WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing > New Media

New Media Blog novels, podcasts, ebooks, and other writing technological newfangledness.

Formatting for Kindle

Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 AM
longknife (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 88
Icon7 Formatting for Kindle

I successfully uploaded two novels to Kindle and Nook and patted myself on the back for having done so.

Then, I figured out how to read what I'd put up for the whole world to see.

And they sucked!!!!!

I found a whole bunch of stupid formatting errors. After untold hours of reviewing and revising and editing, they still showed up.

But, how on earth to fix them?

Well, I came up with a partial answer and posted it on my blog. If you're having similar problems, check it out at http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com/2011/03...or-kindle.html

And, all comments/hints/suggestions welcomed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The history of the California missions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life in the military and general ramblings

My latest story

Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 PM
GravitysRainbow (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Send a message via Skype™ to GravitysRainbow
Icon6 How to keep your book's good looks

I've found that formatting for different ereaders is hands down the hardest part of publishing your book online (once the book is written!). Without a good deal of expertise in html and coding in general, it can be impossible for authors to make their eBooks look anything like the original document. Pictures can pop in and out of existence, page breaks and titles loose any sense of complacency, and that's before you try to add a table of contents.
There are companies that offer to format your book for you, but they charge no less than $150 for one book. So if you have a friend or family member who can manipulate html, I'd ask them for help. If not you're left with two options.

1. Download several programs, like amazon's free "kindle previewer" and get to work. It may take a week or two to work out the knots in your ebooks design, but any book can be tackled with enough persistence.

2. Go to my site at [site edited] I've been personally converting books for authors for a few months now, and with great results. I even have a gallery of completed conversions so you can see exactly what you're getting. If you want your ebook online and looking good, I'm your man

Last edited by Firefly; 08-25-2011 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Edited out site
Old 08-26-2011, 03:26 PM
longknife (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 88

Thanks for the response!!

It took some work, but I finally figured out how to do the correct formatting for both Nook and Kindle and got everything uploaded correctly.

I can almost think myself as an expert at it!

The history of the California missions

Life in the military and general ramblings

My latest story

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing > New Media