WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Luke - not interested in life

Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 PM
gefengb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default Luke - not interested in life

Hi. My name is Luke. I'm 29.
It's not that something happened that made me want to die. I guess it's that I never really saw any point to living. When I was a kid, I thought there was some kind of secret world I'd be let into once I reached that covetted "You'll know when you're older" stage. But it never came, and it finally dawned on me that this is it. This is all there will be. This run of the mill rat race.
The only reason I can think of not to committ suicide is the pain it will cause my family. But really, is that a good enough reason to live?

Please, feel free to ask me anything.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Okay. When I was two, I remember thinking that when I was three, that would be it - I'd be all growed up, ready to hang with the big dogs in the front room, staying up past my bedtime and pronouncing big words in a low voice like I knew what I was doing instead of just wondering what the hell was going on.

Come the day (my third birthday), when I found out that, other than a little cake and ice cream it was all the same, did I want to kill myself?

Hell, no! There's a lot more to life than hanging with the big dogs in the front room. Look around. I've been in some miserable situations. Only a couple of times did I think it was not worth it and they involved excruciating pain that I saw no end of.

Hang in there and learn to appreciate what you have instead of bemoaning what you think you don't have. Believe me, it's all good for a story afterward.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:03 PM
RaineDrop (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 45

Well, maybe a 9-5 lifestyle just doesn't suit you. You're not one for mediocrity, clearly. Why don't you become a nomad and travel the world? Have you ever considered that it may be your own small-mindedness preventing you from seeing the big picture?
<<
The Following User Says Thank You to RaineDrop For This Useful Post:
RyleyAlexander (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:20 AM
RyleyAlexander (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Have you tried finding a hobby? How's your love life? Your uh, ok I'll just say it, sex life? Maybe you just need to have a little fun. Head out for a night of drunken debauchery and go a little crazy! It may be just what you need to wake yourself up out of that sleepy little life you're trapped in. What do ya say?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Icon4 Luke- Not interested in Life

Luke- as a character I want to understand you. I may even like you.

But, this talk about death is bothering me.
You must have something you can hold on to. Even if it's a job. Where has all your
spirit gone?

Something new could probably help you.
You probably don't have many friends. I see your type hanging around alone.

Just keep going at it.

Eventually something will break for you.
No despair- it is the Decision.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 AM
gefengb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default Mice in a maze

Hi everyone and thank you for answering.
I'm not an unhappy person, I'd say. I go through the motions, even enjoy life pretty much. It's just void, boring, meaningless. The best image I have to describe it is mice in a maze.
So your suggestions that I find a hobby, leave the well treaded path, find an adventure - just sound to me like giving a pep talk to the mouse, trying to convince him to continue running through the maze.
Why can't I just say - thank you for inviting me to this game, but no thanks, I'm not interested, though I am glad you enjoy it and wish you luck on your journey.

I know in our world, this makes me considered weird, crazy maybe even. But for me, and I hope this doesn't sound condescending, this seems like it's the other mice trying desperately to justify their running in the maze, convincing themselves its the journey, not the destination, that counts, that are deluding themselves.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics