WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

I am not a troll.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:12 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230
Default I am not a troll.

I am not a troll.

Apparently, the cutesy title under everyoneís name is determined by a chart to show activity of that member. When I saw such a drastic fall off of my work I wondered if it was because I was being identified as a troll. And then I saw Binx being called a troll. So I went to Wiki to find out what troll really meant and Iím sharing with you what I found on Wiki:

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement."

Wiki went on to say:

"At times, the word can be abused to refer to anyone with controversial opinions they disagree with.[18] Such usages goes against the ordinary meaning of troll in multiple ways. Most importantly, trolls don't actually believe the controversial views they claim. Farhad Manjoo criticises this view, noting that if the person really is trolling, they are a lot more intelligent than their critics would believe."

I donít know how Binx feels about this, but I donít like being called a troll. If the intent is to indicate activity of a member why not put the posts count? And if they want to remain cutesy, change the one that Binx and I now carry.

Thanks for reading this.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Binx B

I don't care and I don't think anyone else does either.

On the other hand, it does have a negative connotation compared to the other "cutesy" little tags, so it does seem like kind of a dumb and not very clever choice.

P.S. At least they got the "eloquent" part right.

Last edited by Binx B; 10-27-2015 at 01:27 PM..
Old 10-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,379

Considerin' that they don't charge anything to have such a venue available to me I pretty much don't care what I'm labeled.

Anyhow, as I continue to stay involved, the sobriquet keeps a changin'.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:01 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 415

Posts like this are why they changed your title to troll....

Haha, sorry couldn't resist.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:38 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

The post count is available on the far right, at the top of the box.

The sayings seem to rotate based on a passage of time, not posts. I suspect the sayings weren't chosen by those in charge now.

Perhaps the reason for the decline lies elsewhere, as I doubt most pay attention to the "cutsey" labels.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,191

I'm not a heartbreaking writer of staggering genius, either. Pay no attention.

A lot of the good writers, and many of the prolific posters have been banned or left the site.
Many of these people were controversial or adversarial, and often labeled 'bullies' by some of the blander members.

It makes for a mushy experience.

Say! How about those Mets, eh?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:38 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

A lot of the good writers, and many of the prolific posters have been banned or left the site.

"A lot" and "many"?

Unless those who are no longer here critiqued wrc's stories in the past, their departure is irrelevant to the issue at hand.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

The sayings seem to rotate based on a passage of time, not posts.
Nope. Posts. The number of, that is.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

Many of these people were controversial or adversarial, and often labeled 'bullies' by some of the blander members.
WARNING WILL ROBINSON! DANGER DANGER DANGER

There are rules for forum use here at Writer's Beat. These rules are available to
all to view in the FAQs. Everyone who becomes a member agrees to abide by the rules.

No member has been banned for a controversial or adversarial position. People that have been banned - either temporarily or permanently - had been warned on several occasions that their actions were not within the agreed upon boundaries. These people are directed to the rules during this process.

The people that were banned were given an opportunity to abide by the rules of Writer's Beat and chose not to do so.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

Last edited by Mohican; 10-28-2015 at 06:40 AM..
Old 10-28-2015, 06:49 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732
Default The Staff Is Not Calling You A Troll

Note - this is something Staff/Admin inherited - And is rarely mentioned.

http://forums.writersbeat.com/faq.ph...q_user_ranks_2

Rank Number of posts Let me introduce myself 0 Pencil Pusher 11 Scribbler 25 Copyist 40 Typist 60 I Am My Own Master 80 Abnormally Articulate 110 Intellectually Fertile 150 Dedicated Writer 190 Profusive Denizen 240 Eloquent Troll 290 The Next Bard 360 Word Wizard 500 Scribbling Master 750 Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing 1000 Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius 1250 Grizzled Veteran 1500 Always Online 2000 Verbosity Pales 3000 Still Clicking! 4500 Samuel Johnson, obviously! 6000 Legend 8000 Resident Ghost 10000

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

Post rank titles are easily changed in vBulletin, and "eloquent troll" is clearly one that could be improved upon.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:45 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Hi Non Seriam.

Thanks for the tip.

Okay. How do I change it? Everytime I try to make a post I see it calling me a troll and I feel it's a waste of time to even participate, much less put work here in hopes of getting feedback.

I really want it changed!

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.

Last edited by wrc; 10-28-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Old 10-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

I'm sorry, wrc, my post was ambiguous. I should have said that it would be easy for an administrator such as Mohican to change it ---- post rank titles are indeed simple to change, but to do so requires access to the administrator control panel.

I would personally suggest that "eloquent troll" is globally changed, for all users. The word "troll" might be deleted, so that people of your post count are merely described as "eloquent".
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Binx B

I've actually come around to embracing the title. I'll probably be a little upset when it changes to "The Next Bard."
Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Nope. Posts. The number of, that is.
Then something odd happened about a month or so ago. Those "cutsey" labels changed. I first noticed when Tor became an "eloquent troll". Then I looked at my own, which was different. Then they changed again, then changed back to what they were before the funny business started. That led me to believe it was unrelated to post count.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:32 PM
Binx B

We should demand that a thorough investigation be launched immediately.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:44 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,191

Originally Posted by Binx B View Post
We should demand that a thorough investigation be launched immediately.

I agree. This is serious! Call the Navy! Call the Army! Something must be done!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:21 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Then they changed again, then changed back to what they were before the funny business started.
Odd. Because they are tied to post count.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

If you hit 350 post that Troll title might go away

Old 10-29-2015, 08:45 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Hi Mohican.

You told me you'd find out how to change the troll tag. Now you say I have to make more posts and "it might go away." I surprised and disappointed. This reminds me of Catch 22...

I don't mean to be argumenditive, but is there anyone in control of this ship? Or is this a case of "a rule is a rule as any fool can see!" Or "that's the way we run the ship and we're not going to change anything."

Take a moment and look at the chart. Everyone one of the tags is positive, or at least not offensive, except the one which identifies the poster as a troll.

You seem to be implying that nothing can be done about this. Why?

I plan to continue posting (and not sharing) until I hit 250. If that tag is still there I won't be here. I love this site. But I hate being called a troll by the site itself. It hurts much more that one person calling me troll.

So let's see what happens...

wrc

Last edited by wrc; 10-29-2015 at 08:51 PM..
Old 10-30-2015, 01:27 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

wrc, the post count has to reach 290, according to Mohican's chart, before it will change automatically.

Mohican, how difficult is it to change "troll" to "speechwriter" or something similar?
Old 10-30-2015, 04:50 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,379

At the republican debates two of the candidates were discussing what they would do about fantasy football betting when a third interjected his opinion about focusing on that subject as a presidential concern when other events such as the spread of world terrorism, global climate change and the like are upon us.

Not to belittle gambling - hell, I'm doin' that now by puttin' this up.

Now I gotta go out in the world and be peaceful as I walk rather than drive as much as possible.

Cheers.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:25 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Hi Mohican.

You told me you'd find out how to change the troll tag. Now you say I have to make more posts and "it might go away." I surprised and disappointed. This reminds me of Catch 22...

I don't mean to be argumenditive, but is there anyone in control of this ship? Or is this a case of "a rule is a rule as any fool can see!" Or "that's the way we run the ship and we're not going to change anything."

Take a moment and look at the chart. Everyone one of the tags is positive, or at least not offensive, except the one which identifies the poster as a troll.

You seem to be implying that nothing can be done about this. Why?

I plan to continue posting (and not sharing) until I hit 250. If that tag is still there I won't be here. I love this site. But I hate being called a troll by the site itself. It hurts much more that one person calling me troll.

So let's see what happens...

wrc

WRC - I can not find an admin panel that lets me change this ranking. I am checking with site Admin (different from Writers' Beat Admin) about how this is to be changed. I can poke around some more, but if the site admin (cgi admin) has to do this or point me in the direction it might take some time to do this, because there are other things to do and I don't know when he/she/whoever will get back to me. Like other changes on this forum, it takes time behind the scenes.

While the discussion can be had about whether or not certain rankings offend or don't offend some people, these rankings get applied to all posters. Everyone has this span where they are an eloquent troll, and this is the first I've heard that critiquing has completely stopped when they became an eloquent troll.

This is an automatic, Writers Beat Staff is not sitting behind the scenes, pounding quarts of 'Shine or shots of George Dickle and saying, "hmmn, Poster xxx just hit the 290 postcount threshold - let's change his/her status to Eloquent Troll".

I bear no ill will or malice toward you, but you, or other members must realize that some things can happen quickly, other things/changes cant and if that doesn't suit then yes, you do have the option to go softly into the night.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2015, 05:33 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Originally Posted by poirot View Post
wrc, the post count has to reach 290, according to Mohican's chart, before it will change automatically.

Mohican, how difficult is it to change "troll" to "speechwriter" or something similar?
The chart shows Eloquent Troll starting at 290 posts, and the Next Bard starting at 360 posts.

As an aside, rankings were a more popular thing in the earlier days of internet forums, a way to show how much effort you dedicated to a particular forum.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:43 AM
Binx B

“You will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do.”

-- Either David Foster Wallace or Eleanor Roosevelt.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:15 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
The chart shows Eloquent Troll starting at 290 posts, and the Next Bard starting at 360 posts.

As an aside, rankings were a more popular thing in the earlier days of internet forums, a way to show how much effort you dedicated to a particular forum.

Sorry. wrc said he would post but not share until he hit 250, and when I compared that to your chart, I assumed it was the ending number being shown. I guess I should have checked his post count. Then I would have realized the typo(s).

The labels are kind of fun, and certainly mean no harm or disrespect. Everyone who is beyond that level went through it, so it's not a personal attack.

Still odd about what happened a month or so ago.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:36 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230
Default why even have these tags?

Hi Mohican.

When I began looking into why every writer on WB had to take a take a turn with a tag line under their name I realized that it was an automatic software change via activity. I thought those running WB had control over that software.

Joining WB was a snake dance because I never received the confirmation email to respond to, so I contacted what I thought was WB and it turned out to be the owner of a LOT of interactive discussion groups. I worked with them and they solved the problem and I joined WB. I found the owner organization unusually easy to work with.

But to correct this problem, I suspect, would require an engineer there to change the software, and they may not want to do it. I have a feeling that they designed a template, then made it available to many. Those that run WB may want to lobby them for a little more power...

(I suppose I could dig out those who helped me before and explain the situation and make a request, but a mere user of their product won't have as much weight as someone running a site.)

These tags are not needed and correcting that would be simple and only need omitting that part of their software. Or changing troll to something better can be done by replacing it in the software.

You said: (((...this is the first I've heard that critiquing has completely stopped when they became an eloquent troll.)))

This is my explanation for the fall off of responses. I don't know how to prove it. After all, I've used WB a lot and too much exposure may have created disinterest in my work. General activity is down. There could be many reasons for the fall off. But I kept staring at my tag and it dawned on me that I wouldn't read the work of someone known as a troll.

You said: (((...you do have the option to go softly into the night.)))

It's not my nature to do anything softly. I've invested so much in research, education, experiences, writing, etc. to not take pride in my hard earned opinions. But now I realize where the problem and solution is located I've put leaving on hold.

I really appreciate you spending your time to help me.

wrc

Last edited by wrc; 10-30-2015 at 08:53 AM..
Old 10-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

Mohican, I may be able to talk you through this.

Try clicking on:- http://forums.writersbeat.com/admincp/ . It will prompt you for your username and password even though you're already logged in. Enter your normal site username and password. If you have admin permissions then this will succeed and take you into a further menu of options. Does it?
;

Old 10-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Binx B

The alternative is to let Mohican or whoever run it up the flag pole and let them fix it. In the mean time, we all move on because no one else cares.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,379

The weirdest thing - every time I post on the site the cleats on my shoes get a little thinner.

Soon enough there will be no clicking as I move along.

Strange world it is, aye, and I'm just the scallywag to make the most of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Pierce For This Useful Post:

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe