WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Christianity and marriage equality

Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 AM
veritywritten (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Christianity and marriage equality

   I met The One when I walked into a cellphone store to buy a cellphone. I capitalized “The One” because when you find it, you know it, and it is epic. I knew it. He knew it. This was it. He paid his coworkers his entire day of commission to take me as a customer. I called my friends the minute I left the store, ecstatic that this devastatingly handsome guy had asked me out. We spent a summer in love without even realizing it. My mother says I was scared by how much I loved him and because of my fear I ended things. We parted ways. I eventually got married and had two children. After five years in a tumultuous and detrimental relationship, I ended my marriage. Then one day I serendipitously ran into that same devastatingly handsome guy. It had been ten years since I last laid eyes on him. That is the beginning of my happily ever after. We reconnected and I discovered he was also divorced and had three kids of his own. He had always wondered what had happened to me. He said he always knew I was the one. Perhaps that is part of the reason we never found true happiness until we found each other again. We married and have spent the last six years living life with our five crazy kids. I truly cannot imagine a world without him. He is the love of my life. Now imagine he had an accident and died. Imagine that our relationship was never recognized by law. We were never married but we loved each other and he died. Imagine if his next of kin took his body and banned me and my children from saying our last goodbyes. Imagine me being banned from attending his funeral because his family does not agree with our relationship because we were never married and living together in sin. My heart breaks at the thought of this. What would you think of the people who would ban me from the funeral of my soul mate?
The fact of the matter is that this, my friend, is a reality. This is what happened to Tom and Shane. They were in a relationship for six years. Then Tom fell from a rooftop while taking pictures of his friend and died. Tom’s family came and collected his body when Shane was sleeping. Then they banned Shane from attending his funeral, saying they would attack him and beat him up if he dared show his face. I cannot imagine or fathom the heartbreak and pain Shane must have felt, nor do I want to. You can follow their story on America blog or watch the documentary “Bridegroom” if you want to further rip your heart out of your chest. (Aravosis) Or check out an ICU nurse’s heart breaking story of a loving partnership that ended in tragedy. A man was in an accident and in the intensive care unit. The first next of kin they were able to track down was his mother who had been estranged from him because of his homosexual preferences. Before they could find his partner, she set up limitations to the visitor list and would not permit his partner of twenty years to see him. They had a house and furniture…a life together. Yet this woman who had not spoken to her son for twenty years made all the medical decisions for him while his partner sat in the waiting room completely wrecked with grief. (Garcia) However, thanks to the new decision on marriage equality no one will ever have to endure this unnecessary and tragic heartbreak. I feel that we as Christians should make a concerted effort to learn how to accept this reality the way Jesus would accept it. What would Jesus really do?
I was baptized and raised in a Lutheran church. My parents were elders at our church. I was in the youth group. I went on mission trips. I helped out at vacation bible school in the summer and when I graduated high school I attended a Christian college. As an adult I have continued to attend church at a non-denominational church. I have also returned to my Lutheran church to teach vacation bible school once again. This year we taught that God has the power to provide, comfort, heal, forgive, and love forever. I believe in the way Christ lived his life on earth. I want each of my five children to try their hardest to live like Christ. Even if you aren’t Christian you have to admit that the humility, compassion, understanding, and forgiving nature of Christ made him a pretty good guy. He might have overturned a table or two but haven’t we all? I want my kids to live like that. That is why I chose to be a Christian. I chose to believe in what he was doing here on earth and what is promised after death. So, what do we do as Christians when such a hot button issue is shoved in our face with the new ruling on marriage equality? This is what I want to address in this essay. I want to find a way to reconcile our religious views with the reality of our nation and our community.
Science. That word deserves its own sentence. Because really…science. Some might say homosexuality is unnatural. Allow me to lay down some facts concerning nature and the naughty bits. Currently 450 different animal species worldwide have demonstrated homosexual tendencies. (Fereydooni) In the animal kingdom, this means the findings of Baily and Zuk demonstrate an evolutionary paradox. (Fereydooni) Scientifically speaking, a culture of heterosexuality promotes growth of the community. Without male and female parts cumming together there would be no more babies. Makes sense right? So, it would seem to logically follow that a culture of homosexuality would be detrimental to the promotion of the species. However, studies now show that there are certain benefits to the homosexual relationship. For example, studies of the Laysan albatross show a benefit to same-sex pairings. They apparently have a shortage of males. Oh, to be a male albatross. With the guys getting lucky left and right the females are often left to care for the offspring on their own. Same-sex pairing allows the mommas to have more freedom and gives the offspring a better chance at survival with superior care. I have yet to meet a single momma who can tell me, “You know what I don’t miss? Free time!” Yeah, no. A happy mommy is a better mommy. This also takes the pressure off the males and reduces competition among the bird community and strengthens social bonds. (Fereydooni) I’m not saying males are completely unnecessary. They do carry half of the secret ingredient to life so there’s that and some do make great dads. I’m just saying clearly there are some benefits, even in nature, to forming same-sex pairings. Score one for flying homosexuals.
Now let’s talk about humans. According to the Williams Institute there are more than 9,000,000 LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) individuals in the United States. (Williams Institute) According to the Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, children of gay couples do just fine and, in fact, might just be doing better than the children of heterosexual couples. (Perrin and Siegel) According to the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute, there are 397,122 children living without permanent families in the United States. Globally there are an estimated 153 million orphans. (CCAI) Do you think maybe we need to take that into account? We have more babies than we know what to do with and an entire community of people, previously unable to adopt these uncared for babies as a married unit, who apparently make really good parents.
Who is to say that the prevalence of homosexuality in today’s culture isn’t nature’s way of balancing out the ecosystem? After all, an article written by Dennis Dimick says there are more than 7 billion people on earth and nearly 1 out of 8 of us is starving. The article continues to reference an ongoing Global Footprint Network study that says, “We now use the equivalent of 1.5 planets to provide the resources we use, and to absorb our waste.” The same article cites a study by the Stockholm Resilience Institute as having identified a set of "nine planetary boundaries" in which our race could survive and thrive for generations to come. Guess what? According to these smarty pants we have already passed the point of no return. We have exceeded our limits and our population is ever booming with a projected population of 9.6-12.3 billion Homo sapiens walking around by 2100 guzzling air and precious resources. (Dimick) What is the end game here? From my point of view it does not look promising.
Maybe the reason for homosexuality is a scientific one. One with benefits to our culture and the sustainability of our planet. Did you ever think of that? Even as a Christian, I have to acknowledge the danger our planet is in and the impact humans are having on it. We, as Christians, are tasked with the care of our planet. With population out of control, it is becoming harder and harder to do that. Maybe homosexuality today is nature’s way of caring for our unwanted young, fostering loving relationships, promoting social growth and less competition. Maybe those birds are onto something.
Now that we have covered possible scientific reasons for the acceptance of homosexuality let’s get into the nitty gritty religious aspects of homosexuality and the Bible. Most Christians will cite the Bible when asked to defend their stance on marriage equality. They will cite Leviticus 18:22 “Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman: that is detestable,” or Leviticus 20:13 “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.” Let’s address Leviticus. Did you know that Leviticus 19:28 also says you shall not get tattoos? Have you ever had a ham sandwich? Because Leviticus 11:7-8 says no to the other white meat. Mark 10:11-12 says anyone who gets divorced and remarried commits adultery. Uh-oh. I am in trouble and so is my hubby. All those women out there who escaped with their lives from an abusive relationship have no hope of ever finding happiness again. Did your wife leave you? Yeah, don’t try to find a new lady love. Otherwise you will be denied by God himself. Also, don’t wear a garment made of two different kinds of material or sow your field with two different kinds of seeds. Do you have an herb garden? You in trouble man.
I think maybe some of these rules are a little outdated. There are those who say that the verses in Leviticus were part of the old law. Apostle Paul wrote in Galatians 3:10 that we will not get to heaven by following the law but only by faith. Most of the “law” in Leviticus seems to be meant to distinguish Jews from the Gentiles. I know there are other parts of the Bible where homosexuality is mentioned. Sexual sin is addressed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 but seems to be addressing homosexuality in connection with idolatry not in the context of a loving relationship. Romans 1:26-28 also talks about God giving man over to a depraved mind and addresses homosexuality. But in the following chapter Paul condemns those who judge others.
I get it. The Bible is hard to interpret. That is why people get paid to study it. I do hope that my fellow Christians will take the time to address the context of the Bible and the verses it presents. After all it is a book written by man and man is clearly flawed. I cannot believe that my God would deny love to any of his creations solely based on gender preference. The context for homosexuality today is much different than when it was written into the Bible. This is not an issue of sexual preference born of perversion. These are human beings wanting to be free to love who they love. I think the most important thing we can learn from the Bible is written in Matthew 22:37-40. Jesus tells us to love God with all of your heart, soul, and mind. The next most important command is to love your neighbor as yourself. He says these are the two commandments all other laws hang on. This, to me, is the foundation of Christianity. This is why I chose to believe in this religion. I want to teach my children tolerance and humility and acceptance. I want them to live like Christ. I want my fellow Christians to find a way to reconcile their beliefs with God’s message of love and acceptance. The leaders of our judicial system have recognized the importance of this issue. Justice Anthony Kennedy said it so eloquently in his closing remarks:
"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. It is so ordered. (OBERGEFELL ET AL. v. HODGES, DIRECTOR, OHIO 28)"
In conclusion, whether you believe homosexuality is natural or unnatural, whether you take the Bible literally or literarily, whether you are gay or straight, marriage equality is now a reality in our country. It may go against what we once thought of as natural in our world but evidence now points to the contrary. There are children who are born one gender and identify as another as early as age 5. What are we to make of those innocents? Do we condemn them to hell? Pray for their souls? Do we inflict shame and suffering on them for something they feel in the very core of their being? We, as Christians, need to address this with caution and care. I plead with you to revisit the Bible with an open heart and an open mind. Look at the research and the facts available to us today. I commend anyone trying their best to live like Christ. Let us not be judgmental. Let us not be indifferent. Let us show love in every way; mind, body, and soul. Let us be accepting. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should have eternal life,” as it is written in John 3:16. He does not say whoever, except gays, or tattooed people, or adulterers. He very simply states “whoever.” That is it. If you believe, you will have eternal life. So…

What would Jesus really do?

Works Cited
Aravosis, John. America Blog. 17 October 2013. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://americablog.com/2013/10/worst-parents-in-the-world-2.html>.
CCAI. Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute. November 2012. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://ccainstitute.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=25&l ayout=blog&Itemid=43>.
Dimick, Dennis. News National Geographic. 21 September 2014. 1 July 2015. <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/09/140920-population-11billion-demographics-anthropocene/>.
Fereydooni, Arash. Yale Scientific. 14 March 2012. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/03/do-animals-exhibit-homosexuality/>.
Garcia, Adrian. Gaily Grind. 5 July 2015. Web. 8 July 2015. <http://www.thegailygrind.com/2015/07/06/nurses-heartbreaking-facebook-message-explains-why-equal-marriage-is-so-important/>.
OBERGEFELL ET AL. v. HODGES, DIRECTOR, OHIO. No. No. 14-556. Supreme Court of the United States. 26 June 2015. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf>.
Perrin, Ellen C. and Benjamin S. Siegel. Official Journal of American Acadamy of Pediatrics. 2013. 1 July 2015. <http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/03/18/peds.2013-0377>.
Williams Institute. The Williams Institute. 2 May 2015. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/datablog/just-the-facts-data-overview_2015/>.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:41 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

One hundred and fifty three million orphans is a tragedy of immense proportions. That statistic makes it difficult to be proud of humanity. What could be done to lower the numbers? And what about all the children who have become victims of the flourishing child sex trade industry? My gut feeling tells me that God isn't pleased with our performance down here and that it wouldn't surprise me if He lowers the boom to start over again.

I have lived amongst homosexuals all my life. My brother in law was gay before he died from AIDS (many friends are gay and Christian). The church may treat gays harshly, but in comparison to other religions, even a gay person will tell you "Christianity is a lot better than a few of the others."

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-09-2015 at 08:05 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
gerrielynn (07-23-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

why does it matter?
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 07-09-2015, 08:49 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Realizing this is free writing and not a vehicle for discussions I will still point out that the U.S. Constitution is silent on marriage - aka it is not mentioned and according to the 10th amendment is left to the states and to the people.

Beyond that, What would Jesus do? He would tell the same sex marriage couple that they were saved, but knock it off. Go and sin no more.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

The U.S. Constitution is silent on many, many things. That's why we have the courts. If it was always left to the states and the people, you'd be drinking out of your own special water fountain.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Don't forget..the Seahorse fucks itself.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Realizing this is free writing and not a vehicle for discussions I will still point out that the U.S. Constitution is silent on marriage - aka it is not mentioned and according to the 10th amendment is left to the states and to the people.

Beyond that, What would Jesus do? He would tell the same sex marriage couple that they were saved, but knock it off. Go and sin no more.
Maybe you ought to transfer the thread to Writer's Cafe where such discussions thrive.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
why does it matter?
It's a thread about Christianity, that's why.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post

Are you sure? I thought it was about gays getting their own flag. Like two mice wearing raspberry berets butt fucking on a field of fuscia.

I stand corrected. Carry on.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

sure but why the question every single time
it almost says one cannot work it out themselves?
what would Jesus and anyone for that matter think of that? not being able to work it out themselves?
because if someone is not here then
is it not best to try and find an answer suitable for the now?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

then one could not condemn it .
silent is usually is a sign of agreement or so they say
is one saying sex is sin?
because sex is sex men or women, there is no difference when it comes to doing it
to put it bluntly
and that would make it a different matter to be pedantic.

i think one knows it is not about the sex it is about the grouping of two men together.
the other thing is
it is after all an imposition to impose one idea and not the other.

Last edited by Nacia; 07-09-2015 at 10:17 AM..
Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

I think you might be putting words in Jesus' mouth.

Interesting story, which might hold some clues about saints and sinners.

A gay buddy is a priest (not Roman but American Catholic). He had a gas leak in his apartment so he called the gas company which sent a worker to the Apartment. The worker was of Indian decent, and the man could see and read the aura surrounding the human body.

The gas worker noticed a dazzling whiteness around my friend's body and told my friend about it. "Are you a holy man?" the Indian said, "Your aura is pure white." Now, a dark aura may signify injury and evil. My gay buddy, the priest, has had a significant other for the past thirty years. So, if being a homosexual was "sinful," the blemish would have appeared in his aura. But, it didn't; instead "purity" was visible.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

ah well then one could not condemn it .
silent is usually is a sign of agreement or so they say

is one saying sex is sin?
because sex is sex men or women, there is no difference when it comes to doing it
to put it bluntly
and that would make it a different matter to be pedantic.

i think one knows it is not about the sex it is about the grouping of two men together.
the other thing is
it is after all an imposition to impose one idea and not the other.
"No one shows greater love than when he lays down his life for another."

So if a homosexual male surrenders his life saving another, how can he be denied the kingdom of heaven when Jesus Himself stated the man had committed the highest act of love.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

"No one shows greater love than when he lays down his life for another."

So if a homosexual male surrenders his life saving another, how can he be denied the kingdom of heaven when Jesus Himself stated the man had committed the highest act of love.
we must regulate our lives with what we have
and not
with what we think we may or may not have
attend to reality is a better promise with a better faith
to live in the hope of reaching out to a promise that is beyond our reach is delusion
our trust in ourselves and others is at stake
and love is forever ache.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

A promise beyond our reach? Who is your source for that statement?

I'm assuming your reality means visible to the naked eye). Well, without assistance from the microscope and the telescope, just look how much information (and things) would have never entered your "reality." Just because you cannot see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The day is nearing when inventions will prove the existence of an after life. In fact, there are now devices that record spirit voices and that detect spirit presences.

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-09-2015 at 10:39 AM..
Old 07-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

A promise beyond our reach? Who is your source for that statement
Cityboy i am deliberating i like to include everyone
by promise i mean the idea that one shall get and the other would not.
and source there is not one but my own judgement
an affair of my own
i think we ought to be careful not to judge or demonise but to include everyone to show we are capable to greater good and what it is better then to show understanding towards another fellow human because they have different ideas
those different from us in their manners of being and seing for they have a reason to be like we do
to prejudge them by sending a divine law upon them and calling them name is showing lack of judgement and clarity
who are we to judge?
even god.
i believe we must question the realms of infinity and beyond in order to reach a bette4r understanding of ourselves
nothing is beyond questioning we all stand equal in terms of our actions and thoughts and rightly so
god included.

I'm assuming your reality means visible to the naked eye). Well, without assistance from the microscope and the telescope, just look how much information (and things) would have never entered your "reality." Just because you cannot see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
i must deny what i cannot answer but i will further question its implication that it has on our lives
that is what i am doing
if something does not sound right because is directed at somebody else like me then i believe it is wrong god or not.

The day is nearing when inventions will prove the existence of an after life. In fact, there are now devices that record spirit voices and that detect spirit presences.
i believe so too
and such after life is undeniably free from prejudice and hatred otherwise it is not worth an afterlife.

in other words my mantra is this:
include everyone and you have included yourself
exclude others and you have excluded you
that is that is that is just

Last edited by Nacia; 07-09-2015 at 11:48 AM..
Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

Cityboy i am deliberating i like to include everyone
by promise i mean the idea that one shall get and the other would not.
and source there is not one but my own judgement
an affair of my own
i think we ought to be careful not to judge or demonise but to include everyone to show we are capable to greater good and what it is better then to show understanding towards another fellow human because they have different ideas
those different from us in their manners of being and seing for they have a reason to be like we do
to prejudge them by sending a divine law upon them and calling them name is showing lack of judgement and clarity
who are we to judge?
even god.
i believe we must question the realms of infinity and beyond in order to reach a bette4r understanding of ourselves
nothing is beyond questioning we all stand equal in terms of our actions and thoughts and rightly so
god included.

i must deny what i cannot answer but i will further question its implication that it has on our lives
that is what i am doing
if something does not sound right because is directed at somebody else like me then i believe it is wrong god or not.

i believe so too
and such after life is undeniably free from prejudice and hatred otherwise it is not worth an afterlife.

in other words my mantra is this:
include everyone and you have included yourself
exclude others and you have excluded you
that is that is that is just
Although I cannot be 100% positive, I do believe on judgment day our judge will be our own lifetime actions. Whether we pass the test or fail it depends on what we do with our lives at this very moment. Nobody with a good heart will be excluded from his or her just rewards (that is just common sense and requires no framed diplomas to understand).

Focusing on you ... you have a good heart and will be rushed to the head of the line. If it is a rainy day with puddles on your judgment day, one thousand angels will drop capes at your feet to keep them from becoming saturated. On your back will be a sign which reads: "Precious Cargo...Handle With Extreme Care."

You ain't got no problem getting in, Lady ... just like the pretty face waiting on line to get inside Studio 54 back in da day. You're a shoo in.

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-09-2015 at 12:42 PM..
Old 07-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

Although I cannot be 100% positive, I do believe on judgment day our judge will be our own lifetime actions. Whether we pass the test or fail it depends on what we do with our lives at this very moment. Nobody with a good heart will be excluded from his or her just rewards (that is just common sense and requires no framed diplomas to understand).

Focusing on you ... you have a good heart and will be rushed to the head of the line. If it is a rainy day with puddles on your judgment day, one thousand angels will drop capes at your feet to keep them from becoming saturated. On your back will be a sign which reads: "Precious Cargo...Handle With Extreme Care."

You ain't got no problem getting in, Lady ... just like the pretty face waiting on line to get inside Studio 54 back in da day. You're a shoo in.
Cityboy thank you it is a very kind and nice thing to say
it is always lovely to chat to you and it is brilliant to know you are still you

can i ask what is studio 54?
was it a special club>
Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

Cityboy thank you it is a very kind and nice thing to say
it is always lovely to chat to you and it is brilliant to know you are still you

can i ask what is studio 54?
was it a special club>
Very special ... Burn, Baby, Burn. But not as good as The Electric Circus, which was the ultimate hippie hangout until the Black Panthers set off a bomb in the joint. Fortunately nobody was injured, but management decided to close the joint. What a loss; it was beautiful. The Circus didn't have a liquor license but not a soul inside was straight. Admission was a mere three dollars, and as the Four Season's song goes, "Oh, What A Night!"

I yam who I yam.

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-09-2015 at 01:23 PM..
Nacia (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:46 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

very well written Veritywritten, I totally agree and if I had meet more people like you when I was in my formative years I would probably feel different about organized religion today, I might even go to church (NO sarcasm mark)

welcome to the site and stick around a while.

you do however realized you opened a can of worms.

Max
veritywritten (07-11-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

Very special ... Burn, Baby, Burn. But not as good as The Electric Circus, which was the ultimate hippie hangout until the Black Panthers set off a bomb in the joint. Fortunately nobody was injured, but management decided to close the joint. What a loss; it was beautiful. The Circus didn't have a liquor license but not a soul inside was straight. Admission was a mere three dollars, and as the Four Season's song goes, "Oh, What A Night!"

I yam who I yam.
Cityboy it sounds like the kind of place i to like to hang out in
it sounds magical i love music dancing drinking and chatting LOL that is me
and also the perfect setting for a story me think
Old 07-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

Cityboy it sounds like the kind of place i to like to hang out in
it sounds magical i love music dancing drinking and chatting LOL that is me
and also the perfect setting for a story me think
You could google the place. It'll provide black and white details. But inside the place with the excitement, music (that era had the best too), and the light show ... well, we are in total agreement on this one ... it was a magical experience.

This was the last song of the evening. When it blared over the speakers, it was time to gather your jacket and your friends to go home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2bmQ4P4cM

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-09-2015 at 02:45 PM..
Nacia (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

Originally Posted by veritywritten View Post
   I met The One when I walked into a cellphone store to buy a cellphone. I capitalized “The One” because when you find it, you know it, and it is epic. I knew it. He knew it. This was it. He paid his coworkers his entire day of commission to take me as a customer. I called my friends the minute I left the store, ecstatic that this devastatingly handsome guy had asked me out. We spent a summer in love without even realizing it. My mother says I was scared by how much I loved him and because of my fear I ended things. We parted ways. I eventually got married and had two children. After five years in a tumultuous and detrimental relationship, I ended my marriage. Then one day I serendipitously ran into that same devastatingly handsome guy. It had been ten years since I last laid eyes on him. That is the beginning of my happily ever after. We reconnected and I discovered he was also divorced and had three kids of his own. He had always wondered what had happened to me. He said he always knew I was the one. Perhaps that is part of the reason we never found true happiness until we found each other again. We married and have spent the last six years living life with our five crazy kids. I truly cannot imagine a world without him. He is the love of my life. Now imagine he had an accident and died. Imagine that our relationship was never recognized by law. We were never married but we loved each other and he died. Imagine if his next of kin took his body and banned me and my children from saying our last goodbyes. Imagine me being banned from attending his funeral because his family does not agree with our relationship because we were never married and living together in sin. My heart breaks at the thought of this. What would you think of the people who would ban me from the funeral of my soul mate?
The fact of the matter is that this, my friend, is a reality. This is what happened to Tom and Shane. They were in a relationship for six years. Then Tom fell from a rooftop while taking pictures of his friend and died. Tom’s family came and collected his body when Shane was sleeping. Then they banned Shane from attending his funeral, saying they would attack him and beat him up if he dared show his face. I cannot imagine or fathom the heartbreak and pain Shane must have felt, nor do I want to. You can follow their story on America blog or watch the documentary “Bridegroom” if you want to further rip your heart out of your chest. (Aravosis) Or check out an ICU nurse’s heart breaking story of a loving partnership that ended in tragedy. A man was in an accident and in the intensive care unit. The first next of kin they were able to track down was his mother who had been estranged from him because of his homosexual preferences. Before they could find his partner, she set up limitations to the visitor list and would not permit his partner of twenty years to see him. They had a house and furniture…a life together. Yet this woman who had not spoken to her son for twenty years made all the medical decisions for him while his partner sat in the waiting room completely wrecked with grief. (Garcia) However, thanks to the new decision on marriage equality no one will ever have to endure this unnecessary and tragic heartbreak. I feel that we as Christians should make a concerted effort to learn how to accept this reality the way Jesus would accept it. What would Jesus really do?
I was baptized and raised in a Lutheran church. My parents were elders at our church. I was in the youth group. I went on mission trips. I helped out at vacation bible school in the summer and when I graduated high school I attended a Christian college. As an adult I have continued to attend church at a non-denominational church. I have also returned to my Lutheran church to teach vacation bible school once again. This year we taught that God has the power to provide, comfort, heal, forgive, and love forever. I believe in the way Christ lived his life on earth. I want each of my five children to try their hardest to live like Christ. Even if you aren’t Christian you have to admit that the humility, compassion, understanding, and forgiving nature of Christ made him a pretty good guy. He might have overturned a table or two but haven’t we all? I want my kids to live like that. That is why I chose to be a Christian. I chose to believe in what he was doing here on earth and what is promised after death. So, what do we do as Christians when such a hot button issue is shoved in our face with the new ruling on marriage equality? This is what I want to address in this essay. I want to find a way to reconcile our religious views with the reality of our nation and our community.
Science. That word deserves its own sentence. Because really…science. Some might say homosexuality is unnatural. Allow me to lay down some facts concerning nature and the naughty bits. Currently 450 different animal species worldwide have demonstrated homosexual tendencies. (Fereydooni) In the animal kingdom, this means the findings of Baily and Zuk demonstrate an evolutionary paradox. (Fereydooni) Scientifically speaking, a culture of heterosexuality promotes growth of the community. Without male and female parts cumming together there would be no more babies. Makes sense right? So, it would seem to logically follow that a culture of homosexuality would be detrimental to the promotion of the species. However, studies now show that there are certain benefits to the homosexual relationship. For example, studies of the Laysan albatross show a benefit to same-sex pairings. They apparently have a shortage of males. Oh, to be a male albatross. With the guys getting lucky left and right the females are often left to care for the offspring on their own. Same-sex pairing allows the mommas to have more freedom and gives the offspring a better chance at survival with superior care. I have yet to meet a single momma who can tell me, “You know what I don’t miss? Free time!” Yeah, no. A happy mommy is a better mommy. This also takes the pressure off the males and reduces competition among the bird community and strengthens social bonds. (Fereydooni) I’m not saying males are completely unnecessary. They do carry half of the secret ingredient to life so there’s that and some do make great dads. I’m just saying clearly there are some benefits, even in nature, to forming same-sex pairings. Score one for flying homosexuals.
Now let’s talk about humans. According to the Williams Institute there are more than 9,000,000 LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) individuals in the United States. (Williams Institute) According to the Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, children of gay couples do just fine and, in fact, might just be doing better than the children of heterosexual couples. (Perrin and Siegel) According to the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute, there are 397,122 children living without permanent families in the United States. Globally there are an estimated 153 million orphans. (CCAI) Do you think maybe we need to take that into account? We have more babies than we know what to do with and an entire community of people, previously unable to adopt these uncared for babies as a married unit, who apparently make really good parents.
Who is to say that the prevalence of homosexuality in today’s culture isn’t nature’s way of balancing out the ecosystem? After all, an article written by Dennis Dimick says there are more than 7 billion people on earth and nearly 1 out of 8 of us is starving. The article continues to reference an ongoing Global Footprint Network study that says, “We now use the equivalent of 1.5 planets to provide the resources we use, and to absorb our waste.” The same article cites a study by the Stockholm Resilience Institute as having identified a set of "nine planetary boundaries" in which our race could survive and thrive for generations to come. Guess what? According to these smarty pants we have already passed the point of no return. We have exceeded our limits and our population is ever booming with a projected population of 9.6-12.3 billion Homo sapiens walking around by 2100 guzzling air and precious resources. (Dimick) What is the end game here? From my point of view it does not look promising.
Maybe the reason for homosexuality is a scientific one. One with benefits to our culture and the sustainability of our planet. Did you ever think of that? Even as a Christian, I have to acknowledge the danger our planet is in and the impact humans are having on it. We, as Christians, are tasked with the care of our planet. With population out of control, it is becoming harder and harder to do that. Maybe homosexuality today is nature’s way of caring for our unwanted young, fostering loving relationships, promoting social growth and less competition. Maybe those birds are onto something.
Now that we have covered possible scientific reasons for the acceptance of homosexuality let’s get into the nitty gritty religious aspects of homosexuality and the Bible. Most Christians will cite the Bible when asked to defend their stance on marriage equality. They will cite Leviticus 18:22 “Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman: that is detestable,” or Leviticus 20:13 “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.” Let’s address Leviticus. Did you know that Leviticus 19:28 also says you shall not get tattoos? Have you ever had a ham sandwich? Because Leviticus 11:7-8 says no to the other white meat. Mark 10:11-12 says anyone who gets divorced and remarried commits adultery. Uh-oh. I am in trouble and so is my hubby. All those women out there who escaped with their lives from an abusive relationship have no hope of ever finding happiness again. Did your wife leave you? Yeah, don’t try to find a new lady love. Otherwise you will be denied by God himself. Also, don’t wear a garment made of two different kinds of material or sow your field with two different kinds of seeds. Do you have an herb garden? You in trouble man.
I think maybe some of these rules are a little outdated. There are those who say that the verses in Leviticus were part of the old law. Apostle Paul wrote in Galatians 3:10 that we will not get to heaven by following the law but only by faith. Most of the “law” in Leviticus seems to be meant to distinguish Jews from the Gentiles. I know there are other parts of the Bible where homosexuality is mentioned. Sexual sin is addressed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 but seems to be addressing homosexuality in connection with idolatry not in the context of a loving relationship. Romans 1:26-28 also talks about God giving man over to a depraved mind and addresses homosexuality. But in the following chapter Paul condemns those who judge others.
I get it. The Bible is hard to interpret. That is why people get paid to study it. I do hope that my fellow Christians will take the time to address the context of the Bible and the verses it presents. After all it is a book written by man and man is clearly flawed. I cannot believe that my God would deny love to any of his creations solely based on gender preference. The context for homosexuality today is much different than when it was written into the Bible. This is not an issue of sexual preference born of perversion. These are human beings wanting to be free to love who they love. I think the most important thing we can learn from the Bible is written in Matthew 22:37-40. Jesus tells us to love God with all of your heart, soul, and mind. The next most important command is to love your neighbor as yourself. He says these are the two commandments all other laws hang on. This, to me, is the foundation of Christianity. This is why I chose to believe in this religion. I want to teach my children tolerance and humility and acceptance. I want them to live like Christ. I want my fellow Christians to find a way to reconcile their beliefs with God’s message of love and acceptance. The leaders of our judicial system have recognized the importance of this issue. Justice Anthony Kennedy said it so eloquently in his closing remarks:
"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. It is so ordered. (OBERGEFELL ET AL. v. HODGES, DIRECTOR, OHIO 28)"
In conclusion, whether you believe homosexuality is natural or unnatural, whether you take the Bible literally or literarily, whether you are gay or straight, marriage equality is now a reality in our country. It may go against what we once thought of as natural in our world but evidence now points to the contrary. There are children who are born one gender and identify as another as early as age 5. What are we to make of those innocents? Do we condemn them to hell? Pray for their souls? Do we inflict shame and suffering on them for something they feel in the very core of their being? We, as Christians, need to address this with caution and care. I plead with you to revisit the Bible with an open heart and an open mind. Look at the research and the facts available to us today. I commend anyone trying their best to live like Christ. Let us not be judgmental. Let us not be indifferent. Let us show love in every way; mind, body, and soul. Let us be accepting. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should have eternal life,” as it is written in John 3:16. He does not say whoever, except gays, or tattooed people, or adulterers. He very simply states “whoever.” That is it. If you believe, you will have eternal life. So…

Works Cited
Aravosis, John. America Blog. 17 October 2013. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://americablog.com/2013/10/worst-parents-in-the-world-2.html>.
CCAI. Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute. November 2012. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://ccainstitute.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=25&l ayout=blog&Itemid=43>.
Dimick, Dennis. News National Geographic. 21 September 2014. 1 July 2015. <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/09/140920-population-11billion-demographics-anthropocene/>.
Fereydooni, Arash. Yale Scientific. 14 March 2012. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/03/do-animals-exhibit-homosexuality/>.
Garcia, Adrian. Gaily Grind. 5 July 2015. Web. 8 July 2015. <http://www.thegailygrind.com/2015/07/06/nurses-heartbreaking-facebook-message-explains-why-equal-marriage-is-so-important/>.
OBERGEFELL ET AL. v. HODGES, DIRECTOR, OHIO. No. No. 14-556. Supreme Court of the United States. 26 June 2015. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf>.
Perrin, Ellen C. and Benjamin S. Siegel. Official Journal of American Acadamy of Pediatrics. 2013. 1 July 2015. <http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/03/18/peds.2013-0377>.
Williams Institute. The Williams Institute. 2 May 2015. Web. 1 July 2015. <http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/datablog/just-the-facts-data-overview_2015/>.
A medium gave a reading to a gay man whose lover had passed away. The gay man was depressed since his partner died and had not dated in a few years (since the death). Anyhow, the medium contacts the lover on the other side, and the spirit begins to tell his former lover "to get out of the dumps" and "to find himself another mate" so he can be happy again. This is an interesting story because the spirit on the other side "wasn't burning in hell;" in fact, according to the medium, the spirit seemed quite content wherever it was residing.

If anything displeases God, it has to be greed and wars. Do same sex couples displease God? Who can answer that question with authority? But if God is our loving Father (and He is), then how can He be against His child, whether the child be straight or gay?

The 60s were tough years for gays. They were viewed as freaks. I remembered the gay scene in Greenwich Village. Nearly all of the bars and clubs were owned and operated by the mob. I had many friends working as bouncers in gay clubs. Ironically, it was the mob who protected gays back then. The biggest harassers of gays were young military men who came from small towns across America. These young military men would get drunk, and while roaming the streets of Greenwich Village, they would verbally abuse any gay couple who passed them. My friend Jimmy, who worked the door at a gay club, told me never a weekend passed without him having an altercation with some drunken servicemen. How times have changed.

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-09-2015 at 05:10 PM..
veritywritten (07-13-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

I believe that flesh is just the temporary vehicle for the soul - we shed our skin like an old unwanted coat when we die. I see no importance in what body we're contained in. Why should love be inhibited by gender?
Cityboy (07-09-2015), veritywritten (07-13-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 179

Conservatives talk about the attack on Christianity. Actually, religion is stronger and more pervasive than ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 AM
veritywritten (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

sure but why the question every single time
it almost says one cannot work it out themselves?
what would Jesus and anyone for that matter think of that? not being able to work it out themselves?
because if someone is not here then
is it not best to try and find an answer suitable for the now?
It's true. I wrote this for a class. My audience was for those Christians struggling with the cognitive dissonance created by the new Supreme Court decision on marriage equality. So the question "What would Jesus do?" is used in a some what ironic context..and to make Christians really and truly think before they speak hate and judgement. Just as children look to their parents as examples, religion looks to its deity for inspiration on how to live life. Sometimes a little guidance is needed.

I love your writing...even in comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to veritywritten For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 09:33 AM
veritywritten (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
very well written Veritywritten, I totally agree and if I had meet more people like you when I was in my formative years I would probably feel different about organized religion today, I might even go to church (NO sarcasm mark)

welcome to the site and stick around a while.

you do however realized you opened a can of worms.

Max
Thank you so very much for your praise. I realize the can is open. It's good to shake things up a bit sometimes, is it not?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

Originally Posted by veritywritten View Post
It's true. I wrote this for a class. My audience was for those Christians struggling with the cognitive dissonance created by the new Supreme Court decision on marriage equality. So the question "What would Jesus do?" is used in a some what ironic context..and to make Christians really and truly think before they speak hate and judgement. Just as children look to their parents as examples, religion looks to its deity for inspiration on how to live life. Sometimes a little guidance is needed.

I love your writing...even in comments.
You shouldn't even waste you time on them. Many modern Christians are greedy and hooked on the luxurious life. They shun the true teachings of Jesus because it would affect their lifestyles, so they created their own brand of Christianity. (Now I'm not saying all, but a good majority). You know the heart of Jesus is pure; that's all there is to know. Let those hypocrites figure out a way to turn their own lives around instead of condemning others. Besides, if they're not listening to Jesus (His teachings), how in the world do you expect them to listen to you?

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-13-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Old 07-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

Gays are good people, The vast majority of them are generous, extremely generous. When I drove a truck for the largest Brewery (Rheingold) in New York City, my route was Greenwich Village, which was the gay capital of the East Coast. I delivered to all the gay bars and restaurants in the Village. And nearly every bartender or restaurant manager would always offer me a drink, food, or money after I completed the delivered. I never drank booze, so that was out. Accepting money I believed inappropriate, but making a sandwich for me and my partner was never a problem. We'd run in the kitchen, whipped out some roast beef from the walk in box, and slice up some sandwiches. Only in the Village in gay establishments could that happen.

I delivered beer to straight joints throughout the city, and the chance I'd be offered a drink would be about 10%. Gays are spenders. That is why there were so many gay clubs in the Village. In my early 20s, I had a few gay friends who managed clubs in the Village. Whenever I stopped by to visit them, they would always throw the joint at me: drinks and food without charge. Those were some good times. I cannot help to think about them. I hope they are still around to see the historical moment. But, to be honest with you, most of them were just happy people. They never let politics dictate their lives. Maybe because they were young too. Who knows? But those were good fun years. These? For gays, even better.

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-13-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Old 07-14-2015, 06:56 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

people are people gay or not
I dislike these labels blasphemed against individual on the ground of their sexuality
we should not be calling people names such as straight gay and so
on I think we need to find a different better way of addressing each other and the rest including sex is none of our business.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction