WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

What would make an atheist flip?

Old 10-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Default What would make an atheist flip?

What reason would cause a non-believer to suddenly embrace God? The intellect? A supernatural experience? A close encounter with death? The people on the lists who have switched are certainly no slouches when it comes to intellect.

Atheists who converted to Christianity[edit]

Atheists who converted to Hinduism[edit]

Atheists who became an unspecified/uncertain form of theism or deism[edit]

The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I don't know; what would?

What would make a believer flip?

What would make an atheist or a believer not flip?

Shall we start compiling lists of notable and semi-notable people who fall under each category and see if we can figure it out?

What fun!
Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

If there was such a thing as a God, then He could easily make me flip. For example, He could cause one of His angels to write the Ten Commandments in letters hundreds of miles high on a surface visible from anywhere ---- say, the earthward face of the Moon ---- so we could read them and learn their wisdom and know they came from Him. Doesn't have to be English; any modern or historical language would do.

But if it could be a falsehood told by Men, then it will not convince me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:19 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 989

Yeah, anything like that.^^^

Something men could not possibly have done in scale and time.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Cityboy, I'm sure you compiled these lists from you own exhaustive research.

Which means we can expect similar lists in each of the categories I mentioned.

That way we can all evaluate your extensive, if not anecdotal evidence, and come to a conclusion based on your unbiased report.

I can't wait!
Old 10-16-2016, 03:30 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 379

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
What reason would cause a non-believer to suddenly embrace God? The intellect? A supernatural experience? A close encounter with death? The people on the lists who have switched are certainly no slouches when it comes to intellect.

Atheists who converted to Christianity[edit]

Atheists who converted to Hinduism[edit]

Atheists who became an unspecified/uncertain form of theism or deism[edit]

You make it sound like people who believe in God are crazy (people flip and then believe in God).

I believe in a God, He created the world I live in, limits my agency, He is ruthless, He is a thug, He starts wars, He creates famine, He creates disease, He creates pestilence etc etc. I think if you and I go around pointing this out we would be able to convert a few atheists - wishful thinking hippies
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

It doesn't matter much to me what other people believe. Were these people never true atheists in the first place? I did know a man who was a devout Mormon, but the death of his son at an early age turned him into a non believer. I guess in his cause it was more of an anger issue with God which turned him away.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

It doesn't matter much to me what other people believe.
Really? Then why did you start the thread?
Old 10-16-2016, 03:36 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
You make it sound like people who believe in God are crazy (people flip and then believe in God).

I believe in a God, He created the world I live in, limits my agency, He is ruthless, He is a thug, He starts wars, He creates famine, He creates disease, He creates pestilence etc etc. I think if you and I go around pointing this out we would be able to convert a few atheists - wishful thinking hippies
Aren't you are talking about the evil people you want to educate? Those that make you lock your doors at night and keep a handgun by your bedside.
PickleBottom (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Really? Then why did you start the thread?
Input. I understand most of you are bolted and sealed in your beliefs. But it's always good to get info.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Of course people who believe God are crazy, especially those who kill in the name of God. They need head doctors. Maybe even too late for that.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:42 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 989

Actually, I recently talked with Ted Turner. He's still an atheist.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:42 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 379

Aren't you are talking about the evil people you want to educate? Those that make you lock your doors at night and keep a handgun by your bedside.
Aren't you after a strategy to convert atheists? I'm giving you some bona fide proof for the existence of God. Using this knowledge you can convert as many atheists as possible. Who can argue against this logic?

They create the world in which people live
They need to be worshipped before anyone else
They are jealous
People need to make sacrifices for them
They have supernatural ability, like making people work to pay off supernatural sums of money
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by PickleBottom; 10-16-2016 at 03:59 PM..
Old 10-16-2016, 03:44 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Input. I understand most of you are bolted and sealed in your beliefs. But it's always good to get info.
Oh, and you aren't bolted and sealed in your beliefs?
Old 10-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Oh, and you aren't bolted and sealed in your beliefs?
Well, not necessarily. I always was a non practicing Catholic but then I started dabbling in the occult and began to experience some weird stuff, such as hearing deceased voices of loved ones and having these lucid dreams which were more than dreams. And a few out of body experiences convinced me there was something behind the curtain.

There are ways to explore the supernatural. I could almost guarantee you that two months practice would have you experiencing stuff you never did before. But, I stopped messing around years ago. Occasionally, some weird stuff does come through, but not nearly as much as in the past.

Last edited by Cityboy; 10-16-2016 at 03:57 PM..
Old 10-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I think if you are convinced that there is something behind the curtain then you are locked into a belief, more so then someone who doesn't believe there's anything behind the curtain.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

And after everything you've presented in all these threads about God and religion and the afterlife, supported by all your quotes and cut and paste testimony and anecdotal information; all you can up with is, there is "something behind the curtain?"

Wow.

Why so whishy-washy all of a sudden?

Last edited by Myers; 10-16-2016 at 04:20 PM..
Old 10-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I think if you are convinced that there is something behind the curtain then you are locked into a belief, more so then someone who doesn't believe there's anything behind the curtain.
Naturally. One of your comrades harps about facts. Well, for me, I have seen the evidence proving that there is a spirit world and an order in it. You asked and I told. What if we were walking down the street together and we witnessed flames shooting out of a window, should we pretend there isn't any fire?

Behind the curtain... I like that expression.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

It doesn't take a Harvard professor to catch the eye of God. God has made His presence known to the lowliest of human beings. What does cut and paste have to do with anything? I just admire great minds.

Last edited by Cityboy; 10-16-2016 at 04:29 PM..
Old 10-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Naturally. One of your comrades harps about facts. Well, for me, I have seen the evidence proving that there is a spirit world and an order in it. You asked and I told. What if we were walking down the street together and we witnessed flames shooting out of a window, should we pretend there isn't any fire?

Behind the curtain... I like that expression.
Did either of us doubt beforehand there was such a thing as fire?
Old 10-16-2016, 04:37 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 379

With regards to education, would you like to taste of this forbidden fruit? This fruit of knowledge?
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-16-2016, 07:23 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 379

Further to this, what if the Ancient enslaved Jewish people were only being allegorical (with respect to their masters)? They could not outright discuss what they really thought of their Pharoah God-King so they rewrote him as the God of the Old Testament.

The serpent in the Garden of Eden represents the intellectuals, who try to point out the issues of society, which makes "God" (the masters) cranky...
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-16-2016, 08:20 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 379

Surely if you look at the ten commandments, and the first four,

-I am the LORD thy God.
-Thou shalt have no other gods.
-No graven images or likenesses.
-Not take the LORD's name in vain.

Say if I wrote the same laws and then stated these laws were directed by a CEO of a large company people would be pissing themselves laughing, ergo;

-I am the LORD thy CEO.
-Thou shalt have no other CEOs.
-No graven images or likenesses.
-Not take the CEO's name in vain.

There would have been a few Ancient Jewish people doing the same after they wrote this.

That whole golden calf thing, that as soon as an authority figure is not looking people are going to start worshiping the first thing they see, that must been some of their sense of humour shining through.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-16-2016, 09:09 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230
Default such hogwash

Cityboy, I see you're still beating your special logic drum. All your list proves to me is that people who can accomplish something don't have the metal capcity to recognize the Religious Hustle. My heart goes out to them. I know many people who use critical thinking skills in one area but are running with blind spots where they don't use those skills.

Do you think a list of names somehow proves something. The concept of "proving" by the way, is a logic term, and logic is a part of critical thinking. I'm not including your 'special logic of confusion' in that.

Hearing voices is a hallmark of mental abberations and could get you a 72 hold by the authorites to make sure your not dangerous. I can't remember which one, but there was a serial killer who heard god telling him to kill. Son of Sam? Are you still hearing voices or was that a one time event?

I just watched a documentary about LSD experiments. The illusions, visual and audio, are located in the pre frontal brain. When you heard voices that's were they originated. Instead of undrstanding the facts of what you experienced, you built a fantastic imagionary world around the event. And, of course, you have every right to do that. Your brain belongs to you and you can do whatever you want to with it. Convincing others to join you in your imagionary world is a hard road to travel with no factual basis.

Take care. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:53 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Further to this, what if the Ancient enslaved Jewish people were only being allegorical (with respect to their masters)? They could not outright discuss what they really thought of their Pharoah God-King so they rewrote him as the God of the Old Testament.

The serpent in the Garden of Eden represents the intellectuals, who try to point out the issues of society, which makes "God" (the masters) cranky...
Have you ever looked East, Pick?

And "what if" you yourself have been leading one great lie for seventy years?
PickleBottom (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Cityboy, I see you're still beating your special logic drum. All your list proves to me is that people who can accomplish something don't have the metal capcity to recognize the Religious Hustle. My heart goes out to them. I know many people who use critical thinking skills in one area but are running with blind spots where they don't use those skills.

Do you think a list of names somehow proves something. The concept of "proving" by the way, is a logic term, and logic is a part of critical thinking. I'm not including your 'special logic of confusion' in that.

Hearing voices is a hallmark of mental abberations and could get you a 72 hold by the authorites to make sure your not dangerous. I can't remember which one, but there was a serial killer who heard god telling him to kill. Son of Sam? Are you still hearing voices or was that a one time event?

I just watched a documentary about LSD experiments. The illusions, visual and audio, are located in the pre frontal brain. When you heard voices that's were they originated. Instead of undrstanding the facts of what you experienced, you built a fantastic imagionary world around the event. And, of course, you have every right to do that. Your brain belongs to you and you can do whatever you want to with it. Convincing others to join you in your imagionary world is a hard road to travel with no factual basis.

Take care. wrc
What would make you flip? You seem so entrenched in your beliefs that you probably couldn't see the light of a lantern in the darkest cave. And check the names on the lists above. How many are nonexistent or crazy? Since you guys like to research.

I took LSD when I was younger. Nothing to do with the spirit world. Apples & oranges.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Actually, I recently talked with Ted Turner. He's still an atheist.
At least I feel safe with you around. Please don't die before I do.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:24 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 379

Have you ever looked East, Pick?

And "what if" you yourself have been leading one great lie for seventy years?
Well, as they say, artists use lies, like stories, to elucidate a truth.

But consider the following;
Random father; "you believe in your dreams Tommy, and you can be anything"
Random child (presumably Tommy); "I want to be a woman"
Random father; "But you have a pecker Tommy! Jesus Christ all mighty, I raise you to be a good boy, I feed you, I call you my son, and you want to dress up as a two-bit harlot!"

What can you say about Tommy's father? Even he can't swallow the shit he spouts.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-17-2016, 07:01 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 989

At least I feel safe with you around. Please don't die before I do.

Show up at my house trying to take my food during the apocalypse and you'll get a musket full of lead😀😀😀
Old 10-18-2016, 05:16 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

What would make you flip? You seem so entrenched in your beliefs that you probably couldn't see the light of a lantern in the darkest cave. And check the names on the lists above. How many are nonexistent or crazy? Since you guys like to research.

I took LSD when I was younger. Nothing to do with the spirit world. Apples & oranges.
lol. cityboy. Ever hear of flashbacks? LSD has them all the time.

You've made an error in the way you've characterized me. You imply that my seeking facts to organize my life is the same as a belief system. Facts are facts. Beliefs are bullshit and do not reflect the real world. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table