WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Writer's Beat Technical Support

Writer's Beat Technical Support Tech support for problems with logging in, passwords, or any other hitches you may experience on the forum.

Problem with font (size & style) setting and space

Old 02-23-2011, 02:27 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Default Problem with font (size & style) setting and space

Hi there,

well I am having this problem since long (or may be since start when I came back) that I have to edit almost every post of mine : ( because of Font size, style and sometime merging of lines.

The default size and style is I guess too small (when anything just pasted here) and when I change them, it mostly doesn't work in first attempt neither apply on whatever I paste (text I just copy and pasted here rather writing).

When I do editing and even check out the preview before submitting, I have to re-edit it 'cause then everything (lines) gets mixed up ... like no proper line break/space.

Any help?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

The paragraph break issue is consistent throughout. You just have to manually add them in your posts.

As for the other issue, people usually say that putting it into another wp, like notepad, works pretty well. Then, when you copy/paste that into the text box here, it has the simpler formatting and copies nicer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:20 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

For larger posts, I prepare it on wordpad first.
And, don't do indents as the message format won't take 'em.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The history of the California missions

Life in the military and general ramblings
Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

hmm but it's not exactly the paragraph issue. It's like say I edit the following for desirable size/style;

born to be born!
or was there a reason?
but no answer echoed
neither any feeling stirred,
only popped up questions!
one after another ...

and usually when I submit that after correcting this one issue (size), I usually end up with something like this;

born to be born!or was there a reason?but no answer echoed
neither any feeling stirred, only popped up questions!
one after another ...

or sometime all poetry turns into a prose :$

Second thing, I copy stuff from Word file but simply pasting and submitting it, appears as some smaller font like 8 or 9 size. and even selecting "Arial 10 or 12" doesn't work then (at the time of first submitting). I have to have it that way first and then edit to the way I want :@

and see usually the issue is when I need to do copy/pasting. Writing in the reply box here usually works fine as it's behaving now.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

see what happened in above post. The purple texts I copied and pasted. Then it affected the text I wrote in continuation, appeared same (the style n size).

Last line I added later n it wasn't like after hitting the "Enter" tab for next line.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

With your first issue, if you have a manual return in at the end of each line, I don't see why it wouldn't transfer that over with a copy/paste. I guess I'm not sure about that one . . .

But with the second issue, a good way to "edit" the post before "submitting" it is to use the "preview post" button. Once you copy/paste, just hit preview post, and you can see what it'll look like before it shows up on here. That way you can get all those little font things out of the way without having to post it then edit it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Your issue is that you are copying not just the text from where you are copying from, but also the format coding, which then gets applied to everything after it, there are two solutions to this, either turn of Rich Text in the program you are copying from (or use notepad/equivalent which donít have it) or to select all of your post, click the Remove Text formatting button (left of the font dropdown menu) before applying any formatting that you want.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 AM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
With your first issue, if you have a manual return in at the end of each line, I don't see why it wouldn't transfer that over with a copy/paste. I guess I'm not sure about that one . . .

But with the second issue, a good way to "edit" the post before "submitting" it is to use the "preview post" button. Once you copy/paste, just hit preview post, and you can see what it'll look like before it shows up on here. That way you can get all those little font things out of the way without having to post it then edit it.
hmm yeah I started doing it lately @ Preview ... but I guess faced the same "line issue" even then. anyway ... I was just wondering how would I be able to submit properly in any contest. I am afraid I would end up asking anyone of you to edit it : )
Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

As people have suggested copy/paste it into a notepad like program first, then copy it from there onto WB, and we are always happy to help if you have a problem submitting your contest here. What might also help is to select all and use the Clear Formatting button in your word processing program before copying it across.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 AM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Originally Posted by Tau View Post
Your issue is that you are copying not just the text from where you are copying from, but also the format coding, which then gets applied to everything after it, there are two solutions to this, either turn of Rich Text in the program you are copying from (or use notepad/equivalent which donít have it) or to select all of your post, click the Remove Text formatting button (left of the font dropdown menu) before applying any formatting that you want.

code!! hmm I don't think so ... I just simply do it from Word file but okay I will try to follow what you mentioned and see if it works @ Remove text formatting. Or may be would use Notepad.

anyway thanks you all
Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Originally Posted by fun2learn View Post
code!! hmm I don't think so ... I just simply do it from Word file but okay I will try to follow what you mentioned and see if it works @ Remove text formatting. Or may be would use Notepad.

anyway thanks you all
And when you copy from Word you copy all the invisible formatting code, such as font and size and colour and paragraphs and so on. For example this Text was written in Word and then copy pasted without doing any formatting (and adding the bit of code that reveals all the others so that you can see, see below).

[font=Calibri][size=3]And when you copy from Word you copy all the invisible formatting code, such as font and size and colour and paragraphs and so on. For example this Text was written in Word and then copy pasted without doing any formatting (and adding the bit of code that reveals all the others so that you can see).[/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][/size][/font]

So you see those bits in [ ] that is the coding, and when you then add coding without removing it you get.

[font=Book Antiqua][color=navy][font=Calibri][size=3]And when you copy from Word you copy all the invisible formatting code, such as font and size and colour and paragraphs and so on. For example this Text was written in Word and then copy pasted without doing any formatting (and adding the bit of code that reveals all the others so that you can see).[/size][/font][/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=navy][font=Calibri][size=3][/size][/font] [/color][/font]

Wich looks like:

And when you copy from Word you copy all the invisible formatting code, such as font and size and colour and paragraphs and so on. For example this Text was written in Word and then copy pasted without doing any formatting (and adding the bit of code that reveals all the others so that you can see).

Even though I formated to look like this:

And when you copy from Word you copy all the invisible formatting code, such as font and size and colour and paragraphs and so on. For example this Text was written in Word and then copy pasted without doing any formatting (and adding the bit of code that reveals all the others so that you can see).

And it all adds up, especial If one is unaware of all this and does not clean up spare bits of formatting code.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

hmm yeah I know what codes are but I didn't know that every time (the default setting of our word file) the codes apply and invisibly get copied with the text.

Although once or twice my post appeared with all the coding thing as you showed and I tried more than couple of times by refreshing the thread but didn't work so had to erase all these codes manually from each line (way too much work it was) ... but since it wasn't what I faced frequently.

but yeah then why it happens only here?
I do the same copy/pasting without removing Formatting codes to post on other forums and I believe the basic format and setting of all the forums are same like if they are from same hosting application (don't know what you call it technically) vbulletin or so ... is it?

and thanks for the detail reply : )
Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

A lot of forums have rich text of by default, which means coding gets lost when you post there, but in return there is less formatting you can do there. Unlike WB, where rich text is on by defult to allow better formating in generl, though it has its drawback.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

I see ... I guess that's why this one thing happen here which I noticed and wondered that here we don't see the codes when we select them ... like [B] [ /B] or whatever ... but rather see desirable changes in text even in the message box.
all right no worries then.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

There is a Button in the top right of the posting box that allows you to see the coding if you click it.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

okay ... switch Editor mode .. got it : )

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Writer's Beat Technical Support