WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Changes at Writer's Beat

Old 11-21-2013, 12:26 PM
tony_a20 (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 15

If a wannabe writer doesn’t understand how to use the tools of the trade the best assistance they can be given is a list of references.

Answering grammar questions because someone is too lazy to think or study only perpetuates their ignorance.

It’s enough to point out the types of mistakes they make and leave it to them to make corrections.

Forum members don’t mind helping each other, but we’re not here to teach. We’re here to opine on what members post for comment. It’s up to whomever is posting to make use of the comments received.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690

Answering grammar questions because someone is too lazy to think or study only perpetuates their ignorance.
What?? Or sparks their want to learn even more.

It’s up to whomever is posting to make use of the comments received.
Unless they don't know what to do with it. The new forum section will hopefully rectify that.

We're all here to help and share the knowledge we have, to support one another.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:10 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by tony_a20 View Post
Forum members don’t mind helping each other, but we’re not here to teach. We’re here to opine on what members post for comment. It’s up to whomever is posting to make use of the comments received.
Oh, I'm so glad you came by to tell us what "we're" here to do!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 488

Forum members don’t mind helping each other, but we’re not here to teach.
To learn, there must be some kind of instruction/teaching. This is a writing forum for all levels of experience. Links are good, but we're here to guide and influence also, so throwing a link doesn't really cover what this site is all about.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Redlorry

If a wannabe writer doesnít understand how to use the tools of the trade the best assistance they can be given is a list of references.

Itís enough to point out the types of mistakes they make and leave it to them to make corrections.

Forum members donít mind helping each other, but weíre not here to teach. Weíre here to opine on what members post for comment. Itís up to whomever is posting to make use of the comments received.
Well, from this we'll assume you have no intention of helping and supporting your fellow writers outside of posting your opinion on their work. Good job we didn't make this mandatory!

Advice, help and support comes in many shapes and sizes, and we value it all! But reading a text book or web page only gets you so far. Being able to ask questions and see examples worked into your own writing is an excellent way to demonstrate how things should work, so the learning sticks.

tony_a20, you probably missed all the other threads about what people wanted from WB as you only pop in now and them to share your thoughts with us, but there are a number of members who have asked to see more done to help new writers and improve in their skill.

Obviously some of our members are more willing or capable of providing this than others. The SPaG Workshop is simply providing them with a better platform on which to do this. It's all voluntary, and we're delighted to have already heard from members who want to take part. But we'll always welcome more.

Last edited by Redlorry; 11-22-2013 at 02:41 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ilseum (11-22-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Elisa/win (Offline)
Illusive Drifter
Senior Moderator

Thanks 455

Agree with Lorry and Dev. Please, don't decide what members are here to do. You can only ever speak for yourself.

If self learning is so effective, then there would be no use for schools.

I think a more valid point to make is to explore how we can make this learning effective. And yes, perhaps different people learn differently, and we will do our best to take that into account as well. I believe it was JoeMat who said best learning is through discussions, so we will do our best in implementing this too.

So if you want to make a comment tony_a20, it's alright to disagree with us, we aren't perfect. However it would also be useful for you to give some suggestions on how to make our idea better rather than just saying to give members references. If you really think references are the way to go, then recommend to us how we can help members better access and learn from them.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 856

Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
"Bold prunes?" Are there any other kind? How about a red/black polka-dot? I think I may become a dress critic.

Your ass makes that kilt look fat.
"There are over five hundred and fifty million weapons in world wide circulation. Enough to arm one out of every twelve people on this planet. The question is, how do we arm the other eleven?" Lord of War
Old 11-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 314

I'm gonna ask a RedTruck to run over you, grease monkey.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 856

Never happen..she drives on the wrong side of the road!!!
"There are over five hundred and fifty million weapons in world wide circulation. Enough to arm one out of every twelve people on this planet. The question is, how do we arm the other eleven?" Lord of War
Old 11-24-2013, 04:42 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Hmm. And backwards. Must be a mechanic.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
Never happen..she drives on the wrong side of the road!!!
For you... I can make exceptions.
Franklin (11-24-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 03:09 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 594

I'd love to be a motivational speaker for those who arent confident and comfortable with their writings yet.
Such a pity some writers on here always explain themselves in order for others to understand them.
Stand your ground and write!
Opinions only make you stronger.

SPaG is a definite OCD thing. Not for me.
I'll just need the help.
Franklin (11-25-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

My personal view as to why a SPaG area is needed: When I open any post, I decide after reading a maximum of the first paragraph if I will continue reading. I don't want to be a "spagger." I do want the work to be grammatically correct, indicating a command of the language by the author. I don't want to spend time wading through reams of errors; I want to enjoy reading, and poor writing does not result in a good read. Volunteer "spaggers" can help make a work acceptable in terms of readability, but cannot overcome the lack of comprehension of tenth-grade English. Writing is hard work, and good writing is impossible without the basic tools of Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar. Creative writing, as with any art form or study, cannot be taught; the teacher can only show the path to learning. Showing the path is also hard work. The kicker is that after someone donates time to highlight every error and make suggestions, the author often does not even read the editing. It comes down to this for me: If you want to learn, you must be willing to work at it. Teachers cannot split open your skull and pour in the knowledge, though I'm sure many would like to do the splitting open part.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franklin For This Useful Post:
ceilidh (12-01-2013), NokturnalMe (12-01-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 AM
tahdas

I want to be a SPaG ninja! To bad my own SPaG is sub-par. I think i could be a SPaG in training though.

Also shouldn't the color be black if it's a ninja? Personally i think samurais are more likely to be authority's on SPaG than ninjas. I think you should call the head SPaG "Sensei SPaG" and the seniors "SPaG Samurai" and regular "SPaG Ninjas".

Last edited by tahdas; 12-01-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 PM
risk10 (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 277

Totally agree with you, Franklin. I would not like to try and teach SPaG to anyone, and my hat is off to those who can and do. I generally punctuate 'from the gut'. If, when I read it aloud, it sounds off, then it is likely there is a grammar/punctuation error. But this is coming from a part of my brain that tells me "hey, something's wrong", rather than because of a set of rules I have learned in text books and such.

Best of luck to those SPaG ninjas. It is more than likely I will need a lesson or two myself

Last edited by risk10; 12-04-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Old 12-05-2013, 04:17 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I'm skeptical, but it might work, because presumably, the people that post there will recognize they need help and want to learn. Like I said, marking up a story line-by-line is usually a thankless task and unfortunately you get a lot of the blind leading the blind. It should work better if the "ninjas" actually know what they're doing.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:38 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Well spag corrections were my very first review here from Winterbite.

I still remember learning a ton from it !

Others can still comment on content correct?

This seems win-win. IMO
Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 AM
KBR (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius

Thanks 636

I think it's a great idea. When I try my hand at fiction again, I'll need to run it past the Spag. But it's not an idea that will resonate in poetry as much. But poetry needs help as well. I think that iDrew and a handful of other great poetry critics could help out in Smaug. In Smaug, the poem has to be refined in fire created by some of our hottest dragon bellow flame throwers. But only those who are really willing to listen and take heed must cross the threshold into the forge. But for those who do, poems will be heated and beaten on anvils of dwarf manufacture until the folded steel of words with enchantments laid on will be returned to future kings and queens of the fair land of Poetry. Shall we ruminate upon that thought? Or shall we dash it upon the rocks and watch the waves carry away all in their eternal crash and thunder? And please do not equate command of the language with grammar. Words present themselves in my court, and I command them as I will without a thought to their organization or formal composition. I agree that bad grammar is poorly written. But in the hands of a master, grammar is subservient to the cause. If you would wield words powerfully, then, you must understand when where and how to break from the formal presentation of the written word in order to move out to the unbounded freedom of thoughtful rule bending.

Last edited by KBR; 12-07-2013 at 06:22 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to KBR For This Useful Post:
Franklin (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Bravo! The truth emerges even from your usual voluminous verbiage. Not an attack, by the way. I'm sometimes just as lengthy in my attempts, and too concise at other times. Poetry creation is the toughest mental task I have ever undertaken, more so even than short stories or a novel.
KBR (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 01:01 PM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

If a wannabe writer doesnít understand how to use the tools of the trade the best assistance they can be given is a list of references.

Itís enough to point out the types of mistakes they make and leave it to them to make corrections.

Forum members donít mind helping each other, but weíre not here to teach. Weíre here to opine on what members post for comment. Itís up to whomever is posting to make use of the comments received.
Tony,

Booooooo. You certainly don't have to answer any questions, but some writers like to help others and share valuable knowledge, and aren't too lazy to teach. To some it brings joy, and I personally love that, because many have done it for me, and it encourages me to give back. So, sorry for the gang-up factor, but you might edit your post to "I'm not here to teach" rather than "Forum members aren't here to teach"...then see how many constructive crits you receive. It's all give and take, here, methinks...

src="images/smilies/coffee.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cocoa" class="inlineimg" />
The Following User Says Thank You to singphantom7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I wouldn't worry about Tony. I think you can safely ignore anyone who uses the word "opine."

Last edited by JoeMatt; 12-08-2013 at 06:48 AM..
Old 12-15-2013, 07:28 AM
maidahl

opine
Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 594

Quickie: I've reached > 1500 posts yet I have not changed to the said Grizzled Veteran

Is that ranking outdated?
Or am I being robbed of being a grizzly?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Redlorry

Um ... do you want to be Grizzled? I don't recall having seen that ranking for some time. Let me have a look-see.
NokturnalMe (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 11:45 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 594

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
Um ... do you want to be Grizzled? I don't recall having seen that ranking for some time. Let me have a look-see.
Hah! Redlorry now you're questioning the Grizzled.
I don't mind remaining a staggering genius but come on.
I cannot help it if I remember FAQ's. Been here for long to forget.

I think you need a good coffee and erotica book to start your day.
Marques De Sade?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 PM
maidahl

opine

opine  
Use Opine in a sentence
o∑pine [oh-pahyn] Show IPA
verb (used with object), verb (used without object), o∑pined, o∑pin∑ing.
to hold or express an opinion.
Origin:
1575–85; < Latin opīnārī to think, deem

Related forms
un∑o∑pined, adjective

Can be confused: opine, opinion.

Synonyms
say, suggest, allow, guess, imagine.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Writer_In_Red (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Location: Louisiana, but as a writer my mind is all but here.
Thanks 14

Sounds like an outstanding idea! I would greatly appreciate such an area dedicated to helping those in need of SPaG lessons! (Me being one of those people who needs the help!)
"In this life or the next, it does not matter. Our story will still be told, our voices will still be heard, our songs will still be sung. For we are the writers of this world. The teller of stories, the bringers of truth, and the power of imagination."
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer_In_Red For This Useful Post:
Whiskers (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 AM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 594

I actually like the fact that the moderators are more visible or should I say more frequent at participating in threads as opposed to the prior years.
Good to have their opinions expressed, and read their works.

To the (hermit) Mods: stop hiding, and show yourselves more often, sure you can't be that scary looking.
Or you perhaps you prefer to remain incognito to scare the daylights out of somebody in a thread.

P.S. I must be honest, Mohican's avatar does look rather intimidating.
Swear his some old wizard appearing with his magic wand or something.
Kids, don't mess with him.
Whiskers (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 AM
maidahl

opine
Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 AM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 594

Originally Posted by maidahl View Post
opine