WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry

Poetry Sit down or take a stand in this poetry section.

A Reoccurrence

Old 11-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Myers (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 147
Default A Reoccurrence

My lover cried when she told me all the bees were dying.

Often, I find her kneeling in the darkened vestibule,
wearing only a shawl embroidered with the troubles of the world

while moths of sorrow circle her ashen shoulders. Even in our ecstasy,
she weeps like the mother of a lost child. Now her garden is choked

with ivy, her figurines in pieces on the cracked terrazzo;
her whispered pleas an incessant buzz like flies

against a window pane. Addicted to the elixir of her infuriating sadness,
once again, I will open the door and she will collapse in my arms like an imploding tower.

Did I tell you my lover cried when she told me all the bees were dying?

Old 12-03-2016, 07:27 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 21

Seems to be from the perspective of Joseph. A vestibule while a typical architectural feature is today primarily reserved for religious establishments. The shawl of trouble and the sorrow moths seems an inversion of the Madonna's gloriole. The lost child may be the Christ. Her garden Gethsemane.

I'm not sure what terrazzo might reference, it doesn't seem to have any historical meaning, though its cracked nature suggests ruin, concomitant with the dying of the bees, hence the dying of the world.

Her figurines suggests the pieta, implying this scene takes place outside the material universe. Dressed in rhinestone sitting on a pedestal aye. Flies, which her pleas are reminiscent of, also suggest rot. Flies are omnivorous, if the bees are dying the plants are dying too, and they'll eat both.

Now her knowledge that the bees are dying suggests someone either a scientist, someone attuned to the happenings in science, or else an other worldly observer.

A complication of this theory is the enclosed space in which the subject is in. It is reminiscent of a confessional but what needs would there be to confess? and to who? Not to the narrator. Thus confessional can be discarded but not the enclosed space.

Nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Well when everyone is dying the pleas would be incessant.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Myers (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 147

Hey, thanks, bluewpc. I enjoyed reading that.

I like I said in another thread, interpretation can be a personal and individual thing, based on your experience and unique point of reference. I probably learned something from your interpretation, and in perhaps some ways that are less literal, I think you were on to something.

Most of my poetry, such as it is, is based on personal experience. Depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I ramp up the imagery and language to different degrees for effect. This is really just about codependency.

I once had a girlfriend who was overly emotional, to put it mildly. She took the all the problems of the world to heart, almost to the point of obsession.

But I just couldn't break it off with her, because at the time, I was more or less addicted to all the drama.

But I did want the poem to capture a feeling of deterioration, her desperation and my resignation and the kind of self-doubt or even self-loathing that comes from the inability to just end an unhealthy relationship. The feeling that you're just making the same mistake over and over again.

The bee thing didn't happen, but it's just the kind of thing that would get her worked up into a tizzy, just from reading an article etc. It's also metaphor for reading catastrophe into everything.

I might have gone overboard with it, but that's really all it's about.

Cheers, and thanks for the read and comments.

Last edited by Myers; 12-04-2016 at 11:14 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry