WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Symbolism!!!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Birb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 6
Default Symbolism!!!

Hey, I'm new here and I've been looking around the boards and finding you're all better than me ^^".

Let me just get to the point. While I was reading a comic on webtoons the author said that they usually colored things they disliked navy blue in their comics, so I'd like to ask you guys; is there any sort of symbolism you like to use in things you write?

Me, for example, I like using the meanings of flowers in what I write. Scarlet Pimpernel is symbolic of change, Petunias represent anger, etc.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:23 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,782

("...naah, none of us are any better than you there, where none of us have any more life than anyone else, instead we're all just faced with a simple choice if we write at alll, that of either finding out who we are inside by what comes out, or compromising to externals for the sake of trinkets of the moneygod or for mere trapping of society, oh yes that "fame and fortune" as you humans put it, sounds more like "vain and cheap" if you ask me..." voiced the goblin looking up a Bird first to see if his eye were not met with frown of contempt for not being able to write eloquently like most others did here, and then looking down to his hands, he confided "...can't say that I use any symbolism myself, yet this slot is always hungry here, and that muse keeps dragging me into her plots, then there's death who reminds me not to dillydally now, moreover I dare say yet more ghosts show up tonight to have me go all over my past again if I so let them, but if only they were just symbolic Bird then I wouldn't have to put with it really...", while outside his apartment the winter's moon was as a white flower in the hazy night's sky that had followed him home from work in the cold it seemed, whereupon the goblin perked up a bit and asked "...care to walk with me a while, I'm not such bad company considering...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-02-2017 at 03:00 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 06:01 PM
Birb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 6

I mean, if that's a serious question then...yes? Or more probably I misinterpreted what you said and made a dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birb For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 848

I donít think about symbolism much. Sometimes I use foreshadowing or ideas to set a mood for a scene, but Iím not smart enough to plot symbolism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,782

Originally Posted by Birb View Post
I mean, if that's a serious question then...yes? Or more probably I misinterpreted what you said and made a dumb.
("...no, I'm on the level, and would be only too happy to converse with you now..." replied the goblin enjoying his walk as it were, the moon probably thought them both lunatics though, whereupon the goblin cupped the moon in his hand obligingly, and then added "...yet I imagine that you and I see things quite differently here, here being both the world one creates online, and the persona one chooses while in this world now, mine is as you see it then, yet most writers slip through the memory of their readers because they're foolishly keep trying to bring their readers to their works written elsewhere just like so many door to door salesmen would, perhaps their fate is so well deserved for having little or no persona to go by, I mean would you buy a book by someone you don't know, I wouldn't, moreover what is the point of the plot if they can't remember you by it....", the goblin let go the moon a moment, smiled and then turned back to Birb relating "...your posts are your ambassadors, your persona is who you are here too, and your readers surround you as we speak, would I be wrong in my assuption...", the moon wanted to be held again, while the goblin smiled hoping he wasn't being too forward in his friendliness)

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-06-2017 at 09:42 AM..
Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Birb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 6

Honestly, I haven't been on very many forums like this, but I have never thought of it that way. You have a very interesting and enlightening method of thought, I look forward to interacting with you in the future!
The Following User Says Thank You to Birb For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (11-03-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 PM
bluewpc (Online)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 34

I think people use symbolism whether they realize it or not and I dont believe thats limited to art. Its a rare individual that doesnt have a goal in life and the means whereby the goal is achieved often becomes a signifier of the goal.

If you wanted to build a house you would acquire knowledge about foundations and masonry and plumbing and electrical work but besides the practical acquisition of the skill sets they could be understood as heralds of the desire. Now thats pretty specific to the individual and theres more general or say more cultural symbols that could be employed.

Take the Tom Hanks character in Saving Private Ryan. Im going to spoil it now so quit reading if you havent seen it. So in the final battle this Captain who is tasked with saving the eponymous Private Ryan is shot through the hand. Now a pierced hand announces a christological figure and this is seen through in the Captain's sacrifice of his life to save Ryan.

Was it the intention of the director to include that? Its debatable. But symbolism need not be conscious. How many times have you seen a film tack on Genesis or Revelation to its title or how many Lazarus projects or serums or viruses have there been in video games? And those would be vacuous signifiers because without an understanding of that which is referenced the reference ends in a void.

Personally I employ symbolism probably more than I like. Terrence Malick talking about The Thin Red Line (I cant find the article but Ill hunt it down) said that he didnt want to include symbolism in the film, he wanted the images to possess the immediacy of reality or something to that effect. And the idea was if you erect a symbol then you are clearly communicating a certain idea but if there is no symbolism then the meaning is more open, more fundamental.

If youre obsessed with a theme or an idea then more often than not youll go and read what others have written about it. Ive always been obsessed with hell and the wonderful (and isnt that weird line to write) thing about that is that hell is infinite. Now some will argue thats not true because it would put hell on parity to heaven but leave that aside for the second but the infinite can accommodate infinitely and so you can monster up whatever you want and perverse it and make it a referent. Make it its own symbol. Of course anything can become a symbol because symbols are only the repetition of an image.

McCarthy wrote that truth was the direct apprehension of reality unmediated by symbol and for a long time I pondered this. It seems an easy thing to say but the question in me was well symbols are not abolished under this system. How can you understand mathematics without the language? The word always being at a remove from the object. One of the intrinisic claims in this line is that meaning is antecednet to language and so independent of language and then one day I remembered the Gnostic idea of the saved savior and it hit me that since everything is a manifestation of the infinite then by the virtue of mere existence everything also refers back to its genesis, that infinite wellspring of creation of which it is part, so that the signified and the signifer coexist in the same being. Spiegel Im Spiegel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluewpc For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 01:26 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,782

("...humans..." the goblin restarted liking the company he was in, then continuing "...it's all symbolism isn't it, why so, because nothing and no one is actually here, where all that is here are just words upon your screen, yet what do all these words do, well they represent meanings, creating worlds and personas by way of what is written here...", the day was fast taking over now, the winter's sun with its deception of warmth changed little towards the temperature though, it burst in as it were, meanwhile the goblin just went "...close your eyes now then try to recall those usernames you've come across to date here on this forum, for example how many posters then, their posts, etc., try also to recall their personas and how you imagine them to be behind that persona there, ah yes, so very difficult isn't it, a blur at best, now may I ask if you can possibly forget having conversed with a goblin like this, for try as you may I suspect that it's too late for you, and that the memory of me is just lodged there in your memory, too easy by half, you may open you're eyes again...", ah but didn't everybody know that goblins were not to be trusted even upon a fine day like this, the goblin smiled on, saying "...you're here now, so here is where we'll build up our replyships together if you like, where few will begrudge us the length of this post now, yet each post you do will decide whether they follow you on from there then, so welcome to this world of livewriting...", where a livewriter, well if the goblin could possibly be considered as one, was only ever a few posts away form his own oblivion in a sea of other readerships)

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-04-2017 at 04:22 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback