WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Rebecca

Old 04-19-2014, 06:40 PM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon3 Rebecca

Rebecca
Hi my name is Rebecca! There is nothing special about me that I can think of . I have one Brother Bill we call him Slim . I was a victim of rape at a young age around 7 or 8 I try to forget it ,it was somewhere around that age. I am from the south and moved to the North after the rape. I am not close to my brother as I use to be , he feels like it’s his fault. He has pretty much turned into a functional drunk .My father is a hard worker ,he takes care of everyone and tries to manage my mother since her near breakdown. Ask me anything .

Old 04-20-2014, 06:04 AM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

Well Rebecca, so far you haven't really told us much about yourself so let's cover the basics some.
What time period are you from? I am assuming it is modern day but one can never be sure.
What country do you live in?
Can you be more specific than just South to North? Are we talking rural or urban? If it is cities then what cities are they and how big are they?
How old are you?
When you say "I moved" are you referring to just yourself or your entire family?
What age group would you be more comfortable telling your story to?
The Following User Says Thank You to Enrigo For This Useful Post:
writergal (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 PM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon6 Rebecca

I was born in 1960, but my life changing event occurred in 1968 or 1969 I try to forget. I live in the United States, Mississippi a rural area. I moved to Chicago with my Aunt , my Mom’s sister after the rape I was 8 or 9 then . I just turned 22. I would be most comfortable telling my story to women in their early 30’s to mid-40’s. I want to keep them interested and not just spew out my life in chronological order like a resume or time line. The story takes place in 1960's .

Last edited by writergal; 04-21-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 02:45 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

how do you mean you have just turned 22?
you mean you moved to Chicago when you were 22?1960 up to now 2014 is not 22 it is 53.
the other thing
why have you chosen rape and at the age of 8/7?
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon

Last edited by Nacia; 04-21-2014 at 02:49 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Nacia /Rebecca

The story takes place in the 60's . I will later tell about how the rape was a turning point that changed my life and sent me on a different path . The story I am telling is about overcoming obstacles and life changing events .
Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Jynx76 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 44

Does it bother you to not be as close to your brother as you used to be?

Last edited by Jynx76; 04-22-2014 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Adjustment to fit forum guidelines
Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

So let's see if we got this right. From your viewpoint you are now 22 years old and the year is 1982. The story you are wanting to tell covers your life during the 60's and 70's and how it was affected by the rape. Is that correct? The reason I ask is because it is important to know in order to understand your point of view.

What is your ancestry?

OOC: Jynx, I know you are new so thought I should let you know that this section is for character development not story development. It is designed to help the writer figure out personality traits.

Last edited by Enrigo; 04-21-2014 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Added OOC
The Following User Says Thank You to Enrigo For This Useful Post:
Jynx76 (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 AM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon8

Originally Posted by Jynx76 View Post
Yes, it bothers me that my brother and I are not close,we barely speak. I have heard that he has turned to alcohol
Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 PM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon8

[QUOTE=Enrigo;648639]So let's see if we got this right. From your viewpoint you are now 22 years old and the year is 1982. The story you are wanting to tell covers your life during the 60's and 70's and how it was affected by the rape. Is that correct? The reason I ask is because it is important to know in order to understand your point of view.

What is your ancestry?

All of the above is correct Enrigo . I am African American from the south Mississippi if I did not mention earlier . The stories will cove my life from the rape up until present day which I would be now in my 50's. The most life changing event up until 22 was the rape , but I have moved on , I think . Sometimes it haunts me not often but it sits in the back of my mind in my brightest moments making me wonder if they would not be brighter had not this happened to me . Or it makes me wonder if I would have obtained my goal sooner if this terrible thing had not happened to me . It has even caused me to doubt my faith at times .
Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

Your world is becoming much clearer now. Think back to before the rape. Try to remember what kind of child you were. Were there other kids around your age that you use to run with or was it mainly you and your brother?

What did you do for fun? Were you more into playing with dolls or were you more the type that would have been out chasing fireflies and catching tadpoles and crawdads?

Did you have to spend time doing chores? Did you have to help your parents with odd jobs in order to help support the family?

Were you close with your family? Are there any memories that stand out about your mother or father, good or bad?

Any memories of going to church? What about get-togethers after church with extended family and neighbors? Were you the shy one or more the one who wanted to be involved in everything, maybe even a bit of a show-off?

The civil rights movement was going strong during that time, especially in Mississippi. You may have been too young to have taken much notice of it but Iím sure it would have been discussed by the adults. You may have even had marches or protests happening close by. I would assume that there was a lot of tension in the air.

Were there any incidents that stood out for you? You donít have to go into any detail; yes or no will suffice. If so how did you feel? Were you frightened or did you get caught up in the excitement, or maybe even a bit of both? How old were you the first time you became aware of racial inequality or did you even notice it?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 AM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon2 Enrigo / Rebecca

Your world is becoming much clearer now. Think back to before the rape. Try to remember what kind of child you were. Were there other kids around your age that you use to run with or was it mainly you and your brother?

Before the rape I was pretty much carefree as most children are . I use to chase fire flies , harrass my brothers and friends and I was definitely a daddy's girl , when he was home .

What did you do for fun? Were you more into playing with dolls or were you more the type that would have been out chasing fireflies and catching tadpoles and crawdads?*

I somewhat liked dolls but I enjoyed being outside more around the other children.

Did you have to spend time doing chores? Did you have to help your parents with odd jobs in order to help support the family?*
I helped out when I could with chores. My mother always thought I could do more than I would admit to . My father would always say she is too little ,give her a year or two . I use to hand my Mom the close pins to hang the sheets and attempt to sweep the porch which she hated. That was about it.

Were you close with your family? Are there any memories that stand out about your mother or father, good or bad?
We wereas close s many of the family’s in those days . The main goal was surviving and tending to the farm . I was closer to my Dad because he always let me have my way . I was the only girl in the house of 7 boys . My mom was firm and thought that I should be learning more domestic things to land a descent husband.

Any memories of going to church? What about get-togethers after church with extended family and neighbors? Were you the shy one or more the one who wanted to be involved in everything, maybe even a bit of a show-off?

I liked the church events that was one of the main events every week , I felt free when I was there . My mind could wonder and people would just think I was engulfed in the sermon. One of my favorite memories was the easter egg hunts after church and the church socials. I use to love to see the old ladys in their beautiful hats. I could have passed on the mixture of scents from the various old lady perfumes.
/yuck !

The civil rights movement was going strong during that time, especially in Mississippi. You may have been too young to have taken much notice of it but I’m sure it would have been discussed by the adults. You may have even had marches or protests happening close by. I would assume that there was a lot of tension in the air.* Yes, all I remember my parents saying is we can't do this or that . We can't go here or there. My why nots where never answered to my satisfaction if at all.

Were there any incidents that stood out for you? You don’t have to go into any detail; yes or no will suffice. If so how did you feel? Were you frightened or did you get caught up in the excitement, or maybe even a bit of both? How old were you the first time you became aware of racial inequality or did you even notice it?

The first time I noticed racial disrespect when a man kept calling my dad boy and he never corrected him . I was even in the store playing with a little white girl, she let me see her dollie , her mother came over and snatched her hand away and threw the doll at me and said she can have it it's ruined. I loved that peach face dolly with the blue sparkling eyes.

Last edited by writergal; 04-25-2014 at 08:22 PM..
Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

So it was a fairly typical childhood for a young girl in those parts. It does sound like you had just a touch of tomboy in you but only a touch. Probably has something to do with having so many brothers.
The church was interesting. Most children at that age get restless but you enjoyed it. You said your mind could wonder. Did you mean wander? If so, did you enjoy daydreaming?

So letís skip ahead some. You said you were sent to Chicago. Did you understand why you were sent there? Here I want to make a clear distinction between know and understand.
I would imagine that such a drastic change would have been both traumatic and frightening, especially after what you went through back home. I would think a natural response would be to withdraw into oneself but that is not always the case. Sometimes people will latch onto someone, afraid to be out of their sight. Others might lash out in anger at the smallest incident. For some it can be a mixture. How would you describe your reaction your first few weeks in Chicago?

What was the neighborhood like? Was it primarily inner-city poor or more suburban? How long before you made any new friends? Did any of your brothers move with you? How was your initial relationship with your Aunt?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:29 PM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon6

Yes, it bothers me a lot that my brother and I are no longer close . It is a very awkward relationship now.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Jynx76 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 44

Originally Posted by writergal View Post
Yes, it bothers me a lot that my brother and I are no longer close . It is a very awkward relationship now.
To which brother are you referring here? If you have seven, what makes this one so special to you?

Like Enrigo, I am also curious as to how you adjusted to the move to Chicago and the relationship you forged with your aunt while there.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 PM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon6

To which brother are you referring here? If you have seven, what makes this one so special to you?

Like Enrigo, I am also curious as to how you adjusted to the move to Chicago and the relationship you forged with your aunt while there.
Slim will probably be the only brother that I will talk about by name . The relationship with my aunt is very strange , she is nothing like my mother and her demeanor is nothing like anything that /I have ever encountered in life, strange , rude woman .
Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 PM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon12

So it was a fairly typical childhood for a young girl in those parts. It does sound like you had just a touch of tomboy in you but only a touch. Probably has something to do with having so many brothers.
The church ways interesting. Most children at that age get restless but you enjoyed it. You said your mind could wonder. Did you mean wander? If so, did you enjoy daydreaming? Yes , wander is what I meant . I never really notice I was doing it, wandering that is until my grandfather whom was the minister would give me ďThe look ď.
Right about then I would feel what felt like a bee sting on my arm form my grandmother. I always sat with them during church. Church was the only time I got to see my grandparents because they never visited , they didnít like my daddy . They figured my mama was the biggest fool in Slidell for marrying so low .

So letís skip ahead some. You said you were sent to Chicago. Did you understand why you were sent there? Here I want to make a clear distinction between know and understand.I did not understand at the time why I was sent there only that Mama said it was for my own good.Later I understood it was because what happened.
I would imagine that such a drastic change would have been both traumatic and frightening, especially after what you went through back home. I would think a natural response would be to withdraw into oneself but that is not always the case. Sometimes people will latch onto someone, afraid to be out of their sight. Others might lash out in anger at the smallest incident. For some it can be a mixture. How would you describe your reaction your first few weeks in Chicago? I was very frightened and observant the incident had made me weary of everyone and their motives.

What was the neighborhood like? Was it primarily inner-city poor or more suburban? How long before you made any new friends? Did any of your brothers move with you? How was your initial relationship with your Aunt? The neighborhood was inner-city poor but not dirt poor. I met one girl my first week but she only became my friend after about 8 months. My aunt was a fat stumpy witch and thatís all I want to say about that , for now
Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 PM
writergal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

I forgot to answer this question.

Like Enrigo, I am also curious as to how you adjusted to the move to Chicago and the relationship you forged with your aunt while there.[/QUOTE]
I was very frightned and observant the incident had made me weary of everyone and their motives.

My aunt was a fat stumpy witch and thatís all I want to say about that , for now.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:47 PM
DeeBishop (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Enrigo, I have to say that you ask amazing questions! You are really good at bringing out the characterization. It's great to watch as writergal filled out her character before our very eyes. And writergal, I think you got more from those here already, than I could hope to add to. Very impressive.

Dee
Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM
RyleyAlexander (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

I'm confused on how you can not remember even what age you were when you were assaulted and how you can feel so comfortable talking about. As a victim myself, I hate even saying the 'r' word and I remember exactly how old I was (seven ironically enough). I remember too well, despite how hard I try to forget it.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics