WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Age of consent.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:08 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 364

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
Should it be possible for a man to be a feminist without attracting women's hostility?
It is as possible for a man to be a feminist as it is for a woman to be a male chauvinist.

Each refers to a viewpoint, and while a man may be sympathetic to and support feminism, he's Dolezaling himself if he calls himself one.

Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:20 AM
Binx B

Hardly. I wouldn't call myself a feminist, but if a man insists on it, it's not like it's something genetic and he's lying about it. It could be that he's doing it to ingratiate himself or otherwise score points, but I wouldn't automatically make that assumption.

Last edited by Binx B; 04-27-2016 at 02:58 AM..
Old 04-27-2016, 06:58 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Binx B View Post
Uh, so men shouldn't be part of the conversation? That seems kind of counterproductive.
Not at all. Maybe I worded it badly. What I was talking about are the male attitudes towards women where they think they have a say in women's prospects in life, or that they know better than women what women capable of etc.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Speaking of the age of consent, I've decided that I don't consent to any more ageing.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
Bagit (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 364

Not only that, but I forbid my children from having any more birthdays, as every time they have one, I get a year older.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 04-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 364

Hardly. I wouldn't call myself a feminist, but if a man insists on it, it's not like it's something genetic and he's lying about it. It could be that he's doing it to ingratiate himself or otherwise score points, but I wouldn't automatically make that assumption.
As any man who has spent any time around women knows, when a bunch of women are united for a cause, the last thing they want to hear is some man standing up trying to speak for them. Getting their point across is something they do quite well on their own, thank you.

I may be wrong, but if I were a feminist (as in a woman fighting for what she feels she should have), I'd be a little put out at some confused fucker thinking he's going to 'help out' by showing me how a man would do it.

And if that's not what he's doing, what is he doing? If he's only there for support, why claim to be one of them? Women aren't a football team (Yay! I'm a Raider!) Feminism's their gig, supporting them in what they believe in is ours (unless they believe we should call ourselves 'feminists').
Old 04-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Binx B

Did I say anything about men speaking for women or showing them how to do anything?

Nope.

And if a man is supportive of women's rights and he wants to call himself a feminist, what's the big problem?

Surely you're not presuming to speak for women or feminists are you? We're not supposed to do that, remember?

Last edited by Binx B; 04-27-2016 at 03:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
wyf (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:36 PM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

A man can be a feminist without being a sycophant or interfering.

Support and acknowledgement are all that's needed.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 PM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

I'm pretty aware of the ways that women have yet to achieve equality and that it's still mostly men who call the shots. But "superficial" seem like a bit of an overstatement. Women are regularly doing things they never dreamed of doing in the '60's. And I think the women who really went out on a limb and fought for women's rights would probably take exception to that.
Again Binx I have to mostly agree with you, but I think the women who fought fr our rights in the 60s would be horrified that (yes, we have made advances) the job isn't done yet, 50 years later.

And all the time mouthpieces like Trump can presume to make political gain by dictating what is and isn't good for women, and women have decisions made for them, those gains are superficial.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:54 AM
Binx B

Originally Posted by wyf View Post
Again Binx I have to mostly agree with you, but I think the women who fought fr our rights in the 60s would be horrified that (yes, we have made advances) the job isn't done yet, 50 years later.
But logically, there would be no reason for them to be horrified, considering how sexism is so deeply ingrained in society—and not just among men. We all know that legislation aside, real changes in behavior and attitudes happen over generations. Intrinsic and lasting change is just not going to happen in 50 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
wyf (05-03-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 364

Surely you're not presuming to speak for women or feminists are you? We're not supposed to do that, remember?
I prefaced my opinion of what I thought women might think with, "I may be wrong..." which is a good way to start out when you're presuming to speak for women.

(Yay! I'm an expert on women now)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Binx B

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
I prefaced my opinion of what I thought women might think with, "I may be wrong..." which is a good way to start out when you're presuming to speak for women.
Heh. Well, it's actually a good way to start out if you're presuming to speak for anyone.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

We all know that legislation aside, real changes in behavior and attitudes happen over generations. Intrinsic and lasting change is just not going to happen in 50 years.
Maybe you're right, but in the US you've gone from segregation to a black president in 50ish years. Racism is still an issue, but that's not a bad shift in opinion.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post

(Yay! I'm an expert on women now)
It's a good starting point when talking to a woman!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:21 AM
Binx B

Maybe you're right, but in the US you've gone from segregation to a black president in 50ish years. Racism is still an issue, but that's not a bad shift in opinion.
And the way things are panning out, there's a good chance we'll have a woman president. I just wish it wasn't Hillary.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:12 PM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

Better than the alternative, Binx.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 668

Hillary would be the worst alternative in 2016. Not that tRUMP would be sunshine and lollipops, but nah.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 PM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

Hilary is at least mentally stable.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Neither of them appear mentally stable to me.

Trump exhibits the general behaviour patterns of a gang-gang cockatoo in the mating season, with his comical crested plumage, loud but meaningless calls, and exaggerated, attention-seeking body language. Underneath he's less stupid than he appears, because if he was actually as stupid as he appears then he wouldn't have reached the age of 69.

Clinton, on the other hand, has a mind like clockwork. Made of steel and wheels and coiled springs, oscillates back and forth depending on the time of day, and periodically goes cuckoo.

I'm delighted that there's a serious female candidate for US president, and horrified that it's this female candidate out of a field that includes many better ones.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:23 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

Hilary is at least mentally stable.
Comparatively.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:28 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 668

Mental Stability has never been a requirement for US presidency. The first elected president might have been the most stable (George Washington) but there have been some madmen.

Some of the madmen were good presidents (Old Hickory) and some were destructive (Lincoln, Woody Wilson)

And no, I wouldn't classify Hillary as stable, mentally or otherwise.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:50 AM
MWMacKinnon (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I think it is relative.

Should the age of consent be 18? Maybe, but what happens when an 18 year old gets charged for having consensual sex with a 17 year old?

At the same time, I don't think a 17 year old can truly give consent to having sex with a 40 year old etc.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 887

I doubt consent is the word
sex is private
to make it a law is to advertise it,
lets go back to basics and follow our instinct
lets treat sex like any other
a matter of privacy.
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 08-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 364

So the forty year old man who finger-fucked my one-and-a-half-year-old should not have been punished, since he did it in private?

I think not.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table