been before. Are the pages shorter? It seems like they are . . . I like the change. Easier to scroll on my slow computer, and easier means more enjoyable.
The pages went from vertical to horizontal layout last issue, and I refined that a bit this time. I also used larger fonts then before (13-14 instead of 12) and lighter backgrounds, since some people do read off the screen! Glad you find it easier on the eyes!

Thanks, everybody for your kind words and encouragement! It makes all the hard work worth it to know it's appreciated.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

FYI: if "wholly" had been spelled wrong, we would have kept it that way, since it was in the Overheard on the Beat section. The stuff there is directly quoted from posts, so typos, smileys, etc. are kept for their forum flavor. :wink: However, I did just notice another typo that actually needs fixing... Can't catch 'em all, it seems!
Exactly, I did state that - but I stuffed up anyway, didn't I?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

What I find confusing is the PDF thing. I'm not quite sure what it is; maybe some embedment thing?

Maybe it's my version of PDF reader, although that's the latest; the front page seems to have text on it, is that right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

The Wolfling has asked me to say that she really likes the look of this latest issue. She's been collecting information about her artwork for an upcoming moderation and had forgotten about the images used for WBQ until she received a gentle reminder. So she downloaded this issue and was pleased to see her image still in use, though she would like the opportunity to refine it! (Artists are never satisfied, even with trifles requested by pesky parents.) She particularly liked the way the image was displayed in this issue, moreso than the first time it was used (In Pencil, Issue 19).

The direct links to articles is something that existed in previous issues, I believe, but was lost when the zine was laid out using a different package. Good to see that come back. And the small WBQ logo enabling a quick return to the table of contents is a blinder. So much easier than paging up and down. We both agree that it's great to see the zine taking advantage of its electronic format like this.

So big congrats to HoiLei and the team for turning out another wonderful issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Q Wands For This Useful Post:
HoiLei (02-02-2010)
Old 02-02-2010, 03:39 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

She's been collecting information about her artwork for an upcoming moderation and had forgotten about the images used for WBQ until she received a gentle reminder. So she downloaded this issue and was pleased to see her image still in use, though she would like the opportunity to refine it!
Actually, that's not a bad idea for general use - I'd like to see even more member work in there, not only the top picks and staff articles; perhaps member art could be featured in there. Apart from the Wolfling, I'm sure others like Mike could contribute bits and pieces; only problem would perhaps be relevant images, but that doesn't have to be a necessity, ultimately. I know, we're not an art/photography forum, but it's still good to have as much contribution from the forum itself in the forum's publication, is it not?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Maybe it's my version of PDF reader, although that's the latest; the front page seems to have text on it, is that right?
The front page should have the text "Writer's Beat Quarterly" and "Issue 25, February 2010". The cover artist signed her work along the right side, so it says "Jackie D'Silva, 2009" there. And the covers of all the books have titles and quotes and such as part of the art. Other than that, there should be no words. What do you see?

When I exported to pdf, I chose version 1.4 so it would hold transparencies. I'm rather fond of layering transparencies, as you may have noticed.

I'd like to see even more member work in there, not only the top picks and staff articles; perhaps member art could be featured in there.
I like that idea, too. We have lots of people here who photograph or draw, and would likely appreciate the exposure and credits. It's a good thought for future covers.

Originally Posted by Q Wands View Post
And the small WBQ logo enabling a quick return to the table of contents is a blinder. So much easier than paging up and down. We both agree that it's great to see the zine taking advantage of its electronic format like this.
The clickable Table of Contents was Lin's idea from last time, and it's one of those things that--once done-- seems so obvious I could never go back to doing it otherwise. The WBQ logo is all me.

Thanks for the compliments, Q! And I'm glad the Wolfling likes it, since I know she's got an eye for graphic design.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Lin

It's a shame the format can't have audio so we could hear the lighted lime singing, *"Hello my darling, hello my baby, hello my ragtime gal"
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Here to announce WBQ podcast 1

Well, not yet, but it might be an idea worth discussing

Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

The WBQ logo is all me. :smile:
P'raphs not the best way to put it, Hoi! - read it again, see it what it sounds like.

The front page should have the text "Writer's Beat Quarterly" and "Issue 25, February 2010". The cover artist signed her work along the right side, so it says "Jackie D'Silva, 2009" there. And the covers of all the books have titles and quotes and such as part of the art. Other than that, there should be no words. What do you see?
Assumed it was an image, but in that case it's all fine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-03-2010, 04:19 AM
Chloe (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to Chloe

I just finished reading this issue, and you guys have done a great job! =)

Glad to see the magazine is still going.

(In related news, I'm hoping to maybe hang around here a little bit. I've missed WB.)

Last edited by Chloe; 02-03-2010 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Spelling errors must die.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe For This Useful Post:
HoiLei (02-22-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Welcome back, Chloe! Glad you liked it.
P'raphs not the best way to put it, Hoi! - read it again, see it what it sounds like.
Just read it again, still sounds fine to me. Am I being dense about something? You can tell me...!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Lin

I'm hanging on the reveal for this one, as well.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Issues