WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

The Intellectual Table will be closed Starting Sunday, June 29, 2014

Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653
Default The Intellectual Table will be closed Starting Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Intellectual Table will be closed Starting Sunday, June 29, 2014

After internal deliberation and consideration by the Writers Beat Staff, the decision has been made to close The Intellectual Table. This decision was driven by several factors, with the primary factor being an inability of a few people to discuss controversial items without personal attacks. The vast majority of complaints and reported posts have come from within the Intellectual’s Table.

Another key consideration is that Writer’s Beat is first and foremost a forum dedicated to the development of writing. With so much of the forum “traffic” ending up in The Intellectual Table, actual writing, and the critiquing of writing has been given short shrift. With writing as our focus, there have been some recent policy changes, and will be changes in the near future aimed at increasing participation.

We (the Writers Beat Staff) realize that there is much valid discussion that goes on in The Intellectual Table, and that occasionally becomes the seed for a writing project. We will consider re-opening The Intellectual’s Table at some point in the future.

The staff would like to thank the members of Writers Beat for their patience in this matter and look forward to a Summer 2014 of great writing!

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Whiskers (06-26-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

If you can't do without your intellectual table fix, then with the WB staff's blessing, I've set up a temporary refugee camp here:-

http://w11.zetaboards.com/Intellectualtable/index/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
Mohican (06-29-2014), odliam (08-28-2014), Tau (06-28-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Bad move. Taking away the part of the site that attracts most users won't force them to participate elsewhere, it'll just force them to go elsewhere. I left WF because it got too regulated and over-moderated.
AnyaKimlun (06-29-2014), Franklin (06-30-2014), rockman (06-30-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Bad move. Taking away the part of the site that attracts most users won't force them to participate elsewhere, it'll just force them to go elsewhere. I left WF because it got too regulated and over-moderated.
I have seen this work for or against forums. It is partly up to the staff to make the thing go, but the members need to be onboard or it won't work.

Believe me, I do appreciate everyone's concern.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:49 AM
Redlorry

Let's not open another debate.

The staff accept and realise that perhaps we could have handled the matter differently - however, we had not experienced a situation with this level of severity, or potential implications before, and this was a learning curve.

We recognise and understand many members are unhappy with the action.

That said, the reasons for closing the IT have not changed. And, as already explained in the now closed IT thread, it was lose one board or potentially a whole forum. We did what we believed was right.

What would now be really nice, is if members could move past this and support the staff in making the best of Writer's Beat as it now stands.

If, because we've lost the IT you feel we're not the right forum for you anymore, it's been fun and we're sorry to see you go, but do what you have to.

For those of you who stay, thank you for your continued support. We've still got a great forum, and lots of members who want to develop and improve their writing and critiquing skills, which is what Writer's Beat has always been about.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Bagit (06-30-2014), donnaf (07-01-2014), Rei (06-30-2014), Whiskers (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Marvelous Mr. M (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Well, and I mean no offense in this, but this really is a writing forum. Though there are rather good debates, like in my homosexuality one, it really takes away from the overall purpose, for we were busy debating instead of writing and critiquing. If you wished to debate on subjects, I'm certain there are plenty of forums made for that purpose.

And if users leave just because the debate forum closed, then that shows they would just have come here for debate, not for writing or critiquing. So if they leave, then we're left with those who actually want to write and critique. And then the only one's joining the site would just be writers, instead of debaters, bettering the site rather than hurting it.

Also, I wouldn't say the staff are over-moderating or regulating at all. They're closing down one of many topics because they unanimously believed it to be taking away from the sites purpose.
Bagit (06-30-2014), Ilseum (06-30-2014), Rei (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 699

Originally Posted by Marvelous Mr. M View Post
Well, and I mean no offense in this, but this really is a writing forum. Though there are rather good debates, like in my homosexuality one, it really takes away from the overall purpose, for we were busy debating instead of writing and critiquing. If you wished to debate on subjects, I'm certain there are plenty of forums made for that purpose.
'Let's not open another debate.'
Nacia (07-02-2014), Rei (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 AM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

. . . it (debate) really takes away from the overall purpose, for we were busy debating instead of writing and critiquing. If you wished to debate on subjects, I'm certain there are plenty of forums made for that purpose.

And if users leave just because the debate forum closed, then that shows they would just have come here for debate, not for writing or critiquing.
can someone explain why it has to be either-or? is it not possible to participate in both writing and debate? i doubt that writing boards are highly affected by the presence or absence of an I.T. board-- maybe a little, but there is only so much writing and/or critique to go around at any given time. i think the overall effect of killing debate on this site will simply be less time spent on-site per member, on average, and not some sudden surge in writing participation.

but . . . you're right. let's not open another debate. this horse has been flogged enough.

Last edited by rockman; 06-30-2014 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: z
Old 07-01-2014, 05:46 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Well, and I mean no offense in this, but this really is a writing forum. Though there are rather good debates, like in my homosexuality one, it really takes away from the overall purpose, for we were busy debating instead of writing and critiquing.
Not wanting to make an issue of this, and this may well be my last visit, but I've seen more eloquence in debate than I have in 90% of fiction posted here.

The 'overall purpose' is writing - whether that be fiction, non-fiction or debate; part of the process is bouncing ideas off people, forming cogent arguments and developing ideas. It's not all about once-upon-a-time.
Franklin (07-01-2014), Nacia (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 314

Not wanting to make an issue of this, and this may well be my last visit, but I've seen more eloquence in debate than I have in 90% of fiction posted here.

The 'overall purpose' is writing - whether that be fiction, non-fiction or debate; part of the process is bouncing ideas off people, forming cogent arguments and developing ideas. It's not all about once-upon-a-time.

Basically the same opinion I posted a couple of days ago, now disappeared.

Last edited by Whiskers; 07-01-2014 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: No carrying on the debate from another thread, please.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 75

I find it amusing that a moderator says, "Let's not open another debate" and then someone continues the debate and because they agree with him, members of staff "like" what he has to say. Seems just a tad hypocritical, doesn't it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E. Zamora For This Useful Post:
Franklin (07-01-2014), rockman (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Originally Posted by rockman View Post
can someone explain why it has to be either-or? is it not possible to participate in both writing and debate? i doubt that writing boards are highly affected by the presence or absence of an I.T. board-- maybe a little, but there is only so much writing and/or critique to go around at any given time. i think the overall effect of killing debate on this site will simply be less time spent on-site per member, on average, and not some sudden surge in writing participation.

but . . . you're right. let's not open another debate. this horse has been flogged enough.
This is continuing the debate.

This is making an issue of it.

Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Basically the same opinion I posted a couple of days ago, now disappeared. Here's the answer:
This is carrying the argument over from another thread.

Move on from this topic, gentlemen and ladies. The IT thread is closed, and space has been given for Non-S to advertise his political board. That is all this thread is for.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).

Last edited by Whiskers; 07-01-2014 at 11:04 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Whiskers For This Useful Post:
Rei (07-01-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:28 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

do you think the IT forum could be replaced by something else??
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 07-02-2014, 05:31 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
If you can't do without your intellectual table fix, then with the WB staff's blessing, I've set up a temporary refugee camp here:-

http://w11.zetaboards.com/Intellectualtable/index/
Non Serviam I have joined your forum but you have not received nor acknowledged my application?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Username nacia registered 28th June, account approved that same day. Try to log in, it should work.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
Username nacia registered 28th June, account approved that same day. Try to log in, it should work.
thank you Serviam.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
do you think the IT forum could be replaced by something else??
I think only time will tell on that score, Nacia. There are no plans at the moment, but that's just at the moment.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 07-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

I do hope the admin had the foresight to electronically record all the IT forum posts for future posterity.

Centuries from now, or maybe just decades, when this planet is nothing more than a decimated wasteland, galaxy travelers can tune in to our little slice of life in the cosmos and get a first class view of the beings that once inhabited this previously lush and diverse landscape.

It would go a long way to explaining the how and why we managed to turn the garden into an uninhabitable dust bowl. Or as some might call it, a hell on earth. We can do it.

As for any future plans to replace the IT forum with something comparable I heard a rumor that they might install a sno-cone machine in lieu of those all important philosophical musings we so diligently offered up for our viewing pleasure. It would certainly serve a higher purpose than the one it had.

BTW did we ever decide if there was really a God? I forgot.

This place always reminded me of that old joke about the two astronauts in space. One of them tells the other one he's going outside for a short walk. Ten minutes later he returns and knocks on the window. The other one replies, "who's there?"

Last edited by Gaines; 07-03-2014 at 09:01 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaines For This Useful Post:
Alien (08-06-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

BTW did we ever decide if there was really a God? I forgot
no one decided
we were told
and because of that
we are hold not
to each they foretold
god is a story not a worry
folklore sorry
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
I think only time will tell on that score, Nacia. There are no plans at the moment, but that's just at the moment.
here is an idea by the by
to open it to something like ''serious debate/discussion'' similar you would only allow those with behaviour.
those who don't wont be admitted.
they can read that is all they can do.
I think this would be the right thing to do.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

I found irony in the name of the forum. The lack of respect for each other from some just didn't sit well with being intellectual. Debate is never personal attacks. Hopefully something more pleasant will evolve from IT, once people lose something they enjoy they are more inclined to compromise and appreciate the opportunity if and when it returns. We can love each other while not agreeing on our most personal beliefs.
donnaf (07-03-2014), FutureFootball (07-04-2014), Rei (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
I found irony in the name of the forum. The lack of respect for each other from some just didn't sit well with being intellectual. Debate is never personal attacks. Hopefully something more pleasant will evolve from IT, once people lose something they enjoy they are more inclined to compromise and appreciate the opportunity if and when it returns. We can love each other while not agreeing on our most personal beliefs.

Thank goodness for that bit of info otherwise the history of mankind would be written in blood.

"Man is the most savage of God's creatures..."
Old 07-03-2014, 02:41 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

All of this could have been avoided if everyone had just ended each post with, "Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree!" -- and then a smiling emoticon.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
FutureFootball (07-04-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM
CandraH

Aw Joe, ya big cuddly teddy bear, haha.

Good to see you back! I'm not sure I'll be back much, with nothing in the way of writing or decent crits to contribute. I just couldnt let that avatar go by uncommented on .
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
JoeMatt (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 03:28 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Heh. I've got a story or two I'm going to post at some point. A read from you is always appreciated, if you happen to stop by.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 07-03-2014 at 03:37 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Whiskers (07-03-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 05:46 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

with nothing in the way of writing
What!? There must be a few stories to be told through the visuals of your art, Candra. Lay one on us!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 AM
FutureFootball (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 44

In my opinion it was wise decision. Whenever someone disagreed with a point, in some cases, they got ganged on.

And I think some comments made in that section were out of order.
The Following User Says Thank You to FutureFootball For This Useful Post:
Pandora (07-08-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 09:12 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

What order would you have put them in?

And another thing -- if more than one person disagrees with you, that doesn't automatically mean people are ganging up on you. Seems like some people have hard time making that distinction.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 07-05-2014 at 09:13 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Mike C (07-07-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
Thank goodness for that bit of info otherwise the history of mankind would be written in blood.

"Man is the most savage of God's creatures..."
Maybe time to give woman a chance Kidding aside I disagree, kinder gentler people abound, always throughout history, they only need the right platform and an open ear. I have high hopes.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

The gang up thing feels like that when one is listening, watching, reading other's post, uninvolved in the discussion, as I often have been. There can be multiple posters disagreeing with one individual, add the thanks button that goes on between those agreeing and perhaps it feels to the unpopular view incredibly outnumbered and intimidated. Intimidation really shouldn't be apart of debate either whether deliberate or otherwise. I've always thought debate to be facts, facts, facts sprinkled with very little opinion, perhaps more a view.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board