WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Straying from your piece

Old 09-27-2016, 01:58 PM
tremor (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Straying from your piece

I'm sure everyone here has that one piece of work that we're tirelessly toiling on- working on day in and day out.

I've been the same. For the last year I've been working on the same body of work, with very little pause and distraction.
Unfortunately, some new ideas have popped into my mind that has stirred my creative mind.
My question is- is it a good thing to stray away from your current body of work to chase a new idea that came to mind, or should the new idea be pushed away to focus on your current work?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S4 Using Tapatalk

"If I knew then what I know now, I'd stay six years old." -"Thrones" by Alexisonfire
Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

I work on multiple pieces at the same time. Right now I am writing half a dozen short stories and two different novels. When one dries up I jump to the next.

This may not answer your question.

When I finished my first novel I wrote a flurry of shorts and started the two novels I'm now working on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
tremor (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi tremor.

I agree with brianpatrich as I also work on many projects at the same time. The only thing I'd add is that if an idea survives more than a day I always stop and write it down. This puts it in a file instead of my mind, confusing me.

I'm a conscious writer so I do a lot of planning for my major projects. If I get an idea for it, and it keeps popping up in my thinking I add it to the plan with a big question mark. And when I get to that part in writing the rough draft, I deal with it then. After many projects I realized that few of them pan out. But a few have enhanced the work.

I have a love/hate relationship with my mind. I know that if I don't stick to the grind the work will never get finished. And when I start redesigning the plan with new ideas, I take a nap, watch a movie, make love, to give my mind something else to think about. Then, with a clearer mind, I go back to the grind and continue on.

Hope that's helpful to you. Keep writing. wrc

Originally Posted by tremor View Post
I'm sure everyone here has that one piece of work that we're tirelessly toiling on- working on day in and day out.

I've been the same. For the last year I've been working on the same body of work, with very little pause and distraction.
Unfortunately, some new ideas have popped into my mind that has stirred my creative mind.
My question is- is it a good thing to stray away from your current body of work to chase a new idea that came to mind, or should the new idea be pushed away to focus on your current work?

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
tremor (09-28-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 09:07 AM
neuliest (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

I fully support allowing your mind to wander from one project to the next. Short stories and personal narratives are a satisfying outlet for writers working on larger pieces. You may find (down the road) that some of your smaller creative pieces fit into your novel. Be grateful to have so many ideas flowing. Beats the dreaded alternative… writer's block!
Cheers!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Jacobs (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by tremor View Post

I'm of the opinion that it's better not to get distracted by new ideas (store them) and to finish work. Finishing is a skill in itself.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice