WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

How does this book series idea sound?

Old 09-16-2016, 03:20 AM
ShadowGaiden (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default How does this book series idea sound?

Around 1994-1996, some guy came up with a theory: History's greatest people would start being reincarnated around the turn of the millennium, and while they wouldn't originally remember their past lives, they might have fears/interests based on what happened to them in their first life. When they are almost through puberty, their minds are developed enough for things similar to significant events in their past life to trigger memories, and with enough events, they will fully remember their old life and sort of "become" their old self (as in, thinking of the present as the future and their old life as normal). Also: the person's race, sex, and body type is the same as in their original life.

He published a book on it, but eventually realized he was "insane" and admitted himself to a mental institution.

The first few books would be dedicated to one person each, focusing on their current life and their journey to their self-discovery. Here are a few ideas I got:

Benjamin Franklin is a 17-year-old who is a notorious internet troll. He's in Honors English, yet is hated by everyone in his classes due to arguing with them about their SJW beliefs. He first starts to remember his past life when he accidentally gets a small shock during a mishap in his electrical engineering class.

Isaac Newton starts to remember his past life shortly before graduating high school when someone throws an apple at the back of his head.

William Shakespeare is also in Honors English (possibly in a private school), but unlike Franklin is actually the most-liked student there. He's very quiet and reserved but very nice, and doesn't like pop culture. I don't know what events will make him remember his past life, but I do know that once he fully remembers he will become depressed because everyone he knew back then is now dead. I'd make him bisexual because I'm pretty sure that's what he was IRL.

Eventually, there would be books focusing on interactions between already-introduced characters as well as more books on new characters. I think I should do it in a way so that the reader doesn't know who they are and have to guess until the character realizes who they are.

That's what I thought of so far.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:47 AM
Zelbacon (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 34

I like the idea, it could be very interesting if done correctly. You would have to do a lot of research for everyone if you want to be able to mimic their past life in their current life. That isn't a problem at all, just something to be prepared for.
I do like the idea of having the reader guess who the story is about, but I am slightly curious as to how you would do this. If they are in school, you will have other people using their names, which will give away that mystery. You could use nicknames, but not all teachers will do that. But it is an interesting idea.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:49 AM
ShadowGaiden (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Zelbacon View Post
I do like the idea of having the reader guess who the story is about, but I am slightly curious as to how you would do this. If they are in school, you will have other people using their names, which will give away that mystery. You could use nicknames, but not all teachers will do that.
They would have a different name. Their parents don't know they're reincarnated; the kids themselves don't find out until they're around 16-17 years old.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:21 AM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

An very interesting concept. How much of the previous life would people try to go back to, considering the new childhood and family- (nature vs nurture). Your two examples are considered to be "good" people. Would this also happen to more controversial or evil people like Nero, Attila the Hun, Josef Mengele, Jim Jones, Vlad the Impaler. Could a counterpart also regain their memories in order to stop the evil from affecting the world again. Good luck and have fn writing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 AM
EricRomm (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I'm more interested to know what Hitler would be reincarnated as.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 AM
YvonJan (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

This is really cool, as long as you do the historical research. Don't make it something like Bill and Ted's Amazing Adventure. But generally, the idea sounds great. So what's the ultimate point/climax of the story?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues