WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

contact the author: a good idea?

Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 AM
nomadreid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default contact the author: a good idea?

In Smashwords, where I hope to publish my first book, it is suggested that one lets the reader know how they can link up with the author via a Facebook page. I do not expect my book to be anywhere near a best seller (I'm not looking to make a profit), but since I will not know anything about these people, I do not know whether I would want them intruding into my facebook page, which is relatively personal. It might make sense to set up a new facebook page especially for this purpose, but if I give my email address to Facebook, it will identify me as already having an account. Ditto for my LinkedIn account, and I do not want a Twitter account. (Yes, I know I'm prehistoric.) I could give my email address, but I do not know if this would simply be inviting more spam. Or should I just skip having contact with my readers (if any). Any advice about this?

Old 07-29-2016, 07:00 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

nomadreid.

When I first began writing so long ago I used to hide. Then a play I wrote was produced and I had to stand in front of the audience and defend it. After that experience, I decided to never hide again. I'm glad I did because every one of my writing projects is better when I get feedback. As I've aged I realized that the hard work is in the writing and that no matter what I do there will be people who want to piss on it. /// You may find that coming out of the shadows presents a new freedom. /// And more spam is the price I pay to be free. I'd suggest you be bold and have faith in your work and let readers talk to you. Good luck to you. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
nomadreid (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:43 PM
nomadreid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

Thanks, wrc. Taking your advice, I will give my email address, and let my spam filter deal with any increase in spam.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:30 PM
collegedropout (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

IIRC....Facebook won't let you (or anyone) have more than one account. If you can have multiple accounts, get another email address. Problem solved.

In a way, I struggle with this myself. As much as I would LOVE to shitcan my FB account....ALL my friends (many of them high school classmates) are on Facebook.The struggle comes in where I have been talking about politics and borderline if not conpiracy theory for years. Even if I wanted to....it would take days for me to rip all those posts out (and I'm proably being kind).... If I did...I feel that alI would be betraying myself (and even worse-- in the quest to make a buck)....

At the risk of being wrong....I'm going to have to throw caution to rhe wind on this....it's not like I have much of a choice.....especially in the 21st Century......

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice