Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Font size altering

Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Hallowless (Offline)
Official Member
Thanks 0
Default Font size altering

Okay before anyone gets the wrong idea, let me just say that I'm well aware that 12 times new roman is the main font to use.

But see, sometimes in my dialogue I like to make it look like the narrator is having trouble hearing someone else. To do this, I simply have the font size get shorter.

For example, say that the narrator is near someone, and that person is talking. While that person is talking, the narrator is creating distance.

"We aren't safe here. If we start running now, we should be able to get away safely-"

The font size would decrease within words, but the strictness of this forum's font size is hard to perform. I'm wondering if there are others who do this.

Oh, and what about font types, like times new roman? Do you include other kinds of those, or just stick with mr roman?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:23 AM
J.L.G. (Offline)
Thanks 36

Making the dialogue get shorter, Hal, you're making the reader struggle to read it comfortably. I can understand what you're doing and from a creative point it's good that you're thinking about these kind of graph changes, but you need to think about how hard that makes the reader work. there are a number of other ways you can do what you need without shortening the font.

"We aren't safe here. If we start running now wuh--"
"Huh?" Sam was alredy moving and Jack didn't catch the last bit. 'What?"
"Away..." Sam shouted over his shoulder. "We should be able to get away. Come on."

Choose one font, stick to it, choose Times New, stick to it. Use your punctuaion and grammar to get everything else across that you need. I'd say use italics at a push, but not much else.

Some publishers prefer times new Roman, some don't, but if they ask for something else, you change the whole manuscript to their requirements.

Last edited by J.L.G.; 07-17-2010 at 03:34 AM..
Old 07-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe
Thanks 452

Courier and Times New Roman, size 12, are the ones most often recommended in my experience. Certainly, for anything you were thinking of submitting, you shouldn't deviate from size 12. Editors do a lot of reading and the guidelines are there to make their job easier. But even if you are posting only a forum, you should bear in mind that not everyone has good eyesight. For those with specs, little print like this is not always easy to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues