WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Prompts & Challenges

Prompts & Challenges Prompts, readings, and ideas to get you writing.

Ready, set, WRITE!

Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30
Default Ready, set, WRITE!

This challenge has been canceled due to the besieging forces that plague this region. Unfortunately I do not feel comfortable divulging the point of sanctuary here, but I may on occasion dare to venture forth into enemy territory to see if any still worthy are trapped behind enemy lines in which the creativity drainers dwell. If you are unfortunate enough to be in this lawless sector of our galaxy I urge you to get out while your creativity is still alive. I know the Reflex is to fight, but sometimes fleeing is more productive. May you be victorious in your creative undertakings and defeat the ill-informed with popular works they will attempt to destroy with words to no evail! Long live creativity!

PM me when dawn breaks.

Last edited by Motley Crew; 10-25-2015 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: To add example of goal.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:16 AM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121
Send a message via Skype™ to pswgear

Did you mean over-exaggerate?

Also, any cap on word total?

Thanks for the opportunity!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

Yes I did mean over-exaggerate. I still have difficulty with that word without spell-check. I don't know much about word-counts. But about 1-2 pages in size 24 font Arial. And since someone has responded before I had a chance to edit the above challenge I'll explain the nudity thing in more detail. Each species just like each country on Earth would have their own social rules for what can and cannot be exposed in what contexts. But the point of the "non-sexual" means that the nudity is not the primary function of the character. The character simply has a different understanding than humans. Not is being deliberately provocative. Now that that's settled we'll see what comes of this. I'll check periodically on this thread. While editing other works that need it. Enjoy!

Professor Ensign Luon Carlson.

PM me when dawn breaks.

Last edited by Motley Crew; 08-28-2015 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: The loish phone didn't put in the skip-line it was supposed to!(example of alien sentence with curse) and I had to fix the U
Old 08-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690

size 24 font
That's ginormous!!

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

Roughly 2000 words max. I figured out how to do a wordcount.

Yea!

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690

In:
size 24 font
though?

Twisty mind candy:

Old 08-26-2015, 01:59 PM
Jolly (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 38

I've got the first chapter of a story - or does it have to be a short story - 2000 words max.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:12 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hey Jolly.

I guess the difference would be if the short story can stand alone. And the chapter would be open ended creating the need to read on.

Have a nice writing day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690

Why is no one commenting on the font size?? LOL! (I'm just pulling your leg.)

Twisty mind candy:

Old 08-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 488

The norm for font size is 12, isn't it? 24 is huge.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:27 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

Size 24 on my computer is easily legible. Devon, that's your answe. Bagit, size 10 is the default on my computer. To answer that question. Jolly, to answer your question these are the only criteria; it be set on a planet that is not Earth. It be written in novel format without major edits needed to convert it to screenplay format. It be open ended allowing it to be incorporated into a larger work in progress. And the author of said submission must be willing to work on said larger collaborative effort. Hope this answers all questions.

Ex-Cre'Bo'La Shay'Ta'Pok.

PS
Yes your character will be associating with me if your story is accepted.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:47 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690

Size 24 on my computer is easily legible
But it's so huge! Like this.

Wow!
(Glad to see you're getting bites on this, though, Motley! ) Ach! Too small!

Twisty mind candy:

Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

Taking an educated guess, Devon, the sizes you used are 36 on my computer "this" and 72 on my computer "Wow" to answer your question. Looking forward to when those bites turn into intro-stories!

Lieutenant Commander Sibek.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:01 AM
Jolly (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 38

Ooh, I'll have to think a tad. Hard to hand over my guy - even though the poor slob's been stuck in chapter one for about 7 years.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690

Taking an educated guess, Devon, the sizes you used are 36 on my computer "this" and 72 on my computer
Actually, they're both size "7" here in the forum. I was just giving an example.

Still think 24 is huge, though.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 08-28-2015, 04:48 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

You would not be relinquishing executive or creative control over your character(s). Simply adding your name to the list of associated authors of this larger work. If this is acceptable go ahead and post. Worst thing that can happen is I tell you it doesn't fit well in the larger fiction and to try it elsewhere. Hope this helps.

Lieutenant Commander Sibek. SS Intrepid.

PS

Yes I am another character from this larger work.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Marc Haertjens (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26
Icon10

Originally Posted by Motley Crew View Post
Please create an outcast of an alien society that over-exadurates a corrupt aspect of Terran life in any country.
Without foul language and sex? That's not a challenge, that's impossible!

ďItís the artistís responsibility to balance mystical communication and the labor of creation.Ē Patti Smith, Just Kids
Old 08-31-2015, 05:02 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

Originally Posted by Marc Haertjens View Post
Without foul language and sex? That's not a challenge, that's impossible!
And yet, MISSION; IMPOSSIBLE! Achieved that as well as many other successful PG rated TV series which is one of the two ways this collaborative story will be publicized.

So. Your mission writers (should you decide to accept it. Is to write an intro to a character of strong moral standing persecuted for seeing the truth! In a sci-fi alien planet setting with no foul language and no sex. (Different ideas about what defines modesty not withstanding). As usual should you or any of your characters become captured or killed the editor will disavow any knowledge of your writing. Good luck, All.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30
Default Of the Mighty By the Mighty and For the Mighty

Lost in a fog of insults and criticism his pen stained with the blood of countless critics he was weary of the fight. He knew there had only been three critics he'd slain with his pen, but unlike a sword the victims of the pen are never truly dead, and no matter how many times they are killed they shall come back to haunt you. And now here he was on a shuttle flying through the stars, no idea where he'd end up, virtually out of control on a ship five centuries more advanced than what he was used to, but satisfied. Satisfied that no matter how alien, advanced or freightening his new associates may be. That one consultation was only optimists can survive the stars on the faith that critics lack!

PM me when dawn breaks.

Last edited by Motley Crew; 10-25-2015 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: To give better example and explanation.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:44 PM
DB38 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

What about hell, damn, s*it... do you consider that foul language?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

In short 'yes'. There are a few characters in a different series I write for in the same universe who do use the first two words you reference and I use ____ where the curses would go. In the context those writing for this prompt/challenge would be in it doesn't matter because curses are made up alien curses that differ on every planet like loish meaning ___ the second word you mentioned in your inquiry post. In one language. Aside from your questions DB38 other questions I can predict may come up is in my example entry, why was the pager beeping and why did the man dematerialize? The continuous beeping was because he received a continuous transmission through it that many space-fairing races will go to nearly any means to get. And he was transported either by kidnapping thieves after his transmission or by Cantor's ship which is protecting the recipients of such in his sector. (I write for the crew of that ship). Hope this answers your questions.

Motley Crew

PM me when dawn breaks.

Last edited by Motley Crew; 09-15-2015 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Applying varnish.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Prompts & Challenges